Protesters are gathering outside of Jeff Bezos' penthouse to call attention to working conditions

My GF makes over 18 bucks an hour working the floor at Lowes

My step son works at Lowes. In the commercial section. Deals with the contractors. Not a simple floor job. He does not make $18 an hour. Now I am sure Lowes in New York likely pay more than in Southern Ohio but that still does not address my point.

There were people working in Lowes 30 years ago. They were also working in manufacturing jobs that paid well and are no longer here.
And they moved to china to avoid paying 25 dollars an hour and pension to a person to turn a bolt.

My step son works at Lowes. In the commercial section. Deals with the contractors. Not a simple floor job. He does not make $18 an hour. Now I am sure Lowes in New York likely pay more than in Southern Ohio but that still does not address my point.

There were people working in Lowes 30 years ago. They were also working in manufacturing jobs that paid well and are no longer here.
And they moved to china to avoid paying 25 dollars an hour and pension to a person to turn a bolt.

Argue that. Do not argue that they didn't leave. Hence the issue and my position.

Argue that. Do not argue that they didn't leave. Hence the issue and my position.
So we should force companies to do what drove others to leave in the first place.
Roundabout.
There are still high paying jobs. Even for people with no skills. They just have to earn it.
I once had to work 2 jobs to make ends meet before I started making what I do today.
It sucked but no one got forced to go against what they wanted to do with their own property.

So we should force companies to do what drove others to leave in the first place.
Roundabout.
There are still high paying jobs. Even for people with no skills. They just have to earn it.
I once had to work 2 jobs to make ends meet before I started making what I do today.
It sucked but no one got forced to go against what they wanted to do with their own property.

Forced? No. Amazon can reject the government contracts if they wish. They can take on some other side private work to make money if what they are making is not enough.

This girl I know went to tech school for 9 months and she now makes 24 dollars an hour.
She doesnt try to sustain herself working a shitty job at McDonalds and demanding they pay her higher wages for dropping fries in a deep fryer.

Roundabout.

Forced? No. Amazon can reject the government contracts if they wish. They can take on some other side private work to make money if what they are making is not enough.
So you dont support a minimum wage?

They were also working in manufacturing jobs that paid well and are no longer here.
In your defense of this statement, sorta, I remember well bush jr saying on TV, we are moving from a mfg based economy to service based economy- that said, we have always (since time began) had different "base" economies- we (humans) adapted or we died, or, in the day of the internet, complain publicly- my question is: what have democrats done to reverse that direction?

FYI- to everyone here, we live in a global based economy. There are many reasons that's important, but, the underlying factor of importance is; the US economy has raised the world standard of living-
Not that I personally approve, but I am old and not very smart- I can see though that the corruption has led to at least some good and that neither Democrats or Republicans have done a damn thing to change the direction.

Roundabout.

So you dont support a minimum wage?

I support a higher minimum wage. It doesn't meet my threshhold for a government contract.

They were also working in manufacturing jobs that paid well and are no longer here.
In your defense of this statement, sorta, I remember well bush jr saying on TV, we are moving from a mfg based economy to service based economy- that said, we have always (since time began) had different "base" economies- we (humans) adapted or we died, or, in the day of the internet, complain publicly- my question is: what have democrats done to reverse that direction?

I'm not here to argue in defense of Democrats. They had the chance to change things but completely blew it with Obama.

FYI- to everyone here, we live in a global based economy. There are many reasons that's important, but, the underlying factor of importance is; the US economy has raised the world standard of living-
Not that I personally approve, but I am old and not very smart- I can see though that the corruption has led to at least some good and that neither Democrats or Republicans have done a damn thing to change the direction.

Likely in the end I am agreeing with you but I believe both parties are leading us in the wrong direction.

Likely in the end I am agreeing with you but I believe both parties are leading us in the wrong direction.
Exactly! It can be blamed on BOTH sides- we can start with Lincoln and fast forward to Wilson- as they say, easy peasy.

Forum List

Back