Public vs. Private Sector Employment

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Most Americans are generally aware of, yet pay little attention to, a Federal law that is commonly referred to as "FMLA," which stands for the Family Medical Leave Act. This innocuous-sounding law provides that any employee in a sizable organization (very small businesses are exempt) can take up to twelve (12) weeks of unpaid leave (either consecutively or at different times) in any calendar year, in order to recover or help a family member recover from a health problem, without fear of losing their job.

An article in the local birdcage liner advises that 95% of the employees of the Allegheny County (PA - Pittsburgh) Jail are signed up for, and annually take full advantage of, the FMLA. That is to say, these employees take twelve full weeks of FMLA leave, in addition to their annual allotment of "regular" sick leave, vacation, holidays, and other assorted paid time off.

It is logical to assume that timekeeping in the Allegheny County Jail must be a nightmare, what with all the time off, and the need to keep that fine institution fully staffed, 24 hours a day, to keep the detainees in check. One may also correctly assume that overtime runs rampant in this institution, as guards are constantly called in to sub for those who are on one sort of paid absence or another. And parenthetically, since retirement benefits are based on earnings during the last three years of employment and NOT their annual base salary, this situation will cause Allegheny County's taxpayers to spend muchly for the foreseeable future.

But I have saved the best for last. Although the law provides for UNPAID leave under FMLA, for purposes of FMLA, all of these people are considered SALARIED, and thus they do not have their pay docked for the twelve weeks of absence provided under the Federal law. This is twelve weeks of unquestioned vacation (the County is not permitted to question any of it once a doctor's note is initially provided for the FMLA), required by Congress, and paid for by the gullible and constantly-abused taxpayers of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.

And prepare yourself for a shock: The managers at the Jail are beginning to suspect that there may be some abuses of FMLA. Did I mention that 95% of the Jail's employees are signed up?

...beginning to suspect...

For those of you who believe that public sector employment is similar to private sector employment, I give you EXHIBIT A.

Any private sector employer who tolerated this situation would be OUT OF BUSINESS. Any private sector manager who allowed this grotesque abuse to go on would be SUMMARILY TERMINATED. Any private sector employee who took such blatant advantage without clear documentary evidence of a family member is serious need would be fired or his application just thrown into the garbage can, where it belongs.

Without going into a lot of detail, Allegheny County is noteworthy for its consistent and energetic stimulus of new business and residential development OUTSIDE THE COUNTY. In all four directions - North, South, East, and West - there have arisen over the past 40 years energetic hubs of new business activity and vibrant suburban communities within mere feet of the Allegheny County Line, which business (and residential development) is spurred by two contrary factors: (1) the nearness to the Pittsburgh population and business community, and (2) avoidance of Allegheny County taxes.

It's no wonder. But who is doing anything at all to stop this sort of shit from happening? I'm sure the same thing is going on all over the country, but isn't reported because no one talks about it.

... An article in the local birdcage liner advises that 95% of the employees of the Allegheny County (PA - Pittsburgh) Jail are signed up for, and annually take full advantage of, the FMLA. ...

I couldn't find any article anywhere validating your claim. Please give us a link.

Most Americans are generally aware of, yet pay little attention to, a Federal law that is commonly referred to as "FMLA," which stands for the Family Medical Leave Act. This innocuous-sounding law provides that any employee in a sizable organization (very small businesses are exempt) can take up to twelve (12) weeks of unpaid leave (either consecutively or at different times) in any calendar year, in order to recover or help a family member recover from a health problem, without fear of losing their job.

An article in the local birdcage liner advises that 95% of the employees of the Allegheny County (PA - Pittsburgh) Jail are signed up for, and annually take full advantage of, the FMLA. That is to say, these employees take twelve full weeks of FMLA leave, in addition to their annual allotment of "regular" sick leave, vacation, holidays, and other assorted paid time off.

It is logical to assume that timekeeping in the Allegheny County Jail must be a nightmare, what with all the time off, and the need to keep that fine institution fully staffed, 24 hours a day, to keep the detainees in check. One may also correctly assume that overtime runs rampant in this institution, as guards are constantly called in to sub for those who are on one sort of paid absence or another. And parenthetically, since retirement benefits are based on earnings during the last three years of employment and NOT their annual base salary, this situation will cause Allegheny County's taxpayers to spend muchly for the foreseeable future.

But I have saved the best for last. Although the law provides for UNPAID leave under FMLA, for purposes of FMLA, all of these people are considered SALARIED, and thus they do not have their pay docked for the twelve weeks of absence provided under the Federal law. This is twelve weeks of unquestioned vacation (the County is not permitted to question any of it once a doctor's note is initially provided for the FMLA), required by Congress, and paid for by the gullible and constantly-abused taxpayers of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.

And prepare yourself for a shock: The managers at the Jail are beginning to suspect that there may be some abuses of FMLA. Did I mention that 95% of the Jail's employees are signed up?

...beginning to suspect...

For those of you who believe that public sector employment is similar to private sector employment, I give you EXHIBIT A.

Any private sector employer who tolerated this situation would be OUT OF BUSINESS. Any private sector manager who allowed this grotesque abuse to go on would be SUMMARILY TERMINATED. Any private sector employee who took such blatant advantage without clear documentary evidence of a family member is serious need would be fired or his application just thrown into the garbage can, where it belongs.

Without going into a lot of detail, Allegheny County is noteworthy for its consistent and energetic stimulus of new business and residential development OUTSIDE THE COUNTY. In all four directions - North, South, East, and West - there have arisen over the past 40 years energetic hubs of new business activity and vibrant suburban communities within mere feet of the Allegheny County Line, which business (and residential development) is spurred by two contrary factors: (1) the nearness to the Pittsburgh population and business community, and (2) avoidance of Allegheny County taxes.

