Big changes for flag officers

Oldguy

Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Generals and Admirals will now be periodically evaluated not only by their superiors, but by their peers and subordinates as well. And, it will include their character, as well as their military proficiency. The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs calls it a "360 degree" review.

On the one hand, I think it's a grand idea. All of us have served under general officers who were likable ass-kissers who smooched their way to the top but couldn't lead a squad effectively. Conversely, we've also served under military geniuses who were pricks. Since flag officers are in positions to affect so many people and so many things, I think such a review of the total soldier is long overdue.

On the other hand, I can also see problems at headquarters which might affect the job performance of the whole staff if the General thinks he has to pander to his subordinates to get a good review. The power dynamics within the staff might shift from the designated leader to the junior officer most capable of manipulating the General. Of course, office politics has always been a problem at staff level, but this new review procedure might make it worse.

In any case, I think it's an idea worth trying.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/14/u....html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130414

Been using 360 for twenty years.

It's a great adjunct to LEAN ops. It does NOT reward incompetent-but-friendly executives because 1) for every favorite, two others get pissed off; and 2) the strongest component is typically the peer rating element.

Long overdue in the flag ranks where politicians like Westmoreland, Powell, McChrystal and Petraeus prosper while natural genius like Clark get pushed out and competence like Schwartzkopf's rarely gets to the top.

It's a great adjunct to LEAN ops. It does NOT reward incompetent-but-friendly executives because 1) for every favorite, two others get pissed off; and 2) the strongest component is typically the peer rating element.

Long overdue in the flag ranks where politicians like Westmoreland, Powell, McChrystal and Petraeus prosper while natural genius like Clark get pushed out and competence like Schwartzkopf's rarely gets to the top.

If it results in the coat-tailer's and ass-kisser's losing general officer slots to the real soldiers, it'll be worth every nickel.

Frankly, I haven't been very impressed with the senior leadership of the armed forces in many years. Maybe this will help fix that.

As the norm for "character" evolves the admirals and generals must evolve also. In other words learn to tolerate sissies and be a little more aware of the feelings of others or get a bad review. Marine generals better watch out.

Clarke? You mean the genius that tried to start WW3 in the Former Yugoslavia? Figures you would think he was great.

Forum List

Back