Putting armed police in Schools... and who is behind it...

OriginalShroom

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2013
No, it's not those "evil" NRA types that suggested it after the Newton shootings...

You know, the idea that every member of the Main Stream Media and nearly every Democrat ranted about how stupid it was.... Surely you remember that, don't you?

Guess what...

Obama shifts $45 million for armed cops in schools ? a la NRA - Washington Times

Obama shifts $45 million for armed cops in schools — a la NRA

It’s almost like a page right out of the National Rifle Association playbook: The Obama administration has announced millions of dollars in funding to put armed officers in the nation’s schools.

Specifically, the Department of Justice said $45 million is going to “create 356 new school resource officer positions,” CNN reported. The money is coming from Community Oriented Policing Services grant dollars — and first up on the list of intended recipients is Newtown, Conn., the site of the massive Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. The money to Newtown will fund two new officers in the town’s schools, Breitbart reported.

Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. said of the grants: “In the wake of past tragedies, it’s clear that we need to be willing to take all possible steps to ensure that our kids are safe when they go to school.”

But the NRA was way ahead on that belief. Just days after the Sandy Hook shooting occurred, Wayne LaPierre, the NRA’s executive vice president and chief executive officer, suggested more armed guards inside the schools. He said that “we protect our banks … airports, office buildings, power plants [and] sports stadiums [with] armed security.” Why not kids in schools?

As Breitbart reported in December — in the wake of the Sandy Hook massacre and the Obama administration’s pledge to crack down on guns and Second Amendment rights — the president’s own children attend a school that staffs armed security guards. At Sidwell Friends School in Washington, 11 armed guards patrol the campus grounds. At the time of the report, the school was in process of hiring two more.

No, it's not those "evil" NRA types that suggested it after the Newton shootings...

You know, the idea that every member of the Main Stream Media and nearly every Democrat ranted about how stupid it was.... Surely you remember that, don't you?

Guess what...

Obama shifts $45 million for armed cops in schools ? a la NRA - Washington Times

Obama shifts $45 million for armed cops in schools — a la NRA

It’s almost like a page right out of the National Rifle Association playbook: The Obama administration has announced millions of dollars in funding to put armed officers in the nation’s schools.

Specifically, the Department of Justice said $45 million is going to “create 356 new school resource officer positions,” CNN reported. The money is coming from Community Oriented Policing Services grant dollars — and first up on the list of intended recipients is Newtown, Conn., the site of the massive Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. The money to Newtown will fund two new officers in the town’s schools, Breitbart reported.

Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. said of the grants: “In the wake of past tragedies, it’s clear that we need to be willing to take all possible steps to ensure that our kids are safe when they go to school.”

But the NRA was way ahead on that belief. Just days after the Sandy Hook shooting occurred, Wayne LaPierre, the NRA’s executive vice president and chief executive officer, suggested more armed guards inside the schools. He said that “we protect our banks … airports, office buildings, power plants [and] sports stadiums [with] armed security.” Why not kids in schools?

As Breitbart reported in December — in the wake of the Sandy Hook massacre and the Obama administration’s pledge to crack down on guns and Second Amendment rights — the president’s own children attend a school that staffs armed security guards. At Sidwell Friends School in Washington, 11 armed guards patrol the campus grounds. At the time of the report, the school was in process of hiring two more.

I think putting armed guards in schools is a bad idea, from a cost standpoint to the end point of providing more security. If I'm a lunatic hell bent on shooting up a school, I probably will find out if there is an armed guard. If there is, that armed guard is the first one I'm taking out, and then I'm taking his gun.

As much as I understand that many are against this idea, I believe we would be much better off having five to ten teachers/administrators with access to guns that are locked up securely throughout the school. If there ever is a situation, all of those teachers/administrators go for the guns and become armed. The benefits of going this route are numerous. First , there is very little extra cost put on the school system as teachers and administrators do not have to be paid to do this. The school system could pay for their training, as they should be professionally trained not just in how to use a weapon but how to react and when to react. Also, this can be left on a voluteer basis. Some teachers will prefer not to touch a gun under any circumstance, and that is quite okay. All they need is five to ten who already feel comfortable with a firearm. You don't want someone with a firearm who really isn't comfortable with it to begin with. The next obvious benefit is that it would put many more people with access to these guns, so from an odds perspective, there is a much greater chance to take out an attacker much quicker.

There really are not many good arguments against this idea, but there is one, and that is the fact that with more people possibly having guns trying to defend from an attacker, police arriving on the scene could find themselves in a situation of not knowing who the bad guy is and taking out a teacher accidentally. As part of the training I would think it a good idea that those with access to guns only use those guns in a defensive position rather than seeking out the shooter and trying to confront the shooter. Obviously if the shooter is in near proximity that would be a different scenario.

Forum List

Back