promises promises yeah right!!

Okay.

The strange phenomenon remains, however, that people continue to want expensive programs like universal health care (Gallup poll over the weekend shows 79%), yet they are worried about deficit spending, which universal health care would dramatically increase (last week's NBC/NYT poll of 59%). Everyone wants cake but don't want to make it or buy it, just eat it.

That was a bad guess without looking it up. It was actually a CBS/NYT poll at 72%.

PollingReport.com

In that link, click on the health care issue and you'll get a picture of the mood of the country, which clearly indicates they want something. What "something" will look like remains anyone's guess at this point.

Do you make things up on a regular basis?

What am I saying. Of course you do.

Yeah, I made up those poll numbers. Fuck off, jerk.

The point here is that Obama ran for President on a "Change" message and was simply to point out what I've known all along and that is that "Change" was just that a slogan and nothing more. What your going to get is more of the same in a slicker package. However, with all this spending, its pretty much a given that taxes are going to go up for.. " EVERYONE" I just wish Obama had been honest enough with his "Change" message to say so. Then again, I don't think that would have gotten him elected and would have run contrary to the the great give away. As for cap and trade I'm simply going to say this, when you tax carbon on whatever form that may be, as an indirect tax it's still a tax. Even though it's in the form of value added taxes to things like gas, etc. .. Cap and Trade is a scheme and nothing more invented by enviro-business to reap the benefits of the so called "Global Warming" marketing scheme that has played itself out among such noted scientists as the like of Al Gore. Oh did I happen to mention that Mr. Gore just happens to be vested in a carbon trading company in London. So keep thinking about how wonderful Cap and Trade is going to be when countries like China and India laugh at the US and and keep on building coal fired plants at the rate of one every two weeks while we further weaken our economy at the expense of this nation and over burden our children to pay for another scheme. Getting back to my original thread topic though, was to simply point out that Obama is no different than any other political persona in that . say anything, do anything, to get there, and stay in power. ...

Oh come on. Obama had some valid propositions which were reactions to what the majority of Americans were yearning for--domestic priorities over foreign. Obviously neither he nor anyone else running for president could present audiences with every single detail (and background) concerning all the issues they try to cover during a campaign. That's the only thing that lends validity to your "point" of do-anything/say-anything.

So now that he's won on making domestic priorities his priority, Obama is doing exactly what ANY president would do and that is to embellish his "promises" by studying and acting on the best way to carry them out. It's a given that he (or any prez) would run into problems and roadblocks, and it's also a given that he (or any prez) won't get everything EXACTLY as he proposed during a campaign.

My biggest complaint, Navy, continues to be that his critics only do just that--criticize and pick at the weak part of any proposal he makes and then go on to make THOSE the talking points du jour, rather than offering alternative viable solutions. This president has more on his plate after only five months in office than any president in history. I continue to believe he should be given more time to totally screw up, as it appears you so desperately wish.

I've been making notes for months, and I plan to do my own six-month evaluation of Obama's successes and failures and the reasons why. But it will probably still fall on blind eyes and deaf ears to those who really don't care because failure and blame are all that interests them.

By all means.... Evaluate.... Do a thorough performance review. While you're at it, include the CHANGE YOU CAN BELIEVE IN. Oh.... And please do not omit the little detail regarding how well he has prioritized his list of priorities. I believe he will deserve a 10 next to "attempting to ram his wish list down our throats", particularly after having re-ordered the wish list according to the urgent domestic need that arose around September.

Now now, you will have Jillian and her cohorts in here telling you you are an idiot, liar and dumb ass. Obama is not raising any taxes, it is all Congress doing it and against the wishes of Obama. Never mind that Congress is controlled completely by the DEMOCRATS.

How dare you question " The One". He is FORCED by Bush to do these things. Ohh did I forget? Campaign promises are never ever true, so Obama did not lie, he just said what he needed to to get elected.

There several excuses to Cover Obama.

Hmmm.... I would review the list of promises with you, but the MSNBC page has expired. LOL

Todd: Obama's growing pains - Chuck Todd- msnbc.com
Updated February. 7, 2009

Track President Barack Obama's promises Explore and track the president's campaign pledges. See if Obama keeps his word, and vote on his progress during the first 100 days.

