Prevention is cheaper than cure

i love how west has determined that diabetes 2 is a lifestyle choice.....let me think.....grandmother had it...mother had it....one uncle that i know of has it....i have it.....my grandmother and mother were never overweight....both were basically eating veggies and very little meat....my uncle is not overweight but i do not know about his diet...now i admit to being a foodie .....but the best thing i have heard about diabetes 2 is...

genetics loads the gun and lifestyle pulls the trigger.....

you do know that there are skinny athletic people with diabetes....

but you just continue to make your judgements on others and their medical conditions...while lamenting that yours is all genetics

strollingbones ,

Most cases of Type II are lifestyle related, but not all. I made a mistake in not stating that in my post. Please note i did in all the other cases. But yes, there are some people who develop Type II through no fault of their own. Genetics is ALWAYS a huge determiner in a persons health. ALWAYS. I know people who have smoked their whole lives and you would never know it. They suffer no effect from smoking at all. Others can smoke for just a couple of years and they develop COPD.

So, please forgive my error, I was posting quickly and simply didn't review my post.

And this is why, again, we come back to the premise in the OP: If you have a family history of any chronic disease, the earlier you are screened for it, the better.

when i think back on all the times a medical professional should have caught my diabetes i am shocked.....i went and got a kit...tested then googled and then went to the doctor.....my feet were the symptom i could no longer ignore...

you are so right proper screening is a great thing.....

and we tend to ignore stuff....plus testing is rather expensive....i think that puts a lot of people off.....shouldnt preventive measures be cheap if not free?

To be honest, even before passage of the PPACA an A1c home test kit was not that expensive. You could buy one on eBay for under $40. But (A) you need to understand that the A1c is the measure of your blood glucose over the past three months, (B) you need to know what the results mean (between 4-6 is ideal, and the lower the better; over 6 and you need to see your doctor), and (C) if your A1c is over 6, then what?

Prior to the PPACA, you went to the doctor and he or she ran a whole bunch of other tests for which, if you had no insurance or a high deductible, you paid out of pocket. And once you were diagnosed with diabetes, then what?

Then, finger-sticks up to 4x a day, oral meds or, if they didn't work, insulin. If you had no insurance or a high deductible, you paid for all of this out of pocket, to the tune of several hundred dollars a month. Or, prior to the PPACA, you did without. And went into ketoacidosis or your kidneys failed or you went blind or you started losing toes, or any combination thereof.

What the "Put it on IGNORE!!!!!" crowd is denying, denying, denying, is that if you don't have insurance, you bail on those bills or you die. They'd prefer that anyone whose employer doesn't pay their health insurances costs just fuggin' dies, but we'll ignore them for now.

Bottom line: The sooner you're diagnosed, the sooner you can take action. Now, you're right, no one's going to teach some fat fuck that if he just loses 50-100 pounds he won't lose his feet or go blind ("Just gimme a pill, doc. I'll be fine"), but for the sane among us, diet and lifestyle (Get off the couch, you fat fuck, and go for a walk) are the second step after the diagnosis.

For many Americans, the first step was nearly impossible. And the costs were passed on to the "Put it on IGNORE!!!!!" crowd in their own rising medical costs, and they're still too dim to see it.

Their whole hue and cry is "OBAMA'S NOT THE BOSS OF ME!!!!!!!"

The PPACA is not going away, no matter how much they shriek.

The problem you have is you're trying to make it all a personal thing against obama when that is the farthest thing from the truth. The facts are that obama care is an utter disaster. It is going to kill more people than it saves. That is a fact. No amount of deflection that you attempt is going to alter that fact.

it matters what they eat and how they exercise...good diet and exercise will reduce the amount of insulin needed....and the drinking...that is the hardest thing for 1's they are young and want to drink and they just causes an internal cluster fuck

it is like any new program.....lots of holes and problems that need to be addressed....i am still wary about having maternity care...i think people should be able to opt out....if like me ...they are past the age of child bearing or cannot have kids...i understand wanting to include as much as they can but maternity coverage for a 62 yr old makes no sense...

