Press 1 for English, 2 for Spanish...

This is a prime example of the constant lowering of standards that is plaguing this country.

The Left wants to be "nice" and "fair" to immigrants, so they push this kind of thing. But, as usual, they're not looking at the deeper issue - is it really helping a Hispanic immigrant in the long run to make it easy for them to not speak English? How, precisely, does that help them in the job market? Is it not obvious that this will badly restrict them from getting good jobs?

Making something "easier" for someone does not necessarily mean that you're helping them. We continue to lower standards, and we continue to decline.

And the immigrants deserve better.

I don't buy it makes things easier.

I find nothing more annoying then when I have to push 20 buttons before I get to talk to a live person on a customer help line.

I had to make four calls with my new cell phone and couldn't get resolution (three times, when I finally got the "real Person" in the Philippines, there was some kind of distortion and I couldn't understand what he was saying.)

I finally went back to the store I bought it from on my lunchbreak and got it fixed. (The other minimum wage idiot put the sim chip in wrong.)

This is a prime example of the constant lowering of standards that is plaguing this country.

The Left wants to be "nice" and "fair" to immigrants, so they push this kind of thing. But, as usual, they're not looking at the deeper issue - is it really helping a Hispanic immigrant in the long run to make it easy for them to not speak English? How, precisely, does that help them in the job market? Is it not obvious that this will badly restrict them from getting good jobs?

Making something "easier" for someone does not necessarily mean that you're helping them. We continue to lower standards, and we continue to decline.

Seen through the prism of liberalism, of course immigrants are viewed as being incapable of assimilating. That includes learning the English language. So it becomes necessary for the standards to be lowered in order to accommodate incompetent immigrants.

I don't buy it makes things easier.

I find nothing more annoying then when I have to push 20 buttons before I get to talk to a live person on a customer help line.

I had to make four calls with my new cell phone and couldn't get resolution (three times, when I finally got the "real Person" in the Philippines, there was some kind of distortion and I couldn't understand what he was saying.)

I finally went back to the store I bought it from on my lunchbreak and got it fixed. (The other minimum wage idiot put the sim chip in wrong.)

I agree with you, I hate, hate, hate phone trees. I just have a problem with language one, if you dont speak english you need to learn to and that is not just for spanish speakers, it's for all speakers, because we cant all learn spanish, chinese, russian, ect ect. And it also means we need to get rid of ebonics and redneck and teach people proper english. Sorry but if you cant speak it, you probably will be stuck in a dead end job and it's bad for the person that is in that situation.

I've noticed that this annoys the hell out of a lot of people. Are you among them?
A person who can speak two languages is a good thing but a country that speaks two languages will just be divided.

I've already told people on the phone and in person "I don't speak Illegal Alien. Ni-Hongo dekimasu-ka?" (You speak Japanese?)

If I get asked something in Spanish I'll just rattle off a few phrases in Japanese: Eh? Mo ichi do iite! Nande Eigo wakarimasen? (What? Say that again! Why don't you understand English?)

Where's the rule that states I gotta' speak their f*ckin' language? When I lived in Japan I learned Japanese as best I could. F*ck these illegals.

Seen through the prism of liberalism, of course immigrants are viewed as being incapable of assimilating. That includes learning the English language. So it becomes necessary for the standards to be lowered in order to accommodate incompetent immigrants.

Guy, this has nothing to do with "liberalism".

Most companies have a "apriete dos para español" policy because they figured out there was enough of their customer base that spoke Spanish as their first language that there was a profit to be made to set up options for them.

In short, they did some calculations, figured out what it would cost to add another menu of soul-draining instructions in a second language (which was next to nothing) and then figured out how easy it would be to hire a bunch of call screeners in the Philippines who spoke Spanish on top of the ones who spoke English. (Which wasn't hard to find, the ROP was a Spanish Colony before it was an American one.)

I agree with you, I hate, hate, hate phone trees. I just have a problem with language one, if you dont speak english you need to learn to and that is not just for spanish speakers, it's for all speakers, because we cant all learn spanish, chinese, russian, ect ect. And it also means we need to get rid of ebonics and redneck and teach people proper english. Sorry but if you cant speak it, you probably will be stuck in a dead end job and it's bad for the person that is in that situation.

The question is, can we survive as a bi-lingual country...

Switzerland has three languages, they do fine.

Now, yeah, ideally, it would be nice if everyone learned English. Absolutely.

But most Europeans I know think Americans are dumber than a box of rocks because most of us only speak one language...

But most Europeans I know think Americans are dumber than a box of rocks because most of us only speak one language...

That's hardly a persuasive argument for learning more languages.

I can't remember who it was that I called, but I got a recording that said, "For English, please stay on the line. For Spanish, please hang up."

I've noticed that this annoys the hell out of a lot of people. Are you among them?
A person who can speak two languages is a good thing but a country that speaks two languages will just be divided.

I've already told people on the phone and in person "I don't speak Illegal Alien. Ni-Hongo dekimasu-ka?" (You speak Japanese?)

If I get asked something in Spanish I'll just rattle off a few phrases in Japanese: Eh? Mo ichi do iite! Nande Eigo wakarimasen? (What? Say that again! Why don't you understand English?)

Where's the rule that states I gotta' speak their f*ckin' language? When I lived in Japan I learned Japanese as best I could. F*ck these illegals.

THAT's why I love Cubans They virtually ALL speak English. I'm addicted to Cuban coffee and after thousands of stops at various coffee bars in South Florida, I got so I could order lunch in Spanish. I only tried that once or twice though. It seemed if I ordered in Spanish, the baristas would try to carry on a whole conversation. All it took was a blank stare and I'd get a smile and perfect English.

it is rather routine that it takes 3 generations in order for them to speak english fine.

Of course you had to post something completely stupid regardless.

it is rather routine that it takes 3 generations in order for them to speak english fine.

Hey cool, so assume they're condemned to three generations of shitty jobs because you don't think they're intelligent enough to take care of themselves.

You're not better than them, regardless of what you may think.

I think it's actually possible you believe that lowering standards and making it longer for them to learn English is actually a good thing. Your use of the word "stupid" is ironic, indeed.

Last edited:
Speak what you want in your home thats none of my business but when they start exporting that language to goverment and Businesses thats when it becomes my business, if you want to come here you should have to learn "our" language English and if you don't like that then don't come its as simple as that period, no exceptions.

Its stupid shit like this that pisses people off

http://learn-spanish-review.toptenr...sh-the-countrys-official-second-language.html

Last edited:

Not really, I know of some of my dad's post doc students, that speak english fine. Russian, egyption, chinese, you know EDUCATED people, they dont have a problem with it, because they DO it.

And I have talked to several hispanic kids that speak very very well, but the problem is there arent enough of them that really try to.

And explain black folk and ebonics?

It doesn't take 3 generations to learn a language.

What a moronic and insulting thing to say.

Forum List

Back