Ptsd

Pete7469

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2013
The Real World
I'm going to share an unpopular opinion. I'm SICK OF PTSD. I've served in theater, pulled triggers, watched incoming shit and have had bullets nearly take me out. Unless you've done that or you've picked a soldier's guts up off the ground and helped carry them to a MEDEVAC, you certainly deserve all the respect and benefits the empire can provide. If you're some bed wetter who heard a loud noise in the middle of the night and woke up terrified there were incoming mortars you deserve nothing.

There are too many people getting shit they don't deserve and they're taking resources away from people who've seen and felt REAL trauma. How did all those WW2 vets come back and lead prosperous lives after YEARS of combat and NO LEAVE? Last I looked there were no Burger Kings on the Western Front. Americans please stop being such pussies, or we're going to fall like Rome.

PTSD is as much bullshit as MMGW.

I'm going to share an unpopular opinion. I'm SICK OF PTSD. I've served in theater, pulled triggers, watched incoming shit and have had bullets nearly take me out. Unless you've done that or you've picked a soldier's guts up off the ground and helped carry them to a MEDEVAC, you certainly deserve all the respect and benefits the empire can provide. If you're some bed wetter who heard a loud noise in the middle of the night and woke up terrified there were incoming mortars you deserve nothing.

There are too many people getting shit they don't deserve and they're taking resources away from people who've seen and felt REAL trauma. How did all those WW2 vets come back and lead prosperous lives after YEARS of combat and NO LEAVE? Last I looked there were no Burger Kings on the Western Front. Americans please stop being such pussies, or we're going to fall like Rome.

Well to be fair, there were MANY WWII vets that came back with lives and minds shattered by their experiences.

My Grandfather flew B-24's out of Italy, and while he never directly saw the people he dropped bombs on the War was probably the reason he became an Alcoholic which subsequently destroyed his marriage.

A good book that touches on this subject is Gen. Smedley Butlers "War is a Racket":
Yes, the soldier pays the greater part of the bill. His family pays too. They pay it in the same heart-break that he does. As he suffers, they suffer. At nights, as he lay in the trenches and watched shrapnel burst about him, they lay home in their beds and tossed sleeplessly -- his father, his mother, his wife, his sisters, his brothers, his sons, and his daughters. When he returned home minus an eye, or minus a leg or with his mind broken, they suffered too -- as much as and even sometimes more than he.

Yes, and they, too, contributed their dollars to the profits of the munitions makers and bankers and shipbuilders and the manufacturers and the speculators made. They, too, bought Liberty Bonds and contributed to the profit of the bankers after the Armistice in the hocus-pocus of manipulated Liberty Bond prices.

And even now the families of the wounded men and of the mentally broken and those who never were able to readjust themselves are still suffering and still paying.

Well, the complaint that perhaps too many people are faking STSD might have merit.

But speaking with the authority of somebody who had to clinically deal with guys coming back from Viet Nam suffering from "shell shock" (it wasn't called PTSD then), I can attest to the fact that PTSD is a REAL condition.

And contrary to your theory that one had to be on a battlefield to get it?

ANY trauma, especially one where you were exposed to it for a long period of time, can give some of us PTSD.

People who are in nearly any shithole prison USUALLY have it.

People who suffered with years of domestic abuse often have it, too.

PTSD is about having been traumatized, usually over a long period of time.

LOL. I had a chuckle with this because I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. It is sad.

PTSD is REAL and it is caused by some really intensive shit. My neighbor was attacked and took explosives to HIS Humvee (not just the convoy but the one that he was actually in) 14 times over the 4 years that he was in the service. Took enough damage to his body that they had to med board him in the end. Then, some pansy ass goes to the Deid (and if you have been in the army recently and on a year tour you know what the Deid is) for four whopping months as a mechanic, never sees even a HINT of combat, does not have a weapon, never takes his armor out of its bag and never even hears an explosion but STILL claims PTSD. It is disgusting that he gets away with it also. It cheapens those that really have seen real shit, disgraces their sacrifice and wastes valuable resources that need to be going to those that have real problems. IMHO, they should just look at him and give him his walking papers. You don’t belong in the military if you can’t handle the recreation location.

Diagnosing PTSD in the VA under Obama has now come to simply asking the question "Do you have PTSD?" If you answer yes, you get disability for the rest of your life with periodic reviews and they're looking to put you on a no gun list as well. Indeed, this does three things. 1. Encourages highly a conservative military to become dependent, 2. Ensures job security for unionized VA workers, 3. Holds implications for future gun seizures.

