Question about marriage for the non-religious

• Banned
Which are what? To make it more expensive to break up?

If two people are in a committed relationship and trust each other enough to get married in the first place, why do they need to get married?

If two people are in a committed relationship and trust each other enough to get married in the first place, why do they need to get married?
State licensed marriages are a big cash flow racket for bureaucrats and the judicial-industrial complex.

It's what happens virtually every time you make the state a partner in any venture.

Benefits to marriage are several.......

Taxes, property sharing, visitation rights in hospitals, etc.

But know what I think marriage should be like? An enlistment contract like what the military has. You sign up for x amount of years, and at the end of the contract? Either re-up or go your separate ways.

It would only get expensive if you decide to divorce before the expiration date.

Yeah.........I could go for a marriage institution like that. I mean........nothing man made is ever forever, right?

Lawyers wouldn't like it though...........it would cut into their bottom line.

Since when has matrimony been solely a religious thing? Where does it state that marriage is only for those who hold religious beliefs? Marriage need have nothing to do with religion. It is a public legal act, not merely a private romantic declaration or religious rite. It is a contract between two people. Break the contract, you pay.

I figured since the g/f was already 8 months pregnant we should make it official. :D
We were married by a judge friend of mine and he did read the standard script, but we fashioned it around a pagan handfasting ceremony. BTW the judge is now serving jail time on federal charges LOL. Wife sez it's all null and void. ;)

except for the BENEFITS

they don't.

Since when has matrimony been solely a religious thing?

Well it was a religious thing before it was a gov't sponsored thing...

Wrong. You should check out the history of marriage. In early western civilisation marriage and divorce were always personal, civil agreements between the participants and did not need the stamp of governmental or religious approval.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but these are my reasons. My reasons are actually much more personal and really pretty tailored to my life. When I married the first time, it was because I'd gotten unintentionally pregnant and it seemed like the thing to do. Didn't take long to figure out how wrong I was on that.

If/When I marry my boyfriend, it will be purely for love. Purely because the idea of being able to call him my husband would thrill me to no end. Because I want him to have all the legal rights and responsibilities of being my children's stepfather, and for him to have the opportunity to adopt them (something we've already discussed). The tax benefits, and any other rights that come with marriage would be secondary to me. Well..not all the rights. The right to decide how to handle his medical care and his life should something horrible happen to him is also rather important to me, as I do know his wishes, and am not entirely certain his mother would respect them. His father would, but not sure about his mom.

Even without the religious aspect of it, there are still numerous reasons why a non-religious person might choose to marry. Those reasons, in my opinion anyway, are just as valid as those of any religious person. I don't pretend to know the entire history of marriage and how it came about, but I am fairly certain that there is more to it than simply religion, with other things thrown in later.

My wife & I are both non-religious, and we got married for one reason. We knew we loved each other, were going to spend the rest of our lives together, and wanted to enjoy all the rights and privileges that marriage provides. 19 years later, we are still together, and are planning to renew our commitment next year in front of the judge that made it legal all those years ago.

That being said, I have no problem with homosexual couples getting married. It does not hurt anyone else if they love each other enough to commit their lives to each other. And what does it hurt anyone else if they get the same protections as everyone else? They would also be committing to the same liabilities if the marriage falls apart. They would still have to deal with the division of property, and child support & visitation if applicable.

Unless you can prove that their lives directly impact yours, let them persue their own happiness, and suffer the pains if it does not work out. As far as the religious aspect, I'm sure they know how you feel, and will not push for church marriages.

Forum List

Back