Prayer

onecut39

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2008
It’s great to be on a message board. Here we can take arguments that have been going on for thousands of years, where everything that can be said has been said and treat it as a brand new topic.

Let’s take the the problem of a loving God in an evil world.

In the old days this was not a problem, gods were more or less extensions of the human condition. There were thousands of them, god of this, god of that. They could be helpful but were just as likely, if not more so, to be indifferent or downright hostile.

Folks made their offerings, burned their incense or sacrificed their virgins knowing full well that their god might not listen or would listen to this group but not that. Fishermen went to sea. Some got good catches, some not, and some just may have gotten drowned.

This was simply taken that the gods favored some and not others. The fishermen mulled it over perhaps adjusting their offering or prayers in the hope that they would become the favored ones. Gods were expected to be, shall we say, less than nice, and never fair but you kept on plugging and maybe you would get lucky.

With the advent of the loving, all-powerful, all knowing single god this became a problem. There was evil in the world. God was love and powerful enough to do anything. Something was amiss.

There was some explaining to do.

First there had to be a fall guy. Lucifer, Satan, or just the plain Devil filled this role. He would become the personification of evil. The fact that God created him and could simply destroy him also needed to be explained away. To my knowledge it never has been.

All kinds of excuses came to hand. Man was created perfect they say but the devil made them eat of the tree of knowledge, leaving out how such a situation could exist in a perfectly created world. Man could not know good without knowing evil they say, leaving out why it is so necessary to know evil and pain. Man has a sinful nature they say and the devil is here to exploit that nature, again leaving out why such a nature was created in man.

Anyway the devil gets the blame for all the bad things and god the credit for all the good. Sounds like the managerial setup in a modern corporation.

I never have discovered why God could not do the dirty work himself, why he could not do the testing and sorting of of the sinners. He is, after all having no problem casting us into the burning fires of Hell. I see that it might just be a huge PR problem but I see no difference in the final result.

The old saying has it that the rain falls on both the just and the unjust. Surely this would be a problem as there seems to be a matter of fairness here. Something had to be done.

This was fairly simple. Just divorce God for the consequences of storms natural disasters, disease, droughts and so forth. We used to call these “acts of God” but god is no longer held responsible. That was a bit of a problem, kind of illogical, so the preferred phrase is now “natural disaster”.

God is merciful, God is good and if that is so then God should be available to help those in need. Presto! We get prayer. Pray and you will receive. Ask and it will be given. Except it is not. The success ratio of answered prayer is dismal. It has become a truism that nothing fails like prayer.

First this failure rate was ascribed to a lack of faith, true faith that is because God would surely respond to the truly faithful. Unfortunately it became glaringly obvious, as those of untarnished belief were no more successful than the obviously unfaithful. Then too there were the disasters to those who could be nothing but innocent, like small children. That will bring us to the final cop out.

Man was given free will they say because it was necessary for us to appreciate the nature of good and evil. Each of us has the ability and responsibility to plot our own course, for good or bad and that is the end of that. God will not force us to be good, nor restrain us from being bad.

The sad fact is that this is the final and complete nullification of prayer. If someone chooses to do me evil it is because he has free will to do so. If he chooses to run the red light and T bone me it was his free choice and prayer becomes innefective, banned actually. It is illogical to ask for deliverance from actions that the lord had deemed sancrosact.

So where does that leave us? We can’t pray for relief from natural disasters. Had god wanted us to be saved he would not have made the disaster and he has been relieved of even that responsibility by modern doctrine. We are now stuck with the problems of disease, famine, drought, storms volcanic eruptions etc. Not God’s fault, Not God’s problem. It is yours.

Since almost anything else bad that happens to us will be the result of our, or someone else’s free will, we can not now be saved from anything be it a traffic accident to being murdered. That’s the way the game has been set up.

So what can you pray for?

For the life of me I can see only one thing. You may pray for the strength to endure all the disasters that God either sets upon you or fails to prevent. It is almost a given that you will endure to some extent. If you endure well God will be given the credit, if you do not you will be judged a weakling, or worse, unworthy.

Makes you wonder if it is worth all the effort.

