Question about severe back pain

So I've never really had any abnormal back pain beyond just aches and pains from work but this morning I woke up and the pain is unreal whenever I move. Especially when I try to sit, stand or bend over.

Is it possible to simply throw it out by sleeping in a bad position like can happen with your neck? And if so will it eventually return to normal sometime today?

Not sure if I should be concerned since I've never experienced this before.

alright, now that you have gotten all the advice i would have given you...

how are you feeling?

and

how old is your mattress?

So I've never really had any abnormal back pain beyond just aches and pains from work but this morning I woke up and the pain is unreal whenever I move. Especially when I try to sit, stand or bend over.

Is it possible to simply throw it out by sleeping in a bad position like can happen with your neck? And if so will it eventually return to normal sometime today?

how are you feeling?

and

A bit better. Still very sore but much looser. I was so stiff earlier it took forever just to sit on the toilet. (sorry for the visual) lol

Took Thursday off and not going back to work till Monday.

As for my bed, its about 3 months old. Paid a fortune and hate it. Sleep on the couch frequently now. Gave up my Sterns and Foster for one of those memory foam bed. Big mistake.

It's lower back with no radiating pain. Thanks for the tips

I've thrown my back out numerous times and all of the occasions were the same except the most recent. All of the previous times, I had strained a muscle and in effect got a cramp and heat worked great to loosen it up and then correct it.

The most recent time, I strained a ligament or tendon which swelled up and pressed against a vertebrae. Heat made it worse. Ice packs helped big time. Stretching is what ultimately solved it though.

I tried to find the web site for you but could not. Stretching in the best case for me is a top to bottom regimen.

1. Standing up, relax your chin to your chest. You should feel a pull down the center of your back. Turn your head left and allow your head to fall that way stretching the shoulder muscles then right and do the same again. Repeat this.
2. Do shoulder rolls forward and backward. The article said as many up to 10 as is comfortable.
3. Stretch your sides by reaching up and over head pointing the finger of your right hand left over your head then point the fingers of your left hand right. Hold each stretch for a 10 count.
4. Keeping your leg straight, place your heel on a raised object. In the last event for me, that object was the fist step of a kitchen stool about the height of a shoe box. Hold it for a ten count on each leg.
5. Lay on your back with your legs bent up. Lace your fingers around your knee and pull one leg toward your chest and hold for a ten count. Do the same with the other leg.

All of these stretches will help a particular set of muscles for you and you'll feel where the stretch is happening.

Your back is a complex web of muscles, tendons, ligaments and these all act on the vertebrae which in turn can really affect your spinal cord.

I have done my stretching religiously for two years and have not had a reoccurrence. It was bad enough so i never want to go through that again. It was 4 weeks before I could move naturally again.

Good luck. Seeing a doctor will get you some muscle relaxers and these are often helpful to correct the event. The stretching will protect you into the future.

I'm gettin some muscle relaxers tomorrow. Though I'll admit I hate taking pills, hate the feeling they give me. But in extreme cases I just deal with it. I may also try one of those icey heat wrap things tomorrow.

AND THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT. :)

I agree with Wry (gasp) on icing rather than heat. Icing will reduce swelling.

I agree with Sarah re: taking Motrin.

I also agree with whoever stated NOT to see a Chiro!

Hopefully you will read this before you go to a doc.
Ask about pain relief patches. They work wonders for lower back problems.
While there is nothing wrong with muscle relaxants, I am a firm believer in trying other methods before having to resort to RX meds. (although asking the Doc for backup muscle relaxers would be a good idea)

I am going to dx you over the web and say you probably need to build up muscle in your lower back. Ask the doc about that also.

I speak from experience, unfortunately.

GL!

It's lower back with no radiating pain. Thanks for the tips

I've thrown my back out numerous times and all of the occasions were the same except the most recent. All of the previous times, I had strained a muscle and in effect got a cramp and heat worked great to loosen it up and then correct it.

The most recent time, I strained a ligament or tendon which swelled up and pressed against a vertebrae. Heat made it worse. Ice packs helped big time. Stretching is what ultimately solved it though.

I tried to find the web site for you but could not. Stretching in the best case for me is a top to bottom regimen.

1. Standing up, relax your chin to your chest. You should feel a pull down the center of your back. Turn your head left and allow your head to fall that way stretching the shoulder muscles then right and do the same again. Repeat this.
2. Do shoulder rolls forward and backward. The article said as many up to 10 as is comfortable.
3. Stretch your sides by reaching up and over head pointing the finger of your right hand left over your head then point the fingers of your left hand right. Hold each stretch for a 10 count.
4. Keeping your leg straight, place your heel on a raised object. In the last event for me, that object was the fist step of a kitchen stool about the height of a shoe box. Hold it for a ten count on each leg.
5. Lay on your back with your legs bent up. Lace your fingers around your knee and pull one leg toward your chest and hold for a ten count. Do the same with the other leg.

