Question about a Higher education system in the USA

andrius

Rookie
May 27, 2013
I'd like to ask about higher education system in the USA.
In the European country I live, in order to get a Master's degree in any university in any field one has to carry out a scholarly research and write a Master's thesis, which is a pretty big and long paper that has do be defended in front of comission. From what I read on Wikipedia, it seems like for a Master's degree in the USA in some fields, one can choose between conducting a research and writing a Master's thesis or concentrating on the practical side of the field, hence not having to write that scholarly thesis. Did I understand that right? Maybe someone could explain this system to me in more detail?

Basically you just have to have a very high tolerance to alcohol, and very wealthy parents to earn a degree here in America.

In the European country I live, in order to get a Master's degree in any university in any field one has to carry out a scholarly research and write a Master's thesis, which is a pretty big and long paper that has do be defended in front of comission. From what I read on Wikipedia, it seems like for a Master's degree in the USA in some fields, one can choose between conducting a research and writing a Master's thesis or concentrating on the practical side of the field, hence not having to write that scholarly thesis. Did I understand that right? Maybe someone could explain this system to me in more detail?

You are correct. Depends on the area you are studying.

No thesis needed for a Masters in Business Administration, for example.

Usually no thesis needed for a Masters in Education, another example.

Really depends on the school and the area of study.

Remember (or learn for the first time) the USA does not have GOVERNMENT CONTROLLED and CENTRALIZED educational system at ANY level of education.

It might be more productive to conduct "original research" in Chemistry than write a "scholarly thesis". Think about why that is.

Higher education is changing. At one time universities were for the sons of gentlemen. Their purpose was to keep the sons of gentlemen separate from the riff-raff; for the sons to know each had their place in society. Now many look on higher education as the means to a job, sort of a trade school thing.
I think the big change came with the GI Bill from WWII. The University of Chicago president, Hutchins predicted at the time that the GI Bill would make universities into hobo jungles.
It mayl take some years but I think most higher education will change to meet the needs of America and the sons of gentlemen will have to find another type of institution to keep their separation and status.

Higher education is changing. At one time universities were for the sons of gentlemen. Their purpose was to keep the sons of gentlemen separate from the riff-raff; for the sons to know each had their place in society. Now many look on higher education as the means to a job, sort of a trade school thing.
I think the big change came with the GI Bill from WWII. The University of Chicago president, Hutchins predicted at the time that the GI Bill would make universities into hobo jungles.
It mayl take some years but I think most higher education will change to meet the needs of America and the sons of gentlemen will have to find another type of institution to keep their separation and status.

What I don't like is white people's affirmative action that drag down the system by pushing ahead Bush and McCain and Romney and others of that ilk.

McCain finishing 5th from the BOTTOM of of 899 and Republicans see nothing wrong with that. How can that be?

The important thing to understand about "higher education" in the U.S. is that it is a business. Schools create and develop programs to entice specific groups, and graduate programs are quite lucrative.

Masters Degree programs associated with (primary and secondary) education often are created to attract teachers, who must complete a number of "graduate" credits in order to get permanent certification as teachers. If you can create a "Masters" program that allows them, with the addition of a few more classes over what is mandatory anyway, to get a Masters Degree, then so much the better. They even get additional pay for having a masters degree. Such programs usually require only coursework, no research paper and no comprehesive exams.

Draw your own conclusions.

Thank you people for replies.

A related, but might be considered an off-topic question: I have a bachelor's degree in Information Sciences. I can either study at master's program of Knowledge managment, or take some classes that I consider important from it. I understand that diploma "wouldn't hurt", but I hate carrying out academic research. In this field, I see no point for it and it's really hard for me to do things I consider pointless. I mean, some people are academics by nature and just love doing that stuff theoretical stuff, but I'm not one of them. But to get a diploma in my country, you have to carry out a research and write a thesis. So it's a question of whether a master's diploma is as necessary as oxygen these days.

Check specific college programs in their on-line course catalogs. They will tell you what is required for the degree.

I apologize, I wasn't specific enough with my question. I'd like to know: is a Master's diploma is a "must-have" these days in social sciences?

Forum List

Back