President Vetoes Children's Health Insurance Bill

red states rule

May 30, 2006
Bravo Pres Bush. This is a waste of money and takes the first step towards Hillary Care

The Dems are now in full meltdown and tossing out the hate filled one liners

WASHINGTON — President Bush on Wednesday vetoed a five-year, $35 billion expansion of the current State Children's Health Insurance Program, arguing the new program offers government-run health care to too many Americans who don't need it.

Democrats are confident they have a winning issue and are working hard to find enough votes in the House to override the veto. The Senate already has enough votes to override.

"Today the president showed the nation his true priorities: $700 billion for a war in Iraq, but no health care for low-income kids; $50 billion in subsidies for huge oil companies; but no health care for low-income kids; $8 billion lost to waste, fraud, abuse, and no-bid contracts in Iraq, but no health care for low-income kids," said Rep. Rahm Emanuel, D-Ill.

"Millions of American children and their families won't forget that they are on the bottom of the president's priority list," Emanuel said.

"President Bush is a one-man axis of evil," said Rep. Pete Stark, D-Calif. "If this is ‘compassionate conservativism,’ what is cruel and unusual punishment?"

Family health care coverage can cost more than $1,000 a month, and Democrats say they have the public on their side.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,299129,00.html

Dems will never run out of new ways to take your money and hand it over to others

I know...why don't those poor children get out there and get jobs? I thought you were all about saving kids lives? Oh wait...I forgot...the great American paradox...its ok to let people die...but if you kill them...well thats a whole different matter. The basis of our fucking asylum laws as well.

I know...why don't those poor children get out there and get jobs? I thought you were all about saving kids lives? Oh wait...I forgot...the great American paradox...its ok to let people die...but if you kill them...well thats a whole different matter. The basis of our fucking asylum laws as well.

So 25 year olds are kids and they are poor up to $80,000/yr income

We had this conversation already Mensa boy, the democrats want to add people to the dole that ALREADY can afford their own health insurance.

CNN’s Cafferty Laments War Spending, Bush Veto of SCHIP
By Matthew Balan | October 3, 2007 - 19:14 ET
CNN’s Jack Cafferty, in a "Question of the Hour" segment on Wednesday’s "The Situation Room," offered a loaded question involving President Bush’s veto of a proposed expansion of the SCHIP program. "President Bush has increased the national debt by trillions of dollars. Why would he veto a bill providing health insurance for children?"

Cafferty’s question came 10 minutes into the 5 pm Eastern hour of "The Situation Room." Before he asked that question, Cafferty detailed that President Bush’s veto of SCHIP "was cast very quietly this morning behind closed doors. No fanfare, no news coverage," and the reasons the President listed for his veto. He then added that "this is the same man who will soon go to Congress and ask for another $190 billion to continue that glorious war in Iraq." Cafferty also outlined how under President Bush’s leadership, the ceiling for the national debt has been increased for the fifth time in seven years to $9.8 trillion, and how apparently, President Bush "has borrowed more money from foreign governments and banks since taking office than this country's first 42 presidents combined."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthe...cafferty-laments-war-spending-bush-veto-schip

CNN Article on Bush Veto Omits President's Call for Boost to SCHIP
By Ken Shepherd | October 3, 2007 - 11:38 ET
Earlier today President Bush vetoed a bill to expand the federal State Children's Health Insurance Plans (SCHIP) by $35 billion over five years. Reporting the story, CNN.com pulled out all the stops, showing a cutesy photo of kid protesters on Lafayette Square (pictured at right) and rounding up a negative quote from an otherwise conservative Republican:

Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah was among those Republicans who split from the president. "It's very difficult for me to be against a man I care so much for," he told his colleagues on the Senate floor before the vote. "It's unfortunate that the president has chosen to be on what, to me, is clearly the wrong side of this issue."

A Washington Post-ABC News poll conducted September 27-30 found 72 percent of those surveyed support an increase in spending on the program, with 25 percent opposed. The poll's margin of error was 3 percentage points.

No conservative who agrees with Bush on SCHIP was given room for his or her talking point on controlling spending or preventing more federal control of health care.

What's more, at no point in CNN's brief online article is there a mention of President Bush's support for a $5 billion increase (over five years) in funding for the health care initiative. According to the White House's official Web site, President Bush favors a boost to SCHIP amounts to a roughly 20 percent boost in SCHIP spending, while the seven-times-larger Democratic plan would amount to a whopping 140 percent increase.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/ken-sh...e-bush-veto-omits-presidents-call-boost-schip

We had this conversation already Mensa boy, the democrats want to add people to the dole that ALREADY can afford their own health insurance.

Yes and it was already pointed out to you, that is what BUSH says which is *gasp* not necessarily true. I know its hard for you to believe...but its the case.

Depends on the state. You think the feds should be limiting it or the state should get to decide?

Yes and it was already pointed out to you, that is what BUSH says which is *gasp* not necessarily true. I know its hard for you to believe...but its the case.

Depends on the state. You think the feds should be limiting it or the state should get to decide?

Libs will never stop trying to make as many people as possible dependent on government

And never stop trying to take more money from the producers to pay for it

But of course YOU have decided the democrats are right. It also is not proven so could be NOT TRUE, ehh Mensa boy?

As to Feds deciding, it is FED money, thus Fed rules, so yes the Feds get to decide. Another reason the federal Government should NOT be doing it to begin with.