The problem you have is you're trying to make it all a personal thing against obama when that is the farthest thing from the truth.

The problem is, I scan this forum and I see "obumacare" and stupid-ass Photoshops and hippo farts, and I realize that two-thirds of the people here cannot be reasoned with. And the least little ruffle of their smug worldview results in "Put it on IGNORE!!!!!"

The facts are that obama care is an utter disaster. It is going to kill more people than it saves. That is a fact. No amount of deflection that you attempt is going to alter that fact.

Sorry, but I'll need some facts to go with your "facts." Do you have any data comparing how many people it has "killed," compared to the number of patients who died under the old system? That would be helpful. Otherwise, I'm not impressed.

And, I hate to break it to you, but it's not going away. It's interesting to see the Gloom&Doom predictions 70 years ago that Social Security was "going to destroy America!!11!!" Guess what? It didn't, it hasn't, it won't. It's not going bankrupt, no matter what FAUXnews tells you, despite the theft from the system beginning under the Great God Reagan over three decades ago.

it is like any new program.....lots of holes and problems that need to be addressed....i am still wary about having maternity care...i think people should be able to opt out....if like me ...they are past the age of child bearing or cannot have kids...i understand wanting to include as much as they can but maternity coverage for a 62 yr old makes no sense...

This. The holes and problems will be studied and remedied in time...once Turtleman and Oompa Loompa are out of office and maybe we can get a Congress that can do something other than scream "NOOOOOO!" like a bunch of four-year-olds.

And if the screamers keep screaming, we will get single-payer sooner rather than later.

It's kind of like how Kim Davis' martyrdom campaign resulted in GoFundMe changing its policy.

Keep screaming, screamers.

i disagree west...obamacare has paid for a lot of my treatments and my hubbys bilateral tkr

Yes, you are the exceptions to the rule. My insurance has gone up 46% for lower quality care. I have already had a friend denied care because he is too old. It is only going to get worse. The rich won't care, the poor and lower middle class will love it till they can no longer find a doctor who takes Medicare (already happening here in Nevada, right now there is ONE dentist who will take it. Care to guess how long his waits are?) and the middle class is getting screwed because they have to pay more for less coverage.

Yup, I'm nearly 70 and they want me to have maternity care. That is merely a license for the insurance company to steal my money.

This. The holes and problems will be studied and remedied in time...once Turtleman and Oompa Loompa are out of office and maybe we can get a Congress that can do something other than scream "NOOOOOO!" like a bunch of four-year-olds.

And if the screamers keep screaming, we will get single-payer sooner rather than later.

It's kind of like how Kim Davis' martyrdom campaign resulted in GoFundMe changing its policy.

Keep screaming, screamers.

Bull crap. This is government controlled medical insurance. There will never be a fix because the people running it don't care. They don't care about me, or you, or Bones, they only care about the power that they have been given.

The UK is an excellent analogy for what is going to happen here. They have laws that state a patient MUST receive care within an hour of hitting the emergency room. The way that is dealt with is to keep the patients on the ambulance, frequently for hours, till there is someplace to put them. Care to guess how many die while waiting?

And the reason for this is there are no consequences for not doing their jobs. Surprise surprise government workers exempt themselves from harm for doing a shit job.

The problem you have is you're trying to make it all a personal thing against obama when that is the farthest thing from the truth.

The problem is, I scan this forum and I see "obumacare" and stupid-ass Photoshops and hippo farts, and I realize that two-thirds of the people here cannot be reasoned with. And the least little ruffle of their smug worldview results in "Put it on IGNORE!!!!!"

The facts are that obama care is an utter disaster. It is going to kill more people than it saves. That is a fact. No amount of deflection that you attempt is going to alter that fact.

