President Supports Assault Weapon Ban

"I do not believe in taking away the right of the citizen for sporting, for hunting and so forth, or for home defense," he said. "But I do believe that an AK-47, a machine gun, is not a sporting weapon or needed for defense of a home."

Great observation by a great president

Assault rifles are already effectively banned. Yes, you can own one but the legal hoops one must jump through make it highly unlikely that even a potential criminal would be able to obtain one.

You understand that a semi automatic weapon is not an assault weapon ,yes?

"I do not believe in taking away the right of the citizen for sporting, for hunting and so forth, or for home defense," he said. "But I do believe that an AK-47, a machine gun, is not a sporting weapon or needed for defense of a home."

ANother fucking gotcha thread by the board's chief liar. And Reagan was probably talking about closing the machine gun registry, not a ban like the Clinton era Assault Weapons Ban.

SO looks like a double failure for Nutjobber.

Reagan supported the Assault Weapons Ban

That is where the quote came from

Since when has Ron Reagan been a progressive shitbag liberal?

If he said those things about that rifle then, on that point he is acting like an irrational progressive and should have been talked to about using rational thought about that one topic...

You know rightwinger, you're being a bit of a troll this morning. The title of your thread, and the quote you put up, have nothing to do with each other. On top of that, you didn't source your quote, hoping to play, "gotcha" on the conservative members.

You see, what that law was about, was, FULLY AUTOMATIC MACHINE GUNS.

NOT ASSAULT WEAPONS.

It wasn't about the current "assault weapon," debate. That debate is now over. Let it go. And to be quite honest, the definition of the "assault weapon," that they currently want to restrict is anything that is semi-automatic. Which is, well, just about any gun on the market.

The globalists, which means every person on the planet that isn't American, would love for Americans to not have their guns. Well, it isn't going to happen. They'll have to invade first.

So quit being a douche.

If Reagan were here, he wouldn't give you the time of day.
Reagan would be asleep if he were here today...

Moonglow : you can buy full auto [class 3] in certain states if you pay the fee and pass the background check . Full auto is pretty rare because as example a regular run of the mill ar15 semi auto will cost about a thousand dollars , A full auto ar15 will cost at least 10 thousand and needs to have been made before 1983 I Think it is . Newly made full auto firearms are only available to government agencies . Think I am accurate !! Full auto are mainly bought as an investment by collectors and they gain value because they are not currently made to be bought and sold by regular gun buyers .

ANother fucking gotcha thread by the board's chief liar. And Reagan was probably talking about closing the machine gun registry, not a ban like the Clinton era Assault Weapons Ban.

But you idiots fall for it every time!!!

You can easily do a search of the quote to make it look like you have some substance to your retorts...

May 3, 1994

To Members of the U.S. House of Representatives: We are writing to urge your support for a ban on the domestic manufacture of military-style assault weapons. This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety. Although assualt weapons account for less than 1% of the guns in circulation, they account for nearly 10% of the guns traced to crime.

Every major law enforcement organization in America and dozens of leading labor, medical, religious, civil rights and civic groups support such a ban. Most importantly, poll after poll shows that the American public overwhelmingly support a ban on assault weapons. A 1993 CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll found that 77% of Americans support a ban on the manufacture, sale, and possession of semi-automatic assault guns, such as the AK-47.

The 1989 import ban resulted in an impressive 40% drop in imported assault weapons traced to crime between 1989 and 1991, but the killing continues. Last year, a killer armed with two TEC9s killed eight people at a San Francisco law firm and wounded several others. During the past five years, more than 40 law enforcement officers have been killed or wounded in the line of duty by an assault weapon.

While we recognize that assault weapon legislation will not stop all assault weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals. We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons.

Sincerely,

Gerald R. Ford

Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan
Read more at snopes.com Ronald Reagan on AK-47s

You know rightwinger, you're being a bit of a troll this morning. The title of your thread, and the quote you put up, have nothing to do with each other. On top of that, you didn't source your quote, hoping to play, "gotcha" on the conservative members.

NOT ASSAULT WEAPONS.

It wasn't about the current "assault weapon," debate. That debate is now over. Let it go. And to be quite honest, the definition of the "assault weapon," that they currently want to restrict is anything that is semi-automatic. Which is, well, just about any gun on the market.

