Prominent Muslim Sheik Issues Fatwa Against Isis Violence

It would be interesting to hear from the apologists who have appointed themselves arbiters as to who isn't a Muslim as to who IS a Muslim.

Is the Taliban Muslim?

How about Hamas, Hizb'Allah, and Hizb Ut Tahrir? Do they get to be called Muslim?

Do the leaders of Iran get to be included in the Muslim club, and what about tha Wahabists in Saudia Arabia? Muslim or non Muslim?

Are the Muslim Brotherhood Muslim? How about the hundreds upon hundreds of MILLIONS who believe a person who leaves Islam should be put to death? Muslim or non Muslim?

How about the untold millions upon millions who have had their genitals mutilated or who have supported the mutilation? Are they in your club?

Seems to me that once a person abandons any semblance of honesty by pursuing an agenda to limit a definition in such a way to only include something palatable, they would end up leaving more Muslims outside their definition than inside.

What hubris it takes for a westerner to decide who gets to be a Muslim and who doesn't when they actual people involved are so thoroughly convinced they are Muslim that it influences their every waking thought.

I am sure there are many Muslims who are appalled at what ISIS is doing. However, if so many mosques in Denmark are not condemning what is happening, you can be sure that the same thing is happening in other mosques in Europe and elsewhere. I am curious about one thing. During the Gaza war, protests against Israel were held around the world. There was one right here in front of the Federal Building in West Los Angeles. If these people took the time to protest against Israel en masse, why aren't they taking the time to hold protests against ISIS and Al Qaeda?

Minority support extremism Only 2 out... - Christian Defence League - Holland Flanders Facebook

Interesting "source"...a facebook page. Did you dig a bit deeper?

Only 2 out of 14 Mosques (14%) in Denmark were willing to distance themselves from the Islamic State"

The facebook page quotes a "blog" of sorts that makes the claim "

The actual article claims: TV2 East television station contacted a number of mosques in East Jutland and asked them the simple question whether they would denounce the Islamic State.

A mosque in Horsens took clear and unambiguous distance from IS and called it a terrorist organization. Two mosques in Randers and Silkeborg did not respond. In Aarhus, only one in six mosques say that they distance themselves from the Islamic State.

Three mosques were impossible to get hold of, despite extremely strenuous efforts from the journalist to make clear what the question was, and how to contact him.

Two mosques refused to comment — including the Grimhøjvej mosque (known for recruiting jihadis)….

East Jutland only - not Denmark.

Out of 14 Mosques...2 refused to comment, 3 could not be contacted, and the author takes that to mean they "support" ISIS.

What a load of rubbish - it's a piss poor study. You've been complaining that Muslims do nothing, here is a good example that they are doing something and instead of applauding it you vomit up crap.

My goodness, I didn't expect you to vomit up anything about what this Imam in the U.S. was preaching (as well as the other members of the clergy in the Muslim world who preach the same)..

What this Muslim Imam said while 8220 preaching 8221 in TENNESSEE about Christians and Jews should be national news 8230

Nor do I ever see you vomiting up anything about the anti-Semitic stuff dragged up by posters. Nor did I expect you to find an excuse for the Muslims not protesting all the killing being done by fellow Muslims in the Middle East. Maybe they just took enough time off from work and didn't have any more vacation time or sick leave to do this since they used it all up protesting the Israelis. As a civilized person, I would have expected you to at least have had a word for the people and their travails in Iraq and Syria, people like the Tazidis, the Christians, and the Kurds. Yetr there was not a word from you, and as per usual you were going into your public relations mode for the Muslims. Nobody said that all the Muslims (including members of the clergy) are for ISIS and there are many who are ashamed at what is happening. There are Muslims, however, who are for ISIS and try as you want to deny it, they are there.

One in six French people say they support ISIS - Vox

Geez Sally, you can't even stay on topic on your own thread can you? You must hate the fact that Muslims in large numbers do not consider ISIS Islamic nor do they support ISIS and clerics, religious scholars are trying to stem the propaganda promoted by IS. I would have thought this would have made you glad.