Sorry, but I'll need some facts to go with your "facts." Do you have any data comparing how many people it has "killed," compared to the number of patients who died under the old system? That would be helpful. Otherwise, I'm not impressed.

And, I hate to break it to you, but it's not going away. It's interesting to see the Gloom&Doom predictions 70 years ago that Social Security was "going to destroy America!!11!!" Guess what? It didn't, it hasn't, it won't. It's not going bankrupt, no matter what FAUXnews tells you, despite the theft from the system beginning under the Great God Reagan over three decades ago.

As soon as the government starts releasing information we will. Sadly though they have refused to release the info. Not that it matters though, the effects are going to take a couple of years to manifest. It would give a normal person pause I would think however that Obama granted so many exemptions to his big donors. If it is such a great deal why did they decide that it was such a bad deal? And, if Obama thought that it was such a great deal why did he allow those high dollar donors to opt out?

are you claiming private insurance companies cared? really?

No, they care about making money. Obama care has given them a license to print money. They are now able to charge more than ever before, and for people like me they get to charge me for coverage that I will never, ever need. I'm a dude. I really doubt that I can get pregnant, how about you? And yet I have to pay for the coverage.

i am always amused when people say that obamacare will case death panels....like private insurance didnt cause people to die?

They won't be death panels, that is ridiculous. However, there will ultimately be some bureaucrat who stamps the form that says no treatment. Back in the old days you at least had the option to sue them. Now you don't.

This is government controlled medical insurance.

Oh, I'm sorry. I assumed because this was the "US Message Board," the people posting here were Americans.

What country do you live in?

This is government controlled medical insurance.

Oh, I'm sorry. I assumed because this was the "US Message Board," the people posting here were Americans.

What country do you live in?

I live in Nevada. How about you?

I know this is a concept that is going to be real hard for you to understand so I will make it as simple as I possibly can... Are you ready?

Here go's.....As soon as the government mandated that I had to have insurance, and it had to be a certain type THE GOVERNMENT TOOK CONTROL of that insurance. They are using intermediaries called private insurance companies, but the second that they don't do what the government tells them to....they are out of business.

Wrap your head around that concept.

I live in Nevada.

See, there's the "tell," right there. You don't live in America, you live in Nevada.

As for mandating what type of insurance you needed, I'm guessing before the PPACA you either had employer-provided insurance or a cheap catastrophic plan.

Then either your employer cut you off ("because Obama") or you were informed that, given your preexisting condition, you needed better care than a catastrophic plan could offer you.

But instead of blaming your employer for being a cheap fuck or the insurer for, most likely, turning you down for better coverage in the past because of your preexisting condition, it's all about "because Obama."

So my question to you is, do you want optimal care for your condition, or do you just want to rant and rave?

I live in Nevada.

See, there's the "tell," right there. You don't live in America, you live in Nevada.

As for mandating what type of insurance you needed, I'm guessing before the PPACA you either had employer-provided insurance or a cheap catastrophic plan.

Then either your employer cut you off ("because Obama") or you were informed that, given your preexisting condition, you needed better care than a catastrophic plan could offer you.

But instead of blaming your employer for being a cheap fuck or the insurer for, most likely, turning you down for better coverage in the past because of your preexisting condition, it's all about "because Obama."

So my question to you is, do you want optimal care for your condition, or do you just want to rant and rave?

Geez, you love to make assumptions don't you. No I have Aetna and I pay for it myself. I have paid out well over 200,000 over the years for health insurance for myself and my family. I would LOVE to see some real insurance reform. You want to make it worse for people like me because either you like power, you're an asshole, or you simply don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I am well off so Obama care doesn't hurt me. But it hurts the people around me and I hate that.

I was self employed for 35 years buckwheat and in that case I paid millions in health insurance for my employees. You simply haven't a fucking clue what you're babbling about.

I would LOVE to see some real insurance reform.

And you will. As soon as Turtleman and Oompa Loompa are out of office and the process of evolving toward single-payer becomes a reality.

Forum List

Back