When I got out of the Marines they took us all before a VA representative in a room and had us fill out a claim. I refused to do so, but, I was one of about 3 or 4 out of over 70 people. The VA representative bragged about how he got a Marine working in admin 80% disability for injuries that in no way inhibited her ability to work. They encourage you to put down scars, graying hair, heart burn, and even callused feet and hands. One of those will get you into the system under 0% and a multiple of those will get you a percentage of disability paid tax free for the rest of your life. The loosening of PTSD diagnoses and the fact that 95% of everyone who gets out of the military files a claim is the reason the VA is so backlogged. That and it is a lucrative way to get free money for the rest of your life. All while real injuries get in the back of the line.

0:25 "Hands on application completion" = encouraging you to file for disability. As I said, you will be given a VA application for disability and they fall very short of scorning you for not filling one out. Almost everyone applies every time and every military member goes through this when they get out. There is no fraud because there is no oversight. Even if you claim to have a bad back, get 80-100% disability, and someone sends a video to the VA of you doing dead lifts in a gym, they will shrug their shoulders and press on. Once you’re in, you’re in for life. The VA is one giant unregulated government racket and it will contunue to be so. Why? Because what politician wants to check veterans for fraud? It would be a political career ender.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was an Army medic in Vietnam and was also involved with the Cambodia Incursion for which my Bn. was awarded a Valorous Unit Citation. I was awarded a combat medical badge. I have been dealing with PTSD for over 40 years and know very well that it is a very nasty disorder. On top of that Agent Orange is a ticking time bomb that continues to kill some of us every year. Symptoms of either were dismissed as the whining of a sissy or just our imagination. There were and are many suicides. It was 30 years before I was able to get any help. And it really did help in some ways but in many other ways it was simply too little too late.
Are some folks able to con the VA out of compensation they don't deserve? Absolutely.
Do I care? No. Not really. A great many of us went decades without help that had been earned and was badly needed. I have seen no reason not to be highly resentful of the general population for the way they have treated us. And if a few are able to scam the system it just seems like justifiable payback to me. What goes around comes around.

Diagnosing PTSD in the VA under Obama has now come to simply asking the question "Do you have PTSD?" If you answer yes, you get disability for the rest of your life with periodic reviews and they're looking to put you on a no gun list as well.

THAT is unrefined, unadulterated, complete and total bullshit.

Diagnosing PTSD in the VA under Obama has now come to simply asking the question "Do you have PTSD?" If you answer yes, you get disability for the rest of your life with periodic reviews and they're looking to put you on a no gun list as well.

Perhaps a slight exaggeration skipping a few steps but that’s about the gist of it. Why would I have a reason to lie to you? Indeed, this is no secret in military circles.

Last edited:

Perhaps a slight exaggeration skipping a few steps but that’s about the gist of it. Why would I have a reason to lie to you?

I don't know, but if you think it's that easy, I dare you to go down to the VA and file for it yourself. Get back to us when you "get your money."

Perhaps a slight exaggeration skipping a few steps but that’s about the gist of it. Why would I have a reason to lie to you?

I don't know, but if you think it's that easy, I dare you to go down to the VA and file for it yourself. Get back to us when you "get your money."

Why? Having served in active duty infantry for almost every hour of the past decade I know hundreds on such disability. PTSD is just a way to take a back injury or a lame knee up about 40% or so. Indeed, I know many veterans, veterans advocates, and have seen VA employees tell people to file for it whether they have it or not because, lets face it, "no one knows what’s going on in your head but you". Indeed, they even coach you on how to portray your symptoms. Have nightmares? Fidgetiness? Sit with your back to the corner? Have guilt? Anxiety? Short temper? Do you snap at family members? Depression? Loss of interest? Feeling detached? Yeah, I know the bull shit and I refuse to play the game or engage in fraud as your are suggesting. Most PTSD claims are bogus. Yeah, I could think about the past and shed a few tears in reflection if I wanted to. But I did not serve for others to serve me. How bout you?

I scored a 17. Look everyone I have PTSD!!!! PTSD Test - HealthyPlace . Freakin whatever. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I was an Army medic in Vietnam and was also involved with the Cambodia Incursion for which my Bn. was awarded a Valorous Unit Citation. I was awarded a combat medical badge. I have been dealing with PTSD for over 40 years and know very well that it is a very nasty disorder. On top of that Agent Orange is a ticking time bomb that continues to kill some of us every year. Symptoms of either were dismissed as the whining of a sissy or just our imagination. There were and are many suicides. It was 30 years before I was able to get any help. And it really did help in some ways but in many other ways it was simply too little too late.
Are some folks able to con the VA out of compensation they don't deserve? Absolutely.
Do I care? No. Not really. A great many of us went decades without help that had been earned and was badly needed. I have seen no reason not to be highly resentful of the general population for the way they have treated us. And if a few are able to scam the system it just seems like justifiable payback to me. What goes around comes around.

This mentality is justified under the most Machiavellian means but falls short of ethical. Some scam the system? Veterans advocates and VA reps give you instructions on how to scam the system when you take TAPS.