The globalists, which means every person on the planet that isn't American, would love for Americans to not have their guns. Well, it isn't going to happen. They'll have to invade first.

So quit being a douche.

fully automatic weapons and assault weapons are the same damn thing.

Moonglow : you can buy full auto [class 3] in certain states if you pay the fee and pass the background check . Full auto is pretty rare because as example a regular run of the mill ar15 semi auto will cost about a thousand dollars , A full auto ar15 will cost at least 10 thousand and needs to have been made before 1983 I Think it is . Newly made full auto firearms are only available to government agencies . Think I am accurate !! Full auto are mainly bought as an investment by collectors and they gain value because they are not currently made to be bought and sold by regular gun buyers .
Class 9 licensed dealers can sell fully auto...a 50 mil. machine gun is around 15K. If I ever win the lottery. I plan on getting one or two...

If he said those things about that rifle then, on that point he is acting like an irrational progressive and should have been talked to about using rational thought about that one topic...

The guy took a bullet in an assaination attempt

He had a dog in the fight

NOT ASSAULT WEAPONS.

So quit being a douche.

And if not, filing a certain component will make it fire faster...

May 3, 1994

To Members of the U.S. House of Representatives: We are writing to urge your support for a ban on the domestic manufacture of military-style assault weapons. This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety. Although assualt weapons account for less than 1% of the guns in circulation, they account for nearly 10% of the guns traced to crime.

Every major law enforcement organization in America and dozens of leading labor, medical, religious, civil rights and civic groups support such a ban. Most importantly, poll after poll shows that the American public overwhelmingly support a ban on assault weapons. A 1993 CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll found that 77% of Americans support a ban on the manufacture, sale, and possession of semi-automatic assault guns, such as the AK-47.

The 1989 import ban resulted in an impressive 40% drop in imported assault weapons traced to crime between 1989 and 1991, but the killing continues. Last year, a killer armed with two TEC9s killed eight people at a San Francisco law firm and wounded several others. During the past five years, more than 40 law enforcement officers have been killed or wounded in the line of duty by an assault weapon.

While we recognize that assault weapon legislation will not stop all assault weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals. We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons.

Sincerely,

Gerald R. Ford

Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan

Let's examine this letter

First of all they call for a ban on semi automatic assault weapons. Semi autos are NOT assault weapons, At MINIMUM a weapon must be capable of firing multi burst rounds (such as the 3 round per pull M16) to qualify as an assault weapon as per EVERY major military in the world.

Second of all, they then go on to talk about a crime committed with two TEC9s which are fully automatic machine pistols, and already illegal.

The guy took a bullet in an assaination attempt

He had a dog in the fight

Yes, it makes perfect sense to ban automatic weapons when one gets shot with a revolver.

NOT ASSAULT WEAPONS.

So quit being a douche.

Actually, what I said is not fully true. I misworded

Not all fully automatic weapons are assault weapons , but ALL assault weapons are fully automatic (at least capable of a 3 round burst from one pull of the trigger) Semi automatic weapons are NOT assault weapons.

NOT ASSAULT WEAPONS.

So quit being a douche.

Not all fully automatic weapons are assault weapons , but ALL assault weapons are fully automatic (at least capable of a 3 round burst from one pull of the trigger) Semi automatic weapons are NOT assault weapons.

I just want an over under grenade launcher and 30 cal rifle...

May 3, 1994

Sincerely,

Gerald R. Ford

Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan
By 94 Reagab was well into Alzheimers.
And he still would have made a president than this one.

NOT ASSAULT WEAPONS.

So quit being a douche.

I just want an over under grenade launcher and 30 cal rifle...

I'll take a SAW249 for home defense please.

Doesn't he know that "machine guns" are already banned except with a special permit?

We have a moron for President.

The President was correct in what he said and he was not a moron

Naturally you would say that. You are the type of moron that believes every word he utters.

Doesn't he know that "machine guns" are already banned except with a special permit?

We have a moron for President.

The President was correct in what he said and he was not a moron

Naturally you would say that. You are the type of moron that believes every word he utters.

Why wouldn't I believe what Reagan said?

Forum List

Back