Interesting bit from your Vox article:

This is alarming, in part because a growing number of Europeans, often from predominantly Muslim immigrant communities, are not just expressing their support for ISIS in polls: they are traveling to Syria and Iraq to join up. The ISIS fighter who killed American journalist James Foley on video last week spoke with a strong London accent. European governments are rightly worried about the implications of this for their own national security.

But there's more going on here. It's no secret that far-right politics have been on the rise in Western Europe, which includes a growing willingness to embrace extremism and greater intolerance of all kinds. It is ironic but by no means impossible that far-right Islamophobia would rise in Europe alongside a greater approval of the Islamist group ISIS. Extremism is often reactive and ideologically contradictory.

The growth of European intolerance has brought a rise in hate toward Jews in Europe, as well as Muslims. It's more complicated than extremism festering within predominantly Muslim immigrant communities. "There is no clear correlation in Europe between the level of popular anti-Semitism and the size of the Muslim population," the British writer Kenan Malik explained recently in the New York Times. He went on:

The rise of identity politics has helped create a more fragmented, tribal society, and made sectarian hatred more acceptable generally.

At the same time, the emergence of "anti-politics," the growing contempt for mainstream politics and politicians noticeable throughout Europe, has laid the groundwork for a melding of radicalism and bigotry. Many perceive a world out of control and driven by malign forces; conspiracy theories, once confined to the fringes of politics, have become mainstream.

The good news here may be the Gaza poll numbers. While 13 percent is exactly 13 more than what it should be, 85 percent of polled Gazans said they oppose ISIS. That's awfully high, especially considering that Europeans were much less likely to say they held an unfavorable view of the group...

Yeah, I can see why the Europeans are worried. Who even knows how many more in Europe support ISIS or Al Qaeda. We can even throw in Africa and Southeast Asia and wonder how many support these groups.

It would be interesting to hear from the apologists who have appointed themselves arbiters as to who isn't a Muslim as to who IS a Muslim.

Is the Taliban Muslim?

How about Hamas, Hizb'Allah, and Hizb Ut Tahrir? Do they get to be called Muslim?

Do the leaders of Iran get to be included in the Muslim club, and what about tha Wahabists in Saudia Arabia? Muslim or non Muslim?

Are the Muslim Brotherhood Muslim? How about the hundreds upon hundreds of MILLIONS who believe a person who leaves Islam should be put to death? Muslim or non Muslim?

How about the untold millions upon millions who have had their genitals mutilated or who have supported the mutilation? Are they in your club?

Seems to me that once a person abandons any semblance of honesty by pursuing an agenda to limit a definition in such a way to only include something palatable, they would end up leaving more Muslims outside their definition than inside.

What hubris it takes for a westerner to decide who gets to be a Muslim and who doesn't when they actual people involved are so thoroughly convinced they are Muslim that it influences their every waking thought.

I am sure there are many Muslims who are appalled at what ISIS is doing. However, if so many mosques in Denmark are not condemning what is happening, you can be sure that the same thing is happening in other mosques in Europe and elsewhere. I am curious about one thing. During the Gaza war, protests against Israel were held around the world. There was one right here in front of the Federal Building in West Los Angeles. If these people took the time to protest against Israel en masse, why aren't they taking the time to hold protests against ISIS and Al Qaeda?

Minority support extremism Only 2 out... - Christian Defence League - Holland Flanders Facebook

Only 2 out of 14 Mosques (14%) in Denmark were willing to distance themselves from the Islamic State"

The actual article claims: TV2 East television station contacted a number of mosques in East Jutland and asked them the simple question whether they would denounce the Islamic State.

A mosque in Horsens took clear and unambiguous distance from IS and called it a terrorist organization. Two mosques in Randers and Silkeborg did not respond. In Aarhus, only one in six mosques say that they distance themselves from the Islamic State.

Three mosques were impossible to get hold of, despite extremely strenuous efforts from the journalist to make clear what the question was, and how to contact him.

Two mosques refused to comment — including the Grimhøjvej mosque (known for recruiting jihadis)….