Holy shit.

When you are so cynical....that you refuse to believe anyone.....refuse to believe trained medical professionals regarding their diagnosis.....you might need a fucking break.

Cynical, jealous fuckers.

Diagnosing PTSD in the VA under Obama has now come to simply asking the question "Do you have PTSD?" If you answer yes, you get disability for the rest of your life with periodic reviews and they're looking to put you on a no gun list as well. Indeed, this does three things. 1. Encourages highly a conservative military to become dependent, 2. Ensures job security for unionized VA workers, 3. Holds implications for future gun seizures.

When I got out of the Marines they took us all before a VA representative in a room and had us fill out a claim. I refused to do so, but, I was one of about 3 or 4 out of over 70 people. The VA representative bragged about how he got a Marine working in admin 80% disability for injuries that in no way inhibited her ability to work. They encourage you to put down scars, graying hair, heart burn, and even callused feet and hands. One of those will get you into the system under 0% and a multiple of those will get you a percentage of disability paid tax free for the rest of your life. The loosening of PTSD diagnoses and the fact that 95% of everyone who gets out of the military files a claim is the reason the VA is so backlogged. That and it is a lucrative way to get free money for the rest of your life. All while real injuries get in the back of the line.

0:25 "Hands on application completion" = encouraging you to file for disability. As I said, you will be given a VA application for disability and they fall very short of scorning you for not filling one out. Almost everyone applies every time and every military member goes through this when they get out. There is no fraud because there is no oversight. Even if you claim to have a bad back, get 80-100% disability, and someone sends a video to the VA of you doing dead lifts in a gym, they will shrug their shoulders and press on. Once you’re in, you’re in for life. The VA is one giant unregulated government racket and it will contunue to be so. Why? Because what politician wants to check veterans for fraud? It would be a political career ender.

My experience was close to that. Even before we left country in 2005 we had to fill out "pre-demobilization surveys" that asked about ever ailment imaginable. I had psoriasis and didn't even know what it was, but I didn't care. I didn't want it to hold me up from getting home. I still haven't bothered going for a claim because I can deal with it, and even if I wanted something, the hassle of applying is more of a pain in the ass than it's worth.

When we finally hit demob we went through all the screenings and the doctors who did the final interviews seemed like they wanted people to claim something. Again, I just wanted to go the fuck home. Claiming shit would have delayed it #1, and #2 I was fully aware that it could inhibit me from employment later on.

Sure enough when Operation Jump Start kicked in and paid REALLY GOOD MONEY, like 70K for some guys, the guys who had little pissant claims were rejected in favor of the guys (and gals of course) who did their time and didn't try and game the system.

Now the system is a game, and there seems to be no penalty for cheating.

These assholes are in for a rude awakening though, because the empire is going to go bankrupt. Once it does they're going to be some of the first people cut off the tit. They'll have no sympathy from me.

Holy shit.

When you are so cynical....that you refuse to believe anyone.....refuse to believe trained medical professionals regarding their diagnosis.....you might need a fucking break.

Cynical, jealous fuckers.

Because the fraud in the VA is rampant, unregulated, and un-redressable. No one says it out loud, but among military circles it is a regular conversation. Indeed, among some military circles it is even encouraged and laughed at.

I spent some time in the sand box, not on the front lines but I did see some crazy shit. Im a civi first off and apparently the USMC had a shortage of radar engineers to train its enlisted members in radar theory.

OP makes some decent points. I always found myself asking maybe SOME (and I stress the word some) of these kids we throw into harms way should have a clear idea of exactly what they are defending. Ya, ya, ya, we all know, its for Americans freedom, BS to the highest degree. And a lot of the young men I trained knew they were in a theater of war for reasons beyond the tag line of freedom. Despicable reasons. Like war profiteering and all of the lies involved leading to the invasion of Iraq.

Lets just apply common sense here. If you ended up in a shit country like Iraq getting shot at and seeing friends lose body parts for reasons that are at best suspect. I think its safe to assume your mind will not deal well with any sort of trauma going forward from that point, putting it lightly.

My experience was close to that. Even before we left country in 2005 we had to fill out "pre-demobilization surveys" that asked about ever ailment imaginable. I had psoriasis and didn't even know what it was, but I didn't care. I didn't want it to hold me up from getting home. I still haven't bothered going for a claim because I can deal with it, and even if I wanted something, the hassle of applying is more of a pain in the ass than it's worth.

When we finally hit demob we went through all the screenings and the doctors who did the final interviews seemed like they wanted people to claim something. Again, I just wanted to go the fuck home. Claiming shit would have delayed it #1, and #2 I was fully aware that it could inhibit me from employment later on.