CNN’s Cafferty Laments War Spending, Bush Veto of SCHIP
By Matthew Balan | October 3, 2007 - 19:14 ET
CNN’s Jack Cafferty, in a "Question of the Hour" segment on Wednesday’s "The Situation Room," offered a loaded question involving President Bush’s veto of a proposed expansion of the SCHIP program. "President Bush has increased the national debt by trillions of dollars. Why would he veto a bill providing health insurance for children?"

Cafferty’s question came 10 minutes into the 5 pm Eastern hour of "The Situation Room." Before he asked that question, Cafferty detailed that President Bush’s veto of SCHIP "was cast very quietly this morning behind closed doors. No fanfare, no news coverage," and the reasons the President listed for his veto. He then added that "this is the same man who will soon go to Congress and ask for another $190 billion to continue that glorious war in Iraq." Cafferty also outlined how under President Bush’s leadership, the ceiling for the national debt has been increased for the fifth time in seven years to $9.8 trillion, and how apparently, President Bush "has borrowed more money from foreign governments and banks since taking office than this country's first 42 presidents combined."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthe...cafferty-laments-war-spending-bush-veto-schip

CNN Article on Bush Veto Omits President's Call for Boost to SCHIP
By Ken Shepherd | October 3, 2007 - 11:38 ET
Earlier today President Bush vetoed a bill to expand the federal State Children's Health Insurance Plans (SCHIP) by $35 billion over five years. Reporting the story, CNN.com pulled out all the stops, showing a cutesy photo of kid protesters on Lafayette Square (pictured at right) and rounding up a negative quote from an otherwise conservative Republican:

Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah was among those Republicans who split from the president. "It's very difficult for me to be against a man I care so much for," he told his colleagues on the Senate floor before the vote. "It's unfortunate that the president has chosen to be on what, to me, is clearly the wrong side of this issue."

A Washington Post-ABC News poll conducted September 27-30 found 72 percent of those surveyed support an increase in spending on the program, with 25 percent opposed. The poll's margin of error was 3 percentage points.

No conservative who agrees with Bush on SCHIP was given room for his or her talking point on controlling spending or preventing more federal control of health care.

What's more, at no point in CNN's brief online article is there a mention of President Bush's support for a $5 billion increase (over five years) in funding for the health care initiative. According to the White House's official Web site, President Bush favors a boost to SCHIP amounts to a roughly 20 percent boost in SCHIP spending, while the seven-times-larger Democratic plan would amount to a whopping 140 percent increase.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/ken-sh...e-bush-veto-omits-presidents-call-boost-schip

trillions for a counterproductive war in Iraq...fuck the kids!

that veto is going to get us a veto-proof congress.....not that we'll need it with a democratic landslide for president! LOL

Bravo Pres Bush. This is a waste of money and takes the first step towards Hillary Care

The Dems are now in full meltdown and tossing out the hate filled one liners

WASHINGTON — President Bush on Wednesday vetoed a five-year, $35 billion expansion of the current State Children's Health Insurance Program, arguing the new program offers government-run health care to too many Americans who don't need it.

Democrats are confident they have a winning issue and are working hard to find enough votes in the House to override the veto. The Senate already has enough votes to override.

"Today the president showed the nation his true priorities: $700 billion for a war in Iraq, but no health care for low-income kids; $50 billion in subsidies for huge oil companies; but no health care for low-income kids; $8 billion lost to waste, fraud, abuse, and no-bid contracts in Iraq, but no health care for low-income kids," said Rep. Rahm Emanuel, D-Ill.

"Millions of American children and their families won't forget that they are on the bottom of the president's priority list," Emanuel said.

"President Bush is a one-man axis of evil," said Rep. Pete Stark, D-Calif. "If this is ‘compassionate conservativism,’ what is cruel and unusual punishment?"

Family health care coverage can cost more than $1,000 a month, and Democrats say they have the public on their side.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,299129,00.html

This should be worth about a 5 seat pickup for Dems in the house, just on this issue alone.

This should be worth about a 5 seat pickup for Dems in the house, just on this issue alone.

exactly. Bush asks for $190B for a war that the vast majority of americans think is a terrible mistake, and he vetoes a few billion for children here.

It is like manna from heaven!

That's a lie you must have read on limbaugh's website.

Bush got that $80,000 figure, from a request New York state made, which was already rejected.

The Bill in its current form would allow a family of four, making $60,00 or less, to buy private health insurance. And it wouldn't be welfare, the families would have to pay for part of it out of their own pocket, depending on various guidelines.

At any rate, anyone who wanted to spend a trillion dollars on iraq, has no room to talk about a few billion for american children's healthcare.

exactly. Bush asks for $190B for a war that the vast majority of americans think is a terrible mistake, and he vetoes a few billion for children here.

It is like manna from heaven!

last time i checked 18-25 year olds are not children.

If you are so damn concerned about the children, why do you have to lie about what the bill does rather than just supporting the actual children?

If Dems get their way, one out of three children will be moved out of private insurance into government coverage

The number one goal for Dems is to get as many people as possible dependent on government - and the producers pay the bill

last time i checked 18-25 year olds are not children.

If you are so damn concerned about the children, why do you have to lie about what the bill does rather than just supporting the actual children?

how am I "lying about what the bill does"? Does the bill NOT provide expanded medical insurance coverage for children, allowing more children to be covered?

and I have already done a really bang up job supporting three actual children, thank you.

how am I "lying about what the bill does"? Does the bill NOT provide expanded medical insurance coverage for children, allowing more children to be covered?

and I have already done a really bang up job supporting three actual children, thank you.

Oh ny kleaving out how 25 yeard olds would be covered, people 3 to 4 times above the poverty level would be included, and how many kids would be taken off private insurance and given taxpayer paid government insurance

Forum List

Back