Proud Father

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
"In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan That Shinning City on the Hill.

Yesterday, after having voted in many elections past, I had the high privledge of watching my daughter vote for the very first time. Her support for Barack Obama was a validation to the ability of our new President-elect to inspire young people to do do something greater than themselves. When she alked out of the polling place she looked at me with solemn eye's and told me " you know I really had no idea till today how much my vote mattered". All I could manage was a big smile on my face as a proud dad reached out to hug his daughter. While I disagreed with her choice, IMHO her deep beliefs in our new President-Elect was unwaivering and was inspirational to see.

Last evening when watching the election, I turned and watched her as they announced her choice for President. She looked back at me and was smiling and holding her hands to her cheeks with tears of joy in her eye's. It was a moment on a personal level I will never forget, to see my daughters loves in lifes so very different than my own validated for her. In several respects last evening while Barack Obama whom I personally did not support won this election. In many way's and through the eyes of a proud father, even through loss, I win!! So thank you Mr. President-Elect from a proud dad and Godspeed to you.

good post, navy.

my son voted for the first time yesterday. i, too, was very proud of him.

i think he even stopped eating long enough to look at the election results ;)

"In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan That Shinning City on the Hill.

Yesterday, after having voted in many elections past, I had the high privledge of watching my daughter vote for the very first time. Her support for Barack Obama was a validation to the ability of our new President-elect to inspire young people to do do something greater than themselves. When she alked out of the polling place she looked at me with solemn eye's and told me " you know I really had no idea till today how much my vote mattered". All I could manage was a big smile on my face as a proud dad reached out to hug his daughter. While I disagreed with her choice, IMHO her deep beliefs in our new President-Elect was unwaivering and was inspirational to see.

Last evening when watching the election, I turned and watched her as they announced her choice for President. She looked back at me and was smiling and holding her hands to her cheeks with tears of joy in her eye's. It was a moment on a personal level I will never forget, to see my daughters loves in lifes so very different than my own validated for her. In several respects last evening while Barack Obama whom I personally did not support won this election. In many way's and through the eyes of a proud father, even through loss, I win!! So thank you Mr. President-Elect from a proud dad and Godspeed to you.

I think I love you. :eek:

:lol:

Seriously, congratualations proud dad.

As I read this I could almost see the look in your eyes as you watched your daughter. Although we've never met, I've had that same look.

Morning in America .. smells good.

I am sitting here typing this with tears in my eyes Navy, really I am!

Will you marry me LOL?

I had tears when I voted, tears when the election was called, and this morning tears when talking about our new president with my friends and co-workers. They also have tears of happiness in their eyes.

My 13 yo was so excitied about this entire process too, I let her stay up late to watch all the excitement! Today she said,

"Mom, I just love saying President Obama!" :D

Do you know, the most interesting thing about all this yesterday, was when I rode with all those kids supporting Barack Obama, after what had happned to the first time I went to vote, all of them knowing that I was not voting for Barack Obama made an effort to make sure I got to the polling place with no problems. Now while yesterday on the news, you saw problems there and there, what sometimes people fail to see, are the millions of little stories of people standing in line, laughing, joking , sharing life stories all there to lend their voices to our nation. That to me is the real story... and honestly, I was happy I just didn't end up being sentenced with a trip to the mall. lol

Forum List

Back