Out of 14 Mosques...2 refused to comment, 3 could not be contacted, and the author takes that to mean they "support" ISIS.

What a load of rubbish - it's a piss poor study. You've been complaining that Muslims do nothing, here is a good example that they are doing something and instead of applauding it you vomit up crap.

My goodness, I didn't expect you to vomit up anything about what this Imam in the U.S. was preaching (as well as the other members of the clergy in the Muslim world who preach the same)..

What this Muslim Imam said while 8220 preaching 8221 in TENNESSEE about Christians and Jews should be national news 8230

Nor do I ever see you vomiting up anything about the anti-Semitic stuff dragged up by posters. Nor did I expect you to find an excuse for the Muslims not protesting all the killing being done by fellow Muslims in the Middle East. Maybe they just took enough time off from work and didn't have any more vacation time or sick leave to do this since they used it all up protesting the Israelis. As a civilized person, I would have expected you to at least have had a word for the people and their travails in Iraq and Syria, people like the Tazidis, the Christians, and the Kurds. Yetr there was not a word from you, and as per usual you were going into your public relations mode for the Muslims. Nobody said that all the Muslims (including members of the clergy) are for ISIS and there are many who are ashamed at what is happening. There are Muslims, however, who are for ISIS and try as you want to deny it, they are there.

Geez Sally, you can't even stay on topic on your own thread can you? You must hate the fact that Muslims in large numbers do not consider ISIS Islamic nor do they support ISIS and clerics, religious scholars are trying to stem the propaganda promoted by IS. I would have thought this would have made you glad.

This is alarming, in part because a growing number of Europeans, often from predominantly Muslim immigrant communities, are not just expressing their support for ISIS in polls: they are traveling to Syria and Iraq to join up. The ISIS fighter who killed American journalist James Foley on video last week spoke with a strong London accent. European governments are rightly worried about the implications of this for their own national security.

But there's more going on here. It's no secret that far-right politics have been on the rise in Western Europe, which includes a growing willingness to embrace extremism and greater intolerance of all kinds. It is ironic but by no means impossible that far-right Islamophobia would rise in Europe alongside a greater approval of the Islamist group ISIS. Extremism is often reactive and ideologically contradictory.

The growth of European intolerance has brought a rise in hate toward Jews in Europe, as well as Muslims. It's more complicated than extremism festering within predominantly Muslim immigrant communities. "There is no clear correlation in Europe between the level of popular anti-Semitism and the size of the Muslim population," the British writer Kenan Malik explained recently in the New York Times. He went on:

The rise of identity politics has helped create a more fragmented, tribal society, and made sectarian hatred more acceptable generally.

At the same time, the emergence of "anti-politics," the growing contempt for mainstream politics and politicians noticeable throughout Europe, has laid the groundwork for a melding of radicalism and bigotry. Many perceive a world out of control and driven by malign forces; conspiracy theories, once confined to the fringes of politics, have become mainstream.

The good news here may be the Gaza poll numbers. While 13 percent is exactly 13 more than what it should be, 85 percent of polled Gazans said they oppose ISIS. That's awfully high, especially considering that Europeans were much less likely to say they held an unfavorable view of the group...

Yeah, I can see why the Europeans are worried. Who even knows how many more in Europe support ISIS or Al Qaeda. We can even throw in Africa and Southeast Asia and wonder how many support these groups.

I think an equally bad worry is the rise of radical/nationalist rightwing politics that is helping fuel tensions and alienation in immigrant and minority communities. It's an explosive combination.

I think an equally bad worry is the rise of radical/nationalist rightwing politics that is helping fuel tensions and alienation in immigrant and minority communities. It's an explosive combination.

Well you can think what you want to. Perhaps if the immigrants assimiliated like immigrants around the world did before, maybe there wouldn't be such tensions. Meanwhile, I hope you don't mind if I ask you where was your compassion and sympathy for the Tazidis, the Christians, and the Kurds who have been and are still going through such travails in their native lands? I think this is more important than you running over here trying to give good publicity to the Muslims.