We didn't manufacture one God. He manufactured us. We can't even figure out how to use 80% of the brain He gave us, so it takes us awhile to catch up to what He is capable of.
We don't need free will to understand the nature of evil, we need it to choose for ourselves wether or not we want to follow evil.
Instead of Creator, think Father. No. Think Daddy, because adores you. He has a perfect plan for you, a perfect mate, perfect occupation...... we just never ask. Instead we wait till we are in a jam, then evoke His name, and give Him our wish list to carry out without out even realizing that unless we are repentant of our inhumane actions, He can't hear a word we say. Not one word. Then we blame him when we don't get our three wishes.
Prayer has a lot of functions. For one, it keeps evil away. Good and evil cannot preside in the same body at the same time. Darkness has no choice but to flee in the presence of light.
And understand that what may seem unfair or bad to us is not necessarily bad or unfair. He may let you hit rock bottom, so you'll finally call on Him once you have failed on your own.
Unfair to you may be riding down the road singing hymns, and getting t-boned and dying before they can get you out of the car. The truth is that your last breath here on earth is your first breath in a Paradise we can't even begin to picture! Death may seem unfair to you, but it has no impact on God whatsoever. All he cares about is the condition of your soul at the time of your death, and that is where our fee will determines the outcome. If you chose to follow Him, then your coronation awaits. You are a child of the creator of the universe. You are royality now and from that point on.
Consider life on earth as a mere training camp to determine where and how you will spend the rest of your ceaseless life, then choose which father you want to spend it with.

Pray for everything! strength, wisdom, compassion, help in running the good race, for others...
If you break down the Lord's Prayer it is meant to be a process, not to parrot.
P-praise His name to let him know that YOU know who you are calling upon.
R- repent.< it means return to the highest level (penthouse) Without this step, He can't hear one word you say.
A- ask anything for anybody.<intercession (Christ's position right now in Heaven. He is still saying, "forgive them they know not what they do".)
Y-ask God's will for yourself and whatever else you need to talk to Him about.
And then take a moment to listen to what He has to say.
I hope that helps answer your prayer question.

Pray for everything! strength, wisdom, compassion, help in running the good race, for others...
R- repent.< it means return to the highest level (penthouse) Without this step, He can't hear one word you say.
A- ask anything for anybody.<intercession (Christ's position right now in Heaven. He is still saying, "forgive them they know not what they do".)

That's a nice little PR piece. Would make a good 30 second ad but you answer nothing.

I would like to see you address the abysmal success rate for prayer. And remember no "natural disasters" or any "free will" prayers will be considered.

It&#8217;s great to be on a message board. Here we can take arguments that have been going on for thousands of years, where everything that can be said has been said and treat it as a brand new topic.

Let&#8217;s take the the problem of a loving God in an evil world.

In the old days this was not a problem, gods were more or less extensions of the human condition. There were thousands of them, god of this, god of that. They could be helpful but were just as likely, if not more so, to be indifferent or downright hostile.

Folks made their offerings, burned their incense or sacrificed their virgins knowing full well that their god might not listen or would listen to this group but not that. Fishermen went to sea. Some got good catches, some not, and some just may have gotten drowned.

This was simply taken that the gods favored some and not others. The fishermen mulled it over perhaps adjusting their offering or prayers in the hope that they would become the favored ones. Gods were expected to be, shall we say, less than nice, and never fair but you kept on plugging and maybe you would get lucky.

With the advent of the loving, all-powerful, all knowing single god this became a problem. There was evil in the world. God was love and powerful enough to do anything. Something was amiss.

First there had to be a fall guy. Lucifer, Satan, or just the plain Devil filled this role. He would become the personification of evil. The fact that God created him and could simply destroy him also needed to be explained away. To my knowledge it never has been.

All kinds of excuses came to hand. Man was created perfect they say but the devil made them eat of the tree of knowledge, leaving out how such a situation could exist in a perfectly created world. Man could not know good without knowing evil they say, leaving out why it is so necessary to know evil and pain. Man has a sinful nature they say and the devil is here to exploit that nature, again leaving out why such a nature was created in man.

Anyway the devil gets the blame for all the bad things and god the credit for all the good. Sounds like the managerial setup in a modern corporation.

I never have discovered why God could not do the dirty work himself, why he could not do the testing and sorting of of the sinners. He is, after all having no problem casting us into the burning fires of Hell. I see that it might just be a huge PR problem but I see no difference in the final result.

