promises promises yeah right!!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Navy1960, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    "I can make a firm pledge," he said in Dover, N.H., on Sept. 12. "Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes

He repeatedly vowed "you will not see any of your taxes increase one single dime."
    PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

I frankly don't see this as a big surprise, given all the Obama spending and the yet to come spending he need to pay for this is yet another campaign promise that is just that a gimmick to get people to vote for him. Then today you hear that Senate Democrats are proposing a tax increase on. anyone over 100,000 dollars a year on their healthcare benefits.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    In NJ, filthy rich is now $75,000. So in addition to the feds redistributing the wealth, the states are raising taxes too in the interest of "spreading the wealth" (or shall I say spreading the misery).

3. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,123
    Talk is always on sale for cheap, cheap, cheap during an election year. Anyone who is surprised at the tax hikes that are coming is a fool.

4. DiveCon

DiveCon gone

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,387

wasnt that something they beat the shit outta McCain over?

5. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    chaenel, I have a feeling that this number will change to include anyone that lives anywhere and is sucking in oxygen and those that are not won't see a tax increase. Just wait for the energy bill and the cap and trade scheme comming to a neighborhood near you and see how much your taxes will go up to pay for that debacle. So again your not alone and I'm sure these every moving promises or shall I say lies Obama told made for great TV though.

6. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    yes Dive John McCain was put to task during the campaign by the Obama campaign because according to the Obama campaign the McCain campaigns plans would eventually lead to tax increases.

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,982
    Now now, you will have Jillian and her cohorts in here telling you you are an idiot, liar and dumb ass. Obama is not raising any taxes, it is all Congress doing it and against the wishes of Obama. Never mind that Congress is controlled completely by the DEMOCRATS.

How dare you question " The One". He is FORCED by Bush to do these things. Ohh did I forget? Campaign promises are never ever true, so Obama did not lie, he just said what he needed to to get elected.

There several excuses to Cover Obama.

8. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    And I'm the one who will not raise taxes. My opponent now says he'll raise them as a last resort, or a third resort. But when a politician talks like that, you know that's one resort he'll be checking into. My opponent, my opponent won't rule out raising taxes. But I will. And the Congress will push me to raise taxes and I'll say no. And they'll push, and I'll say no, and they'll push again, and I'll say, to them, ‘Read my lips: no new taxes.’ George H.W. Bush

Bush's eventual opponent Bill Clinton used the broken pledge to great effect late in the campaign. In October 1992 a television commercial, designed by campaign strategist James Carville, had Bush repeating the phrase to illustrate Bush's perfidious nature. It was regarded as one of the most effective of all of Clinton's campaign ads. The tax reversal played a central role in reducing the public's opinion of Bush's character. Despite the variety of scandals that affected Clinton during the election, polls showed the public viewed Clinton and Bush as similar in integrity.[17] Clinton's most effective ad, the "How're you doin" spot, also included a clip of the broken pledge

I see the point though, the media attention this president gets won't cover the number of campiagn pledges he has broken already so I suppose paying more to keep the celebrity in office is our civic duty.

9. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Sigh...another day another PROPOSAL. There...is...still...no...bill.

10. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,099
    if there wasn't going to be a bill raising taxes sooner or later, there would be no proposals to raise taxes.

It's an "I told you so" in waiting. But have faith it will come.