Well you can think what you want to. Perhaps if the immigrants assimiliated like immigrants around the world did before, maybe there wouldn't be such tensions. Meanwhile, I hope you don't mind if I ask you where was your compassion and sympathy for the Tazidis, the Christians, and the Kurds who have been and are still going through such travails in their native lands? I think this is more important than you running over here trying to give good publicity to the Muslims.

In my heart.

You do realize that many Kurds are also Muslim don't you?

Muslim Leaders Worldwide Condemn ISIS Global Research

Many Americans Want to Know Why Muslims Aren’t Condemning ISIS
ABC News’ Laura Ingraham, Fox News’ Sean Hannity, Fox & Friends and other U.S. media commentators say that Muslims are silent and complicit in the barbarian crimes of ISIS. Fox News host Andrea Tantaros said that all Muslims are the same as ISIS, and implied that all Muslims should be met “with a bullet to the head”.

Why don’t we hear Muslims condemning the barbarian ISIS terrorists?

Turns out they are loudly condemning ISIS … but our press isn’t covering it.

Father Elias Mallon of the Catholic Near East Welfare Association explains:

“Why aren’t Muslims speaking out against these atrocities?” The answer is: Muslims have been speaking out in the strongest terms, condemning the crimes against humanity committed by ISIS (or, as it is increasingly called, IS) and others in the name of Islam.

Father Mallon is right …

Vatican Radio – an official Vatican news site – reported last month:

Two of the leading voices in the Muslim world denounced the persecution of Christians in Iraq, at the hands of extremists proclaiming a caliphate under the name Islamic State.

The most explicit condemnation came from Iyad Ameen Madani, the Secretary General for the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, the group representing 57 countries, and 1.4 billion Muslims.

In a statement, he officially denounced the “forced deportation under the threat of execution” of Christians, calling it a “crime that cannot be tolerated.” The Secretary General also distanced Islam from the actions of the militant group known as ISIS, saying they “have nothing to do with Islam and its principles that call for justice, kindness, fairness, freedom of faith and coexistence.”

Meanwhile, Turkey’s top cleric, the spiritual successor to the caliphate under the Ottoman Empire, also touched on the topic during a peace conference of Islamic scholars.

In a not-so-veiled swipe at ISIS, Mehmet Gormez declared that “an entity that lacks legal justification has no authority to declare war against a political gathering, any country or community.” He went on to say that Muslims should not be hostile towards “people with different views, values and beliefs, and regard them as enemies.”

rest of article at link

Of course I do. Do you think I ask what the religion of the children are when I send money to UNICEF? However, you have been very quiet about what is happening to the people in Iraq and Syria no matter what their religion might be. If appears that you only now jumped on this forum to be the Public Relations agent for the Muslims even though Muslims have been and are still being murdered by other Muslims in these areas.

Of course I do. Do you think I ask what the religion of the children are when I send money to UNICEF? However, you have been very quiet about what is happening to the people in Iraq and Syria no matter what their religion might be. If appears that you only now jumped on this forum to be the Public Relations agent for the Muslims even though Muslims have been and are still being murdered by other Muslims in these areas.

I don't respond to 99% of the threads in USMB, including most of the threads here. Every now and then I post something. And no Sally, I didn't "just jump" here - I've posted here as long as you have - maybe longer. I just don't spend all my time churning out article after article after article thinking that is some sort of indication that a person is "concerned".

Why do you have such a problem with any attempts to show a positive aspect of Islam or Muslims? Why do attack it every time even when they do the right thing? Why do you want to shut down those voices? I would think that you for one would appreciate the fact that more and more influential leaders are loudly and publically speaking out. But you don't.

I don't respond to 99% of the threads in USMB, including most of the threads here. Every now and then I post something. And no Sally, I didn't "just jump" here - I've posted here as long as you have - maybe longer. I just don't spend all my time churning out article after article after article thinking that is some sort of indication that a person is "concerned".

Why do you have such a problem with any attempts to show a positive aspect of Islam or Muslims? Why do attack it every time even when they do the right thing? Why do you want to shut down those voices? I would think that you for one would appreciate the fact that more and more influential leaders are loudly and publically speaking out. But you don't.