Sure enough when Operation Jump Start kicked in and paid REALLY GOOD MONEY, like 70K for some guys, the guys who had little pissant claims were rejected in favor of the guys (and gals of course) who did their time and didn't try and game the system.

Now the system is a game, and there seems to be no penalty for cheating.

These assholes are in for a rude awakening though, because the empire is going to go bankrupt. Once it does they're going to be some of the first people cut off the tit. They'll have no sympathy from me.

If you have a problem get it taken care of. However, you and I both know that many to most PTSD claims are bogus. I'm glad you posted. Most people here don't know the culture of the VA as it stands for current veterans and the massive amount of fraud that is taking place. Indeed, the VA reps and VA doctors encourage you to almost the point of begging to file a claim. They are sales men and women for federal funding and union labor. The only thing missing is a plaid sales jacket. Besides, they have the most crappy doctors and cheap generic medications, showing us why government healthcare is a scam. Indeed, if you need to see a doctor at the VA for a serious problem and have the opportunity to have it contracted out of the VA system, DO IT!

I spent some time in the sand box, not on the front lines but I did see some crazy shit. Im a civi first off and apparently the USMC had a shortage of radar engineers to train its enlisted members in radar theory.

OP makes some decent points. I always found myself asking maybe SOME (and I stress the word some) of these kids we throw into harms way should have a clear idea of exactly what they are defending. Ya, ya, ya, we all know, its for Americans freedom, BS to the highest degree. And a lot of the young men I trained knew they were in a theater of war for reasons beyond the tag line of freedom. Despicable reasons. Like war profiteering and all of the lies involved leading to the invasion of Iraq.

Lets just apply common sense here. If you ended up in a shit country like Iraq getting shot at and seeing friends lose body parts for reasons that are at best suspect. I think its safe to assume your mind will not deal well with any sort of trauma going forward from that point, putting it lightly.

I served in the Marine Corps Infantry. They do an excellent job getting servicemen prepaired for the horrors of combat. Morbid humor doesn't hurt either. Nevertheless, I am not stressing "some." I'm stressing "many." No one who has been to combat could possibly take the following test and not score in the PTSD category http://www.healthyplace.com/psychological-tests/ptsd-test/ I scored a 17. I am certainly not going to the VA.

Last edited:
Well, the complaint that perhaps too many people are faking STSD might have merit.

But speaking with the authority of somebody who had to clinically deal with guys coming back from Viet Nam suffering from "shell shock" (it wasn't called PTSD then), I can attest to the fact that PTSD is a REAL condition.

ANY trauma, especially one where you were exposed to it for a long period of time, can give some of us PTSD.

I can sympathize with troops that faced near death experiences.

Some people are just tougher than others I suppose, but some people just need to be slapped across the face, put in a diaper, given a teddy bear and told to shut the fuck up and be a man.

Vietnam was the begin of US pussification. Sure enough many WW2 and Korean War vets got fucked up in the head, and they never got the treatment they deserved. Likewise with many 'Nam vets. I can't pass by one on the side of a bridge without giving them a buck. I feel for those guys, not only did they go through some horrific shit, but they had to get spit on by bed wetting hippie oxygen thieves when they got home.

Yet almost all of the WW2/Korea vets went on to lead prosperous lives. There was no "safety net" for them to fall into, so they just went on with their lives. The 'Nam vets were different. They seemed at least a little less able to deal with what their fathers/elders went through. So much so that we're now looking at a military that's coddled and encouraged to cry about shit. We can't even make fun of fudge packers anymore.

It's as if there's a concerted effort to weaken us, and it pisses me off.

I can sympathize with troops that faced near death experiences.

Some people are just tougher than others I suppose, but some people just need to be slapped across the face, put in a diaper, given a teddy bear and told to shut the fuck up and be a man.

Vietnam was the begin of US pussification. Sure enough many WW2 and Korean War vets got fucked up in the head, and they never got the treatment they deserved. Likewise with many 'Nam vets. I can't pass by one on the side of a bridge without giving them a buck. I feel for those guys, not only did they go through some horrific shit, but they had to get spit on by bed wetting hippie oxygen thieves when they got home.

Yet almost all of the WW2/Korea vets went on to lead prosperous lives. There was no "safety net" for them to fall into, so they just went on with their lives. The 'Nam vets were different. They seemed at least a little less able to deal with what their fathers/elders went through. So much so that we're now looking at a military that's coddled and encouraged to cry about shit. We can't even make fun of fudge packers anymore.

It's as if there's a concerted effort to weaken us, and it pisses me off.

Military combat arms culture is inconsistent with liberal cry baby culture. That’s why I'm glad they got rid of the draft. There is a reason why 70% of the military votes republican. There is also a reason why over 90% of those in combat arms votes republican. This percentage falls dramatically when you go to the admin office with all the troops who signed up for the benefits.

Forum List

Back