Profanity! Do you talk to your mom that way?

I think many people use profanity for the street cred, Yes, some of you do speak to your mother that way. Did she bring you up that way?

I don't make a habit of it for several reasons, chief being I can't talk like that at work. :)

Interesting though, working with so many students. Some kids say things suck and don't even remotely consider that a curse word. Other kids think the "S" word is "stupid", or are not allowed to use the word "hate" at home.

I don't make a habit of it for several reasons, chief being I can't talk like that at work. :)

Interesting though, working with so many students. Some kids say things suck and don't even remotely consider that a curse word. Other kids think the "S" word is "stupid", or are not allowed to use the word "hate" at home.
I cuss like a highly pissed off Drill Sergeant used to, in certain company I can get pretty creative.

That said I evaluate the company I'm in so that I speak in a manner that is least offensive. Just as anyone who has self respect, you keep clean, at least attempt to live a productive life with decent housing standards, avoid criminal behavior and people who engage in it as well as mind your own fuckin business.

I do recall growing up that I was free to say more things than other kids, particularly "rich" kids, and still not allowed too cross a certain line at least among adults. Even around those kids "more affluent" however, they didn't approve of those words either. So when I was among them I spoke according to those standards.

I prefered to play with "less affluent" kids because, I could say whatever I wanted and dealt with the consequences if someone was offended enough to create a conflict. We got dirty, did stupid destructive shit, swam in water I would let a dog swim in now, and most of us managed to survive. We are the people in the world who fix everything, accomplish things with our hands and solve problems with our minds because we used them in a time and place when you could and did die otherwise.

Years ago growing up "sux" was the curse word. Being devil's advocate, lollipops are also called "suckers", and kids suck on suckers. So I can understand how some kids can consider "sucks" to be an acceptable word since there are many contexts in which it's perfectly acceptable.

Years ago growing up "sux" was the curse word. Being devil's advocate, lollipops are also called "suckers", and kids suck on suckers. So I can understand how some kids can consider "sucks" to be an acceptable word since there are many contexts in which it's perfectly acceptable.

I think "sucks" has grown so mild it's now on par with something like "What the heck". However when my students say it, I just ask them "please choose a different word next time"....not like if they let loose with an F bomb or something.

Forum List

Back