Proposed bill would require background check for sale of ammunition in Pennsylvania

night_son

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2018
The Full Moon
The article:

Proposed bill would require background check for sale of ammunition in Pennsylvania

From the article:

"HARRISBURG, Pa. — A state lawmaker has re-introduced legislation to require background checks on gun ammunition sales. Pennsylvania currently does not have any regulating law for the sale, purchase or possession of ammunition.
The bill would only allow licensed firearm dealers to sell ammunition and would allow businesses to use existing licenses to sell both firearms and ammunition. Right now, Pennsylvanians who are prohibited from buying a gun can still purchase ammunition. "

OP Commentary:

Proponents of such legislation want us to believe measures such as these are put into effect to protect us from already convicted criminals. But a growing segment of the general populace, myself included, believe such proposed and on the books laws are intended to limit law abiding citizens' ability to readily defend themselves and easily provide food in the form of game for their families.

If a criminal has never been caught—let alone convicted, bills such as this one prevent no gun crime. Further, who gets to set the standard for "qualifications" to own firearms and purchase ammunition? Who can we trust with such an important determination? Could such standards be politicized by one political party to prevent members of the opposition from easily acquiring the means to defend themselves? Considering the stark polarization between the competing political ideologies of our day, that seems like a given.

There is no more fundamental and important right in a free society than the unregulated ability to defend one's self and one's family from danger in any form. Bills such as this one represent obvious efforts to punish citizens possessed of the "wrong" political beliefs.

Let's hope this one is dead on arrival.

The article:

From the article:

"HARRISBURG, Pa. — A state lawmaker has re-introduced legislation to require background checks on gun ammunition sales. Pennsylvania currently does not have any regulating law for the sale, purchase or possession of ammunition.
The bill would only allow licensed firearm dealers to sell ammunition and would allow businesses to use existing licenses to sell both firearms and ammunition. Right now, Pennsylvanians who are prohibited from buying a gun can still purchase ammunition. "

OP Commentary:

Proponents of such legislation want us to believe measures such as these are put into effect to protect us from already convicted criminals. But a growing segment of the general populace, myself included, believe such proposed and on the books laws are intended to limit law abiding citizens' ability to readily defend themselves and easily provide food in the form of game for their families.

If a criminal has never been caught—let alone convicted, bills such as this one prevent no gun crime. Further, who gets to set the standard for "qualifications" to own firearms and purchase ammunition? Who can we trust with such an important determination? Could such standards be politicized by one political party to prevent members of the opposition from easily acquiring the means to defend themselves? Considering the stark polarization between the competing political ideologies of our day, that seems like a given.

There is no more fundamental and important right in a free society than the unregulated ability to defend one's self and one's family from danger in any form. Bills such as this one represent obvious efforts to punish citizens possessed of the "wrong" political beliefs.

I'd be surprised if it flies.

On opening day of antlered deer season PA fields the worlds third largest army.

You piss off lots of people with this Gheyness.

pennsylvania-topographic-map.jpg

The article:

From the article:

OP Commentary:

I'd be surprised if it flies.

On opening day of antlered deer season PA fields the worlds third largest army.

You piss off lots of people with this Gheyness.

View attachment 455908

Republicans control both legislative houses but for some reason that fact alone doesn't make me feel a whole lot better. I mean . . . if a person is a law-abiding citizen who's never been convicted of a crime or involved in domestic violence then the ability to purchase ammo even with a background check shouldn't be more than a minor inconvenience. That's what they want us to believe, of course. But whose to say they wouldn't soon place limits on ammo purchases, require psych evaluations and base determinations on political affiliations?

The article:

From the article:

OP Commentary:

The Peoples Republic of California has gotten away with this unconstitutional shit for over a year. SCOTUS has refused to hear challenges thus far.

The article:

From the article:

OP Commentary:

The Peoples Republic of California has gotten away with this unconstitutional shit for over a year. SCOTUS has refused to hear challenges thus far.

I feel sorry for all Californian gun owners for sure. When my wife and I were looking for a new home we considered several states based on their gun rights, or lack thereof, and stand your ground/castle doctrine laws. She found an upstate New York property she loved. It was an A-frame lodge on 35 remote acres beside a massive lake. I wouldn't even consider that place due to New York's insane gun control laws. I mean, NY has or is trying to ban hunks of plastic and metal, in an effort to stop the sale of 80% lower receivers. Madness.

The article:

From the article:

OP Commentary:

That is not what the sponsor of the bill said is the reason to reintroduce the bill.