Didn't I post this website in this thread? Your own "excuse" for not finding out the information in a hundred OTHER places doesn't fly.

PolitiFact | Sorting out the truth in politics

Oh my.... After the speech about "another life"? ROTFLMAO!

Now now, you will have Jillian and her cohorts in here telling you you are an idiot, liar and dumb ass. Obama is not raising any taxes, it is all Congress doing it and against the wishes of Obama. Never mind that Congress is controlled completely by the DEMOCRATS.

How dare you question " The One". He is FORCED by Bush to do these things. Ohh did I forget? Campaign promises are never ever true, so Obama did not lie, he just said what he needed to to get elected.

There several excuses to Cover Obama.

Hmmm.... I would review the list of promises with you, but the MSNBC page has expired. LOL

Updated February. 7, 2009

Track President Barack Obama's promises Explore and track the president's campaign pledges. See if Obama keeps his word, and vote on his progress during the first 100 days.

Didn't I post this website in this thread? Your own "excuse" for not finding out the information in a hundred OTHER places doesn't fly.

PolitiFact | Sorting out the truth in politics

Now that I've finished laughing....

Tracking Obama’s promises
31Promise Kept8Compromise6Promise Broken12Stalled64In the Works393No Action
PolitiFact will be tracking Barack Obama’s promises during his presidency and will be rating the progress of each one. >>more

Promises we have rated recently
No. 430:
Pressure Sudan to end violence in Darfur

No. 422:
Create new financial regulations

No. 221:
Double the Peace Corps

No. 421:
Appoint an American Indian policy adviser

No. 294:
Support repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA)

>>More promises we've rated recently

>>PolitiFact's Top 25 Promises

Advertisement Obama’s To-Do List
Of Obama's 514 promises, most are still rated No Action. Here’s a random sampling of five of them:

No. 371:
Fund a major expansion of AmeriCorps

No. 106:
Expand Veterans Centers in rural areas

No. 123:
Fully fund debt cancellation for heavily indebted poor countries

No. 105:
Increase the Veterans Administration budget to recruit and retain more mental health professionals

No. 292:
Urge states to treat same-sex couples with full equality in their family and adoption laws

514 PROMISES! What was he? Crazy?

Last edited:
Harvard economist Martin Feldstein, who has advised Obama, warns that “the barrage of tax increases proposed in President Barack Obama’s budget could, if enacted by Congress, kill any chance of an early and sustained recovery.” He compares Obama’s tax increases to the ones that contributed to the Great Depression and the “Lost Decade” of economic stagnation and decay in Japan.

Feldstein, who serves on Obama’s economic advisory board, has also “warned of serious inflation and higher taxes down the road” as a result of Obama’s policies.

Feldstein singles out for criticism Obama’s proposed global-warming tax. “Mr. Obama’s biggest proposed tax increase is the cap-and-trade system of requiring businesses to buy carbon dioxide emission permits. . .CBO Director Douglas Elmendorf testified before the Senate Finance Committee on May 7 that the cap-and-trade price increases . . . would cost the average household roughly $1,600 a year, ranging from $700 in the lowest-income quintile to $2,200 in the highest-income quintile.”
Adviser Admits Obama’s Tax Increases May Kill Economic Recovery*|*OpenMarket.org

couple that with, healthcare, the stimulus, the auto-bailout, the recently passed tax on cigarettes, and a host of other Value added taxes and you have a tax increase on people making a LOT less than 100K a year.

I'd like to rep this one, but I'm out of reps...

Great post and spot on...

Maggie the info is available on line. Bush cut the tax rates on the wealthiest tax payers by a whopping 7%. He also cut the tax rates on all other tax payers by substantially more. For instance the lowest tax bracket went from 15% to 10% so like it or not when you end the Bush tax cuts those on the bottom get a 50% increase in their tax rate from 10% back to 15%. It's basic math 5% is 50% of 10%.

Maggie the info is available on line. Bush cut the tax rates on the wealthiest tax payers by a whopping 7%. He also cut the tax rates on all other tax payers by substantially more. For instance the lowest tax bracket went from 15% to 10% so like it or not when you end the Bush tax cuts those on the bottom get a 50% increase in their tax rate from 10% back to 15%. It's basic math 5% is 50% of 10%.

I'm convinced that "new" math forgot to include "basic" math.

Forum List

Back