The old saying has it that the rain falls on both the just and the unjust. Surely this would be a problem as there seems to be a matter of fairness here. Something had to be done.

This was fairly simple. Just divorce God for the consequences of storms natural disasters, disease, droughts and so forth. We used to call these &#8220;acts of God&#8221; but god is no longer held responsible. That was a bit of a problem, kind of illogical, so the preferred phrase is now &#8220;natural disaster&#8221;.

God is merciful, God is good and if that is so then God should be available to help those in need. Presto! We get prayer. Pray and you will receive. Ask and it will be given. Except it is not. The success ratio of answered prayer is dismal. It has become a truism that nothing fails like prayer.

First this failure rate was ascribed to a lack of faith, true faith that is because God would surely respond to the truly faithful. Unfortunately it became glaringly obvious, as those of untarnished belief were no more successful than the obviously unfaithful. Then too there were the disasters to those who could be nothing but innocent, like small children. That will bring us to the final cop out.

Man was given free will they say because it was necessary for us to appreciate the nature of good and evil. Each of us has the ability and responsibility to plot our own course, for good or bad and that is the end of that. God will not force us to be good, nor restrain us from being bad.

The sad fact is that this is the final and complete nullification of prayer. If someone chooses to do me evil it is because he has free will to do so. If he chooses to run the red light and T bone me it was his free choice and prayer becomes innefective, banned actually. It is illogical to ask for deliverance from actions that the lord had deemed sancrosact.

So where does that leave us? We can&#8217;t pray for relief from natural disasters. Had god wanted us to be saved he would not have made the disaster and he has been relieved of even that responsibility by modern doctrine. We are now stuck with the problems of disease, famine, drought, storms volcanic eruptions etc. Not God&#8217;s fault, Not God&#8217;s problem. It is yours.

Since almost anything else bad that happens to us will be the result of our, or someone else&#8217;s free will, we can not now be saved from anything be it a traffic accident to being murdered. That&#8217;s the way the game has been set up.

For the life of me I can see only one thing. You may pray for the strength to endure all the disasters that God either sets upon you or fails to prevent. It is almost a given that you will endure to some extent. If you endure well God will be given the credit, if you do not you will be judged a weakling, or worse, unworthy.

Jesus Christ said we can pray for this:

Matthew 6-7-14

7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

11 Give us this day our daily bread.

12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

Do you have everything you need? You got food? You got forgiveness? Are you lead into temptation or are you under some sort of evil? The daily bread can also be a metaphor for God's Word. We have God's Word all around us; He has provided it for us for sure if we are using the internet; it's all online now.

It’s great to be on a message board. Here we can take arguments that have been going on for thousands of years, where everything that can be said has been said and treat it as a brand new topic.

Let’s take the the problem of a loving God in an evil world.

This was fairly simple. Just divorce God for the consequences of storms natural disasters, disease, droughts and so forth. We used to call these “acts of God” but god is no longer held responsible. That was a bit of a problem, kind of illogical, so the preferred phrase is now “natural disaster”.

So where does that leave us? We can’t pray for relief from natural disasters. Had god wanted us to be saved he would not have made the disaster and he has been relieved of even that responsibility by modern doctrine. We are now stuck with the problems of disease, famine, drought, storms volcanic eruptions etc. Not God’s fault, Not God’s problem. It is yours.

Since almost anything else bad that happens to us will be the result of our, or someone else’s free will, we can not now be saved from anything be it a traffic accident to being murdered. That’s the way the game has been set up.

Jesus Christ said we can pray for this:

Matthew 6-7-14

7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

11 Give us this day our daily bread.

12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

Do you have everything you need? You got food? You got forgiveness? Are you lead into temptation or are you under some sort of evil? The daily bread can also be a metaphor for God's Word. We have God's Word all around us; He has provided it for us for sure if we are using the internet; it's all online now.

You can pray for anything you want. Having those prayers answered is a totally different thing.

That's a nice little PR piece. Would make a good 30 second ad but you answer nothing.

I would like to see you address the abysmal success rate for prayer. And remember no "natural disasters" or any "free will" prayers will be considered.

