Press 1 for English, 2 for Spanish...

Obviously, not everyone in the US speaks English as their primary language. If a private business chooses to offer services to customers in languages other than English it is none of your business. If it offends you then you can take your business elsewhere.

Obviously, not everyone in the US speaks English as their primary language. If a private business chooses to offer services to customers in languages other than English it is none of your business. If it offends you then you can take your business elsewhere.

And you failed to deal with all my points and simply keep referring to the same answer over and over

Isn't it a combination of principles and discouraging progression? The principle of the matter is that it's offensive to reject the host nation's customs, that universally include communicating in the nation's mother tongue. If you seek to enhance your circumstances by legally settling abroad, then learning the language is a fundamental prerequisite. If you refuse to, which is what a lot of these border hoppers do, then you should expect many obstacles during your stay. And no-one, least of all the taxpayers, should be responsible for enabling and perpetuating that social handicap.

Permanently settling abroad in a country that speaks another language? Learn the language. Though that should go without saying among the polite and realistic among us.

PS. There are street signs in London that bear translations below the English description. It stinks and should be discouraged across the board.

PS. There are street signs in London that bear translations below the English description. It stinks and should be discouraged across the board.

Why does that stink? Wouldn't more road accidents stink?

Isn't it a combination of principles and discouraging progression? The principle of the matter is that it's offensive to reject the host nation's customs, that universally include communicating in the nation's mother tongue.

Permanently settling abroad in a country that speaks another language? Learn the language. Though that should go without saying among the polite and realistic among us.

What does "polite" have to do with it?

I've noticed that this annoys the hell out of a lot of people. Are you among them?

I think that says a lot about people that this annoys them...

none of it flattering.

I'll tell you what annoys me.

It's not that I can push 2 for Spanish. It's that I have to push a bunch of other buttons talking to machines, before I ever get to a live person, and usually that live person is in India or the Philippines because they'll work for $3.00 a day and the company can't pay an American a fair wage.

A company does not exist to provide people with high paying jobs, it exists to make a profit.

I've noticed that this annoys the hell out of a lot of people. Are you among them?

I'm glad to hear it, as I'm sure the folks it annoys the hell out of are the very same folks that routinely park their gas guzzling giants in parking spots clearly labelled "compact cars only".

I'm not sure what you'd call "gas guzzling giants", but mine won't fit into a "compact cars only" parking spot. Not even on a bet.

Don't like. You know you'd park an SUV in a compact spot just to be a dick.

What the fuck are you talking about and what the fuck does it have to do with the OP?

You really shouldn't be drunk this early in the day.

Well I'm right, aren't I?

The way conservative dicks behave is very uniform.

No less uniform than "progressive" or liberal dicks behave. Or dicks of any other stripe, for that matter.

Isn't it a combination of principles and discouraging progression? The principle of the matter is that it's offensive to reject the host nation's customs, that universally include communicating in the nation's mother tongue. If you seek to enhance your circumstances by legally settling abroad, then learning the language is a fundamental prerequisite. If you refuse to, which is what a lot of these border hoppers do, then you should expect many obstacles during your stay. And no-one, least of all the taxpayers, should be responsible for enabling and perpetuating that social handicap.

I fully agree with what you've said above. But I do see where a private business owner should be permitted the ability to appeal to whatever market they desire. That would also include issues like smoking. If a bar or restaurant owner wishes to permit smoking on their premises, then those who do not desire exposure to that vice are equally free to patronize an establishment more to their liking. That would also apply to an establishment that would offer service in some other language than English.
Government services would be a different matter. If an individual desires government services, then it is implicit that they learn the language of the government to which they are applying. Unless the country in question is one with multiple recognized ethnicities and languages, i.e. Canada, Switzerland, Luxembourg.

If an individual desires government services, then it is implicit that they learn the language of the government to which they are applying. Unless the country in question is one with multiple recognized ethnicities and languages, i.e. Canada, Switzerland, Luxembourg.

What about a country like the US that does not have an official language?

ABSOLUTELY, this counrtry is an English speaking country. If you want to live here and become and American then learn English. I have been fortunate enought to travel to over 34 foreign countries and in all of they they speak the native language. I am not give an option, either learn the language or hire and interpreter or I fotgot or just go back homek..

ABSOLUTELY, this counrtry is an English speaking country. If you want to live here and become and American then learn English. I have been fortunate enought to travel to over 34 foreign countries and in all of they they speak the native language. I am not give an option, either learn the language or hire and interpreter or I fotgot or just go back homek..

I take it you are still working on learning English yourself?

I can understand the frustration with 'press 1 for...' stuff because it requires you to do something and adds another step to whatever the hell you are on the phone (or at the ATM, etc) for, but I don't see what the people who get bent out of shape over other people just speaking in X language out in the world are so worked up about. If two or more people are communicating and it has nothing directly to do with me, what the hell business is it of mine what language they are speaking?

I can understand the frustration with 'press 1 for...' stuff because it requires you to do something and adds another step to whatever the hell you are on the phone (or at the ATM, etc) for, but I don't see what the people who get bent out of shape over other people just speaking in X language out in the world are so worked up about. If two or more people are communicating and it has nothing directly to do with me, what the hell business is it of mine what language they are speaking?

Because it might create misunderstandings, for example i was with a friend once who saw something behind a couple of Hispanics and he pointed, this made the Hispanics angry because they thought he was insulting them we tried to explain and thats when we realized that hey couldn't understand English so us talking to them was useless, ended up calling the cops who had to get an interpreter who had to talk to the cop who had to talk to the interpreter who had to tak to each of us in turn all "just" because they couldn't speak English.

Forum List

Back