PPACA was written by insurance for insurance

Wellpoint stock is up 300% since PPACA became law.
z

[YouTube]hZ5tj4cN9Jk[/YouTube]

Last edited:
But you get the point, right? Insurance lobbyists aren't idiots.

Well seeing as how the law is currently imploding on itself, I beg to differ. :)

It's seems to be chugging along. How is it imploding, exactly?

Did you see the HHS website on Monday? Yesterday? Today? Were you in la-la land when Obama delayed the employer mandate? Do you know how many businesses are laying people off or cutting hours because of this thing? Have you noticed how many insurance companies have withdrawn from the exchanges? Did you see how the AFL-CIO and other unions across the country have reacted to this?

Last edited:
Well seeing as how the law is currently imploding on itself, I beg to differ. :)

Did you see the HHS website on Monday? Yesterday? Today? Were you in la-la land when Obama delayed the employer mandate? Do you know how many business are laying people off or cutting hours because of this thing? Have you noticed how many insurance companies have withdrawn from the exchanges? Have you seen how the AFL-CIO and other unions across the country have reacted to this?

Yes, but the law is still in place. The Democrats aren't budging. The economy, the citizens, the nation be damned - they're going to force us into this shit.

I hope you like hell you're right, and it all comes apart. But I suspect they'll whether the storm and we'll be saddled with a few huge insurance corporations milking us dry as defacto public utilities (run for private profit).

Mike Bauccus helped develop this atrocity, helped write it, pronounced it a train wreck, disavowed the whole thing and refused to run for reelection