All of these stretches will help a particular set of muscles for you and you'll feel where the stretch is happening.

Your back is a complex web of muscles, tendons, ligaments and these all act on the vertebrae which in turn can really affect your spinal cord.

I have done my stretching religiously for two years and have not had a reoccurrence. It was bad enough so i never want to go through that again. It was 4 weeks before I could move naturally again.

Good luck. Seeing a doctor will get you some muscle relaxers and these are often helpful to correct the event. The stretching will protect you into the future.

I'm gettin some muscle relaxers tomorrow. Though I'll admit I hate taking pills, hate the feeling they give me. But in extreme cases I just deal with it. I may also try one of those icey heat wrap things tomorrow.

AND THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT. :)

Whoopsie! forgot one.

Between #'s 3 & 4, sit in a normal chair with no padding and a pretty level seat. Separate knees and stretch forward to stretch the lower back. If you do it right, you feel the stretching and can sit back up. Because your knees are spread, you can use that leverage to get back up straight.

how are you feeling?

and

A bit better. Still very sore but much looser. I was so stiff earlier it took forever just to sit on the toilet. (sorry for the visual) lol

As for my bed, its about 3 months old. Paid a fortune and hate it. Sleep on the couch frequently now. Gave up my Sterns and Foster for one of those memory foam bed. Big mistake.

I hate those beds too. I have a pillow made of that and when I tried using it, it hurt my head., I woke up with the worst stiff neck.

how are you feeling?

and

This may be a good part of your problem. Sleeping on the couch is not good for your back.

Did you look at your guarantee on the bed? It could be a 90 day money back one...

how are you feeling?

and

I hate those beds too. I have a pillow made of that and when I tried using it, it hurt my head., I woke up with the worst stiff neck.

I like the memory foam toppers but not sure about a whole bed of the stuff. I have a great Sealey with a pillow-top..and added on a topper.

I love the memory foam pillows! The contoured ones i hate..they do hurt me. But I have one that is solid and firm.. great. I got others that are little chunks so you can squish them around how you want them. And... lol. I got a new one today, one with the "cool" foam.

yes... i love my pillow mountain :tongue:

I like the memory foam toppers but not sure about a whole bed of the stuff. I have a great Sealey with a pillow-top..and added on a topper.

I love the memory foam pillows! The contoured ones i hate..they do hurt me. But I have one that is solid and firm.. great. I got others that are little chunks so you can squish them around how you want them. And... lol. I got a new one today, one with the "cool" foam.

Or he can just cut his losses and sell it, put an ad in the paper. There are people who like them so maybe he can get some of his money back.

Oh yeah, the pillow with the little beads inside. I just have a little one and it is great, it's at the top of my pillow mountain.. I like the pillow top mattresses.

Oh yeah, the pillow with the little beads inside. I just have a little one and it is great, it's at the top of my pillow mountain.. I like the pillow top mattresses.

The pillow is not the little bead one... though i have seen them. They are sorta like the neck support travel pillows. The ones with chunks.. are like large marshmallow size bits of memory foam. You can punch them around and mold them to your head and neck.

Pillow mountain.....lol.... girl thing
:tongue:

The last two people I've known who have experienced sudden, excruciating back pain had terminal, previously undetected, cancer that killed them quickly. One within three months, one within 2 days.

Be careful, keep an eye on it and don't let your doctor brush you off if you think it needs to be screened.

The last two people I've known who have experienced sudden, excruciating back pain had terminal, previously undetected, cancer that killed them quickly. One within three months, one within 2 days.

Be careful, keep an eye on it and don't let your doctor brush you off if you think it needs to be screened.

You must be fun at parties. :D

yes... i love my pillow mountain :tongue:[/COLOR]

The pillow is not the little bead one... though i have seen them. They are sorta like the neck support travel pillows. The ones with chunks.. are like large marshmallow size bits of memory foam. You can punch them around and mold them to your head and neck.

Sometimes when I am travelling, I long for my bed and my mountain of pillows. I think I actually love it.

:lol: :D

:lol: Sounds like a slipped disc and a pinched nerve to me...

Sometimes when I am travelling, I long for my bed and my mountain of pillows. I think I actually love it.

I know what you mean....i call ours the nest.

Find a good massage therapist. And maybe buy one of these:

relieve back pain | back pain | teeter-inversion.com

hpFeatures_noFlash.jpg

I've had tremendous success with both.

Forum List

Back