Public Shame - Yeah or Nay?

An 18-year-old Virginia man who was caught shoplifting at a costume store has accepted a rather unusual punishment.

Andrew Perry, the owner of the Halloween Express costume store in Charlottesville, told the light-fingered teenager that he would not call the police - if instead the youth stood in front of the store with a sign saying he was caught shoplifting.

In a bizarre twist, Mr Perry also told the boy that he would have to dress as Sesame Street character Bert, as in Bert and Ernie.

Read more: Shoplifter in Halloween Express forced to hold sign out the front saying he got caught (while in costume, of course) | Mail Online
article-0-0B9ED8BD000005DC-983_468x345.jpg

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

What he hasn't told the kid yet is that at the end of his agreed upon time to hold the sign in front of his store he is going to shoot him.:lol:

An 18-year-old Virginia man who was caught shoplifting at a costume store has accepted a rather unusual punishment.

Andrew Perry, the owner of the Halloween Express costume store in Charlottesville, told the light-fingered teenager that he would not call the police - if instead the youth stood in front of the store with a sign saying he was caught shoplifting.

In a bizarre twist, Mr Perry also told the boy that he would have to dress as Sesame Street character Bert, as in Bert and Ernie.

Read more: Shoplifter in Halloween Express forced to hold sign out the front saying he got caught (while in costume, of course) | Mail Online

Mod-bert ....:eusa_eh:

I KNEW I need to expand that security questionnaire to become a mod ....:lol:

Mod-bert ....:eusa_eh:

I KNEW I need to expand that security questionnaire to become a mod ....:lol:

Looks like you need to take away his keys Gunny, and give him a curfew.

He agreed to it, why not?

Judge orders thief to walk streets wearing confession sign for SIX years - Odds & Tidbits - People Forum

Judge orders thief to walk streets wearing confession sign for SIX years
A man who stole money from victims of crime has been ordered to stand on a busy city street with a sign saying he is a thief - every weekend for the next six years.

Daniel Mireles has been walking back and forth on Westheimer in Houston - in front of the Galleria shopping centre with a sign saying he is a thief.

In large capital letters, his sign reads: 'I am a thief. I stole $250,000 from the Harris County crime victim's fund. Daniel Mireles

he also has to have a sign on his house :thup:

Meh, If I was the thief I'd use it as bragging rights.

Just put under the sign.

"Beat that, motherfuckers"
or
"Let's see you top that"

Still I reckon this borders on cruel and unusual punishment.

I'm with those who said he should not have been allowed to wear the Bert costume. If you ask me, letting him wear it, means no one will recognize him. So what, he is wearing a costume? He won't feel the sting of having people recognize him when they walk by.

Immie

The way to beat public shaming is to realize their intentions, treat your crime as a sick joke and then take glee in people's reactions to it.

For example:

cholerae.jpg

They are on the right track. I dont think they have the right idea of shame however.

Showing his face along with this costume would have been better

baby.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back