Blah, blah blah goes the Public Relations agent for Islam. So many people have been suffering in Iraq and Syria, and she felt she did her duty by trying to persuade us that there are really only just a few Muslims involved, and all the rest of the Muslims are against ISIS. Meanwhile, regardless of what she posted, for all that has been going in in Iraq and Syria, has anyone seen Coyote give a mention as to what is happening to the people there? One would think that she would at least have mentioned incidents where Muslims were killing other Muslims.

You've pretty much confirmed once again, that attempting to converse with you is a complete and utter waste of time as you seem to be nothing more than a troll.

More Than 100 Muslim Clerics Sign Letter Condemning ISIS

Top Muslim leaders in the United States on Wednesday released a detailed refutation of claims by the terrorist group ISIS that its actions in Iraq and Syria are in keeping with Islamic law. The letter, signed by 111 prominent clerics from around the world, lists dozens of ways in which the clerics assert that ISIS has consistently violated Islamic law.

More Than 100 Muslim Clerics Sign Letter Condemning ISIS - Yahoo News

You've pretty much confirmed once again, that attempting to converse with you is a complete and utter waste of time as you seem to be nothing more than a troll.

Top Muslim leaders in the United States on Wednesday released a detailed refutation of claims by the terrorist group ISIS that its actions in Iraq and Syria are in keeping with Islamic law. The letter, signed by 111 prominent clerics from around the world, lists dozens of ways in which the clerics assert that ISIS has consistently violated Islamic law.

It has become clear to many of the rational readers that you don't want to hear anything bad against the Muslims no matter how many thousands and thousands of people they kill. Speaking of trolls, I have to laugh at you saying that, and it only shows how ridiculous you are.

Just because someone signs something doesn't mean that in his heart he thinks opposite. Meanwhile, I think we are quite aware of the many clerics who are inciting the people to become terrorists. You know we can keep this up all day long, but the fact of the matter is that regardless what these clerics say, innocent people are still dying and that is the important thing.

A spark of good news from the Mideast
Opinion Muslims are tired of extremism - CNN.com

A recent poll of 14 Muslim-majority countries by the Pew Research Center has come up with startling, highly encouraging results: Muslims are becoming increasingly opposed to extremism.

Muslims are turning against organizations that support violence and terrorism. Public approval for suicide bombings is way down, and so is support for the likes of al Qaeda, Hezbollah, Hamas and Boko Haram.

It's a dramatic change from the days just after 9/11 when any Westerner traveling through the Muslim Middle East and Asia could see troubling signs. I remember the Osama bin Laden T-shirts flying off the shelves in the bazaars, the burning Twin Towers shirts hawked by street vendors, the jaw-dropping conversations, even with some educated people who found justification for every manner of terrorist activity.

At long last, that ideology is significantly receding. While extremists are making territorial gains, their ideology is losing ground. They are losing the war of ideas.

Concerns about Islamic Extremism on the Rise in Middle East Pew Research Center s Global Attitudes Project

• Middle East Concerns about Islamic Extremism Grow
  • Negative Views of al Qaeda Common
  • Boko Haram Reviled in Nigeria
  • Pakistanis Have No Love for Taliban
  • Hezbollah Disliked in Middle East
  • Hamas Viewed Negatively, Even in Palestinian Territories

Tolerance for extremism is declining in areas where people have lived with and suffered under it. Perhaps that's why groups like ISIS have to recruit foriegners - usually young men who feel disenfranchised and are seduced by incredibly sophisticated and professionally produced propaganda into thinking they are fighting for Islam. When they get there, they are executed if they try to leave or have no where to return to because they have joined a terrorist group.

Even some women have been recruited and gone to join them. They are a cult.

It has become clear to many of the rational readers that you don't want to hear anything bad against the Muslims no matter how many thousands and thousands of people they kill. Speaking of trolls, I have to laugh at you saying that, and it only shows how ridiculous you are.