They really should reduce how much ammunition someone can buy at one time too.
Maybe next they can restrict how many church services one is allowed to go to.
Or how many words you can say.
Or how many times you are to receive compensation for private land?
Or how many times a warrant is required before they just come in your house.

The article:

From the article:

OP Commentary:

At the onset of Covid, PA decided to outlaw alcohol sales. Citizens crossed state lines to purchase alcohol, and those that had a good ride to make stocked up too. It got so bad that our Governor told merchants near the border they had to check all ID"s, even if the person buying alcohol was 60 years old. They didn't care about sales to minors, they cared that people from PA would be able to buy so much leaving little for us to buy.

I see the same results taking place if something like this would pass. Ammo is in short supply as it is. We don't need people from another state buying what we have. It's not just people with records that would come here, but anybody who objects to Big Brother monitoring their personal affairs.

The article:

From the article:

OP Commentary:

At the onset of Covid, PA decided to outlaw alcohol sales. Citizens crossed state lines to purchase alcohol, and those that had a good ride to make stocked up too. It got so bad that our Governor told merchants near the border they had to check all ID"s, even if the person buying alcohol was 60 years old. They didn't care about sales to minors, they cared that people from PA would be able to buy so much leaving little for us to buy.

I see the same results taking place if something like this would pass. Ammo is in short supply as it is. We don't need people from another state buying what we have. It's not just people with records that would come here, but anybody who objects to Big Brother monitoring their personal affairs.

Thanks. I'm a PA native currently living in Maryland but many of my family members still live up there. As it stands, in Maryland at least (speaking to PA bordering states), one cannot purchase magazines here with a capacity greater than ten rounds. So at least PA has been good for that, if you happen still have a PA driver's license with a PA address.

But I agree with you. Many of my family members drive twenty or more miles down into Maryland to fuel up their cars, what with the thirty plus cent difference in the price of a gallon of gas. I think most PA residents could get away with driving to other states to purchase ammo without the background check, save for NY and NJ. However, it's like anything else gun related. One might get away with it dozens of times but there's always a chance traffic stop or something similar that could happen and cause legal gun owners real problems.

Thanks. I'm a PA native currently living in Maryland but many of my family members still live up there. As it stands, in Maryland at least (speaking to PA bordering states), one cannot purchase magazines here with a capacity greater than ten rounds. So at least PA has been good for that, if you happen still have a PA driver's license with a PA address.

But I agree with you. Many of my family members drive twenty or more miles down into Maryland to fuel up their cars, what with the thirty plus cent difference in the price of a gallon of gas. I think most PA residents could get away with driving to other states to purchase ammo without the background check, save for NY and NJ. However, it's like anything else gun related. One might get away with it dozens of times but there's always a chance traffic stop or something similar that could happen and cause legal gun owners real problems.

If the US had a good supply of ammo, I'd have less of a problem with it. I don't go shooting very much, so I have a whole case of 9mm and not worried about it. Besides, if it draws business here, we'll be glad to take business PA doesn't want as long as we have plenty for our citizens too.

If the US had a good supply of ammo, I'd have less of a problem with it. I don't go shooting very much, so I have a whole case of 9mm and not worried about it. Besides, if it draws business here, we'll be glad to take business PA doesn't want as long as we have plenty for our citizens too.

Even some police and sheriff's departments are experiencing ammo shortages and delays in their annual shipments. Myself, I was on a regular shooting schedule—hitting my rod and gun club range about twice per week, until a month or two into COVID. I am well stocked and was receiving regular resupply orders but then both the shortages and increased ammo prices hit. So I have also drastically reduced my range time, in an effort to keep my "stockpile" maintained. I do still get to hit the county pistol range with a cop buddy of mine and the ammo is provided by his department, so that's cool.

Whenever I happen to be in a Dick's or whatever sporting goods or gun store and I see certain ammo available, I grab a few boxes. Frankly, I can't imagine having to fill out a damn form and sit and wait for background check every time I do that.

Whenever I happen to be in a Dick's or whatever sporting goods or gun store and I see certain ammo available, I grab a few boxes. Frankly, I can't imagine having to fill out a damn form and sit and wait for background check every time I do that.

A lot of people will feel that way which is why they would come here. I don't know where the nearest gun supply store is on our eastern border. I don't understand the mentality of some of these people. Like they think a criminal who has a gun won't commit a criminal act because they can't legally buy ammo? Even if they couldn't, a bank, a store clerk, a person on the street has no idea if a gun is loaded unless it's a revolver.

Forum List

Back