It's no wonder. But who is doing anything at all to stop this sort of shit from happening? I'm sure the same thing is going on all over the country, but isn't reported because no one talks about it.
Nice cut and paste job. Did you just learn how to cut and paste. So, good for you. And you have proven that you do not have to think to post. Nice for you.
And, you have proven, by providing no links, that you are both irrelevant and dishonest. What a surprise.

Corruption exists in every part of governemnt systems. Has little to do with the system itself

Truly amazing how liberals believe that employers should be punished due to circumstance that happen in an employee's private life. Of course when it's a public employer then the taxpayers have to be punished.

The reason I wrote about this situation is that it is such a blatant abuse of the law to, basically, screw the taxpayers. EVERY manager at the jail is aware that this is going on. They could not NOT be aware of it. And yet it has gone on year after year with nobody putting a stop to it.

This COULD NOT HAPPEN in a private sector company in a competitive environment. The company would simply go under. It is yet another illustration why collective bargaining in the public sector is utter folly. You cannot have collective bargaining where MANAGEMENT DOES NOT GIVE A FUCK, which is predominantly the case in the public sector, despite their protestations to the contrary.

One government entity at a time, the country is going bankrupt because the public sector - primarily through unions - has placed tens of thousands of cities, towns, counties, school districts, and even states in such a dire straits that they cannot possible continue to exist without a massive influx of additional money. And there is only one place where that money can come from: people and companies in the private sector.

Who is going to stop it?

Given the need for campaign workers every 2-4 years I find it strange that there are not more stories like this. But then given all of the aunts and cousins I have that have worked at the clerk of the court's office I am a bit cynical.

Given the need for campaign workers every 2-4 years I find it strange that there are not more stories like this. But then given all of the aunts and cousins I have that have worked at the clerk of the court's office I am a bit cynical.

You want a job for The Town Of Hempstead?
To whom are you related?
Have you joined a Republican Club?
Have you collected signatures?
Dead people signed? No problem.
High School dropout?
No problem?
How's 80K/year to start?
2011 Hempstead payrolls

Yep...Municipal autonomy at work.

And the local Democrats are no better.

What a joke.

FMLA is not unpaid vacation leave but leave for legitimate reasons and it's not all that simple. You don't just get to "walk off the job" and then charge the time up to FMLA. FMLA time has to be applied for. I'm not absolutely certain but I think employers can have a framework set up around which FMLA is given.

The place I worked before retirement required that when FMLA time was requested (applied for), the employee first had to use up all unused paid vacation time, then all unused paid sick leave time before FMLA time kicked in. If an employee had already used up all their vacation time, but had two weeks of sick leave available that two weeks had to be used up first. Look at it this way: with FMLA time, you may not get paid, but you still have your job. Without FMLA you're just shit out of luck because your employer needs to have a body in your chair doing your job.

Some other employer might be in a position to offer it's employees short-term or long-term disability coverage on top of paid vacation and sick leave time and that's going to kick in before FMLA time.

And there's a big difference all the way around between a salaried and hourly paid employee.

But I have saved the best for last. Although the law provides for UNPAID leave under FMLA, for purposes of FMLA, all of these people are considered SALARIED, and thus they do not have their pay docked for the twelve weeks of absence provided under the Federal law.

The above portion is not true, I work in Human Resources for a government entity.

First, FLMA runs concurrently with any other sick/vacation/personal time that the individual has coming.

Secondly, FMLA provides job protection from being terminated while out sick or for caring for a sick family member, it does not provide (even for salaried employees) that they must continue to receive their salary if they have exhausted all other forms of paid time off. Let's take an example which to illustrate. FMLA also doesn't require that FMLA leave be "unpaid" time off, FMLA does not require payment of income, but if the employee has other paid time off they are certainly eligible for it. An employee (EE) was schedule for major orthopedic surgery and was expected to be out for 10 weeks. This individual had - say - 4 weeks of sick/vacation on the books. During the entire 10 weeks the person would be out on Sick Leave. The first 4 weeks of this concurrent sick/FMLA leave is paid due to the sick leave balance, the 5th through 10th weeks would be unpaid. The important point is the FMLA runs concurrently - no consecutively - with other time off, it's not about pay, it's about protecting the ability to return to work and not get fired if you or a family member are sick.

As to the secondly above your own link confirms this, FMLA is unpaid, they and pretty much every other employer allows the use of concurrent sick time to retain pay that the employee has already earned. The wording is pretty shoddy, because FMLA is unpaid, the concurrent sick days need not be.

"And even though medical leave is supposed to be unpaid, employees often still get their salary. That's because Allegheny County allows workers to use their vacation days and sick time while on FMLA.

Read more: Allegheny County jail guards are most likely to file for federal sick leave - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

>>>>

Last edited:

The above is also not true, given what was said in the article you linked to...

Of the 425 Allegheny County employees who have filed for sick leave, 75 percent have asked for intermittent leave, records show. At the jail, that figure jumps to 90 percent, or 139 out of the 159 workers on leave.

Read more: Allegheny County jail guards are most likely to file for federal sick leave - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The jail figure is not "95%" of employees, the jail figure is "90%" of employees that have filed for sick leave. The difference is that not all employees take sick time during the year. Again from your own article, when looked at in terms of the full jail employee population, that "95%" drops to 24%.

Still high and a reason to be looked at sure, but not near what you claimed.

>>>>

Forum List

Back