Just because someone signs something doesn't mean that in his heart he thinks opposite. Meanwhile, I think we are quite aware of the many clerics who are inciting the people to become terrorists. You know we can keep this up all day long, but the fact of the matter is that regardless what these clerics say, innocent people are still dying and that is the important thing.

So now you're a psychic Sally - you claim to know what's in their hearts? The only thing you are making obvious is that you hate Muslims and even when something good is presented you'll find some way to negate it.

You don't care about innocent people dying. If you did, you wouldn't confine your "concern" to just one area.

Thank you for clarity.

So now you're a psychic Sally - you claim to know what's in their hearts? The only thing you are making obvious is that you hate Muslims and even when something good is presented you'll find some way to negate it.

You don't care about innocent people dying. If you did, you wouldn't confine your "concern" to just one area.

Thank you for clarity.
Because young people can be incredibly stupid and gullible.
I would like to believe someone with wisdom would not be so gullible to claim that the likes of ISIS and Al Qaeda are not Islamic. That would be the foolishness of self-righteous youth.

I have worked with muslims educated muslims for more than 40 years-----MOST from south east asia-----thus I have a very clear picture of their thoughts on AL QUEIDA and TALIBAN etc ---In fact I had been in mosques DECADES ago---but not since-----still muslims were not adverse to telling me in fair detail the WISDOM
imparted at the last Khutbah Jumaat. Here is the real story----until 9-11-01----even educated muslims had a very high EXPRESSED opinion of Osama bin Laden----after 9-11----they did not want to talk about it They still love the Taliban.
CALIPHATE is the only legitimate government in
Islamic ideology

I would like to believe someone with wisdom would not be so gullible to claim that the likes of ISIS and Al Qaeda are not Islamic. That would be the foolishness of self-righteous youth.

It's not me making the "claims" - I'm merely quoting what Islamic scholars and clerics are saying.

Are you an expert or...is that the "foolishness of self-righteous youth"?

Thank you for clarity.

I wish to thank you for showing us what a hard-working public relations agent you are for Islam. There has been so much in the news about how innocent people have been suffering in iraq and Syria, but you deemed it more important to blabber about people against ISIS. What is more important -- the lives of innocent people or what some Muslim clerics are saying? Regardless what they are saying, the killings will still be going on.

By the way, I was reading the other day how Muslims in Jordan were saying they were against ISIS because they were afraid to say they were for them as the government would be keeping tabs to see who was for terrorism. If I find the article again, I'll show it to you.

Thank you for clarity.

I wish to thank you for showing us what a hard-working public relations agent you are for Islam. There has been so much in the news about how innocent people have been suffering in iraq and Syria, but you deemed it more important to blabber about people against ISIS. What is more important -- the lives of innocent people or what some Muslim clerics are saying? Regardless what they are saying, the killings will still be going on.

By the way, I was reading the other day how Muslims in Jordan were saying they were against ISIS because they were afraid to say they were for them as the government would be keeping tabs to see who was for terrorism. If I find the article again, I'll show it to you.

You don't think it's important news that people are against ISIS?

It's not me making the "claims" - I'm merely quoting what Islamic scholars and clerics are saying.

Are you an expert or...is that the "foolishness of self-righteous youth"?

actually you picking and choosing random virtually meaningless comments and
OVER INTERPRETING them
A comment----I AM AGAINST TERRORISM ---
from a muslim cleric is virtually meaningless
unless he DEFINES "TERRORISM"
For a muslim QADI to deplore "murder"---does not mean he deplores grabbing a four year old
jewish girl by the hair and blowing her brains out-------in Islamic law that is not "MURDER".
It is jihadism for allah. In fact in Islamic law such an act cannot be called a "capital crime"

Thank you for clarity.

You don't think it's important news that people are against ISIS?

I think we can use our heads that there are Muslims again ISIS -- whether it is because they either genuinely don't like to see innocent people killed or they don't like to see Islam's reputatioin stained so now they are speaking out. However, I will reiterate -- what is more important -- the lives of people or others just speaking out against ISIS whether they are genuinely concerned or not?

Forum List

Back