punished for pink uniforms

Againsheila

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2008
Federal Way WA
High school team gets technical for wearing pink cancer uniforms | Yardbarker.com

"The topic of paying tribute with uniforms and accessories at the professional level has taken on a life of its own in recent years, and apparently it’s an issue in high school as well. On Monday night, a Nebraska high school girls basketball team received a technical foul for supporting the Make-A-Wish Foundation. As part of a fundraising effort, the Burke High Bulldogs wore light pink uniforms for their game against Columbus. They were given the tech at the start of the second half."

Argue the rules as you wish, these students were trying to do the right thing and were punished for it, and our society wonders why our kids have lost all respect for our society.

High school team gets technical for wearing pink cancer uniforms | Yardbarker.com

"The topic of paying tribute with uniforms and accessories at the professional level has taken on a life of its own in recent years, and apparently it’s an issue in high school as well. On Monday night, a Nebraska high school girls basketball team received a technical foul for supporting the Make-A-Wish Foundation. As part of a fundraising effort, the Burke High Bulldogs wore light pink uniforms for their game against Columbus. They were given the tech at the start of the second half."

Argue the rules as you wish, these students were trying to do the right thing and were punished for it, and our society wonders why our kids have lost all respect for our society.

the older generation has been enforcing asinine rules prolly since time began...

and I 'spect the younger generation has been losing respect for authority ever since the first episode...

how 'bout a tune from back when I was young pup...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sick of all the 'pink shit' everywhere..... I have a novel idea,

rather than spending all that money on 'new uniforms' they used once, maybe twice... how about donating the money to breat cancer research and stop saying "look at me, Im wearing pink... Im better than you"?

Just an idea
:eusa_whistle:

:tomato:

rather than spending all that money on 'new uniforms' they used once, maybe twice... how about donating the money to breat cancer research and stop saying "look at me, Im wearing pink... Im better than you"?

Just an idea

The uniforms were to be auctioned off after the game....I suspect they planned to get more for them than they paid.

Giving of yourself is in no way saying "look at me I'm better than you". You may feel it is, but then it can only be because you are not giving of yourself.

The officials have to follow the rules

The opposing coach was being a prick for bringing it up in the first place

The rule in basketball of the home team wearing white has been around for ages. The refs' job is not to enforce only the rules he likes, either. He did the right thing. Hell, if he hadn't given them a T, the other team would have had a far more legitimate gripe.

Anyway, in high school a technical foul is two free throws and the ball for the other team. Unless the visiting team only won by a couple of points, it was pretty immaterial. If I were the home team coach, I would have said that my team is so committed to breast cancer awareness that we happily took the technical foul, since that's a pretty minor sacrifice compared to a mastectomy and/or death!

The rule in basketball of the home team wearing white has been around for ages. The refs' job is not to enforce only the rules he likes, either. He did the right thing. Hell, if he hadn't given them a T, the other team would have had a far more legitimate gripe.

Anyway, in high school a technical foul is two free throws and the ball for the other team. Unless the visiting team only won by a couple of points, it was pretty immaterial. If I were the home team coach, I would have said that my team is so committed to breast cancer awareness that we happily took the technical foul, since that's a pretty minor sacrifice compared to a mastectomy and/or death!

The opposing coach should have instructed his player to miss the free throw

It's called putting sportsmanship above a meaningless victory

and, heck... it's only chick basketball after all... and high school at that...

who the fuck cares who wins anyhow...

it's not like real sports... the ones that really matter...

I know you're being facetious, but the thing of it is that it's a teaching tool. Kids learn a lot about life from sports. Some of it good, some of it not so good.

I know you're being facetious, but the thing of it is that it's a teaching tool. Kids learn a lot about life from sports. Some of it good, some of it not so good.

What lesson did they learn here?

small-minded adults can be horses' asses...

and unreasonable rules are meant to be broken...

Last edited:

That there are some rules that suck, but you still have to follow them or run the risk of consequences.

Well technically (cough), the team was supporting the Make a Wish Foundation rather than cancer awareness, at least according to the linked article.

The topic of paying tribute with uniforms and accessories at the professional level has taken on a life of its own in recent years, but apparently it’s not as acceptable in high school. On Monday night, a Nebraska high school girls basketball team received a technical foul for supporting the Make-A-Wish Foundation. As part of a fundraising effort, the Burke High Bulldogs wore light pink uniforms for their game against Columbus. They were given the tech at the start of the second half.

According to the Omaha World-Herald, Columbus coach Dave Licari brought the issue to the officials’ attention at halftime. Technically, the home team is supposed to wear predominantly white uniforms. Since Burke had not informed anyone of the uniform change before the game, they were breaking the rules.

“It was a total mistake by me,” Bulldogs Athletic Director Kyle Rohrig said. “We had good intentions, but we made a mistake, and then there were consequences.”

The idea for the pink uniforms was the work of Burke assistant coach Tom Law. The uniforms were to be auctioned off after the game with all proceeds benefiting the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

“If they thought there was a problem, it should have been addressed before the game,” Burke head coach Luke Lueders said. “To have that happen at halftime caught us all off-guard.”

And rules are rules and if the rules say the home team wears white, then right or wrong, that is the rule. And there is probably a good reason for it to keep sporting events from becoming political statements such as changing to red uniforms to support a GOP candidate or a blue uniform to support a Democratic candidate or wearing pink as a protest against gay marriage or some such as that.

Where the coach had a valid complaint however, is that the issue was NOT addressed prior to the game starting. If there was a problem, it could have been pointed out during the warm up. Because it was not, and was not applied until half the game was over, I think the technical was way out of line.

Yeah ... like Olympic nose picking. Those are tough bastards.

Just an idea

The uniforms were to be auctioned off after the game....I suspect they planned to get more for them than they paid.

Giving of yourself is in no way saying "look at me I'm better than you". You may feel it is, but then it can only be because you are not giving of yourself.

OK.... I see your point.

i did'nt think of it that way (auctioning them off).
You are right.

Question I have to ask now is.... who is going to be buying the uniforms of young female basketball players.

No pervs allowed I hope
:eusa_eh:

Just an idea

OK.... I see your point.

i did'nt think of it that way (auctioning them off).
You are right.

Question I have to ask now is.... who is going to be buying the uniforms of young female basketball players.

No pervs allowed I hope
:eusa_eh:

prolly would command a premium price if they sent 'em over to Japan...

where, I kid you not, they actually have vending machines in subway stations that sell unwashed girls' panties...

Last edited:

I played USHL (hockey) and we (they) wore pink uniforms for the game..

United States Hockey League - "Pink In The Rink" A Success In Sioux City

Last edited:

Forum List

Back