James 2
14 What good is it, my brothers, if
someone says he has faith but does
not have works? Can that faith save
him? 15 If a brother or sister is
poorly clothed and lacking in daily
food, 16 and one of you says to
them, “Go in peace, be warmed and
filled,” without giving them the
things needed for the body, what
good is that? 17 So also faith by
itself, if it does not have works, is
dead. 8 But someone will say, “You have
faith and I have works.” Show me
your faith apart from your works,
and I will show you my faith by my
works.

Prayer is for the pray - er, not for the Prayee.
If God is God, God already knows all, so what are you telling God?
If God is God, all is from God and all is God, so what can you give God?
If God is other than this, God is not God.
If God does not exist, there is no problem of praying or not.

Most people's concept of God is no more sophisticated than a concept of Santa Claus. You can think of God as 'Dad', and it is no insult to God. If God is all, God is great, small, wide, narrow, dad, mom....
But thinking of God as 'Dad' does not make God 'Dad'. It does reflect a very limited concept. Any definition of God, if God exists, is an attempt to reduce God to human understanding.

Religions are essentially blasphemy because they teach limited concepts of deity. Worse, they preach separation from God, which by definition cannot be. They distribute neat but trite sayings that comfort our weakest inclinations and maintain us in ignorance and submission.

And, again, if God does not exist, all this religious b.s. is only....b.s.

James 2
works.

?????????????????????????????///

Pray the way you are suppose to and you'll get the correct response every single time.
Say this, and remove all doubt about what your asking for, actually being what is in your best interest:
"Thy, not my, will be done."

James 2
works.

?????????????????????????????///

God is love and love is an action. A person can feel the emotion of love but warm fuzzy feelings wont keep your spouse at home or help you raise healthy, well balanced children. Its like that with God. It is a life of service to others that is a true indication of a close relationship with God. And yes, there is separation from God, it's called sin.

Pray the way you are suppose to and you'll get the correct response every single time.
Say this, and remove all doubt about what your asking for, actually being what is in your best interest:

Ah, so it is all in the method? I like it when the prayer is ignored but it is "all for your best interest". You pray, you get nothing, but it is all in your best interest.

As usual God gets credit even when nothing is done.

How can I get a gig like that?

No prayer is ignored.

"At that time Jesus prayed this prayer: "O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank you for hiding these things from those who think themselves wise and clever, and for revealing them to the childlike." Matt 11:25

Ah, so it is all in the method? I like it when the prayer is ignored but it is "all for your best interest". You pray, you get nothing, but it is all in your best interest.

You under estimate your father. He has 3 answers, yes, no, and when the time is right.
And yes it is methodical. Like I said, if you pray without wanting, and asking for forgiveness for the nasty things you've done, He can't hear you. It isn't his fault, it's ours. He gave us the blueprint, we choose to ignore it.
You may pray to win the lottery and think that God has let you down because you didn't win. And that's not fair, because you would have been so philanthropic with your winnings. :) But since God can see the end from the beginning, he knows that one of the people you shared your wealth with will let his "gift" go to his head, and buy a fancy car, a bunch of meth, and kill himself. So, God didn't ignore your request. He said,"no."

No prayer is ignored.

"At that time Jesus prayed this prayer: "O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank you for hiding these things from those who think themselves wise and clever, and for revealing them to the childlike." Matt 11:25

I have seen it happen many times.

You under estimate your father. He has 3 answers, yes, no, and when the time is right.
And yes it is methodical. Like I said, if you pray without wanting, and asking for forgiveness for the nasty things you've done, He can't hear you. It isn't his fault, it's ours. He gave us the blueprint, we choose to ignore it.
You may pray to win the lottery and think that God has let you down because you didn't win. And that's not fair, because you would have been so philanthropic with your winnings. :) But since God can see the end from the beginning, he knows that one of the people you shared your wealth with will let his "gift" go to his head, and buy a fancy car, a bunch of meth, and kill himself. So, God didn't ignore your request. He said,"no."

There are far many more answers than 3.

And to answer the question, pray to the Lord that you can know Him. Ask and ye shall recieve, Seek and ye shall find, knock and it shall be given unto you.

These arent idle promises. They are the key to understanding the Universe.

I love it. All prayers are answered it is just that they are all answered "no"?

All I can say is God has the greatest gig in the universe. Praise be to god who will answer all your prayers. Too bad the answer is universally "NO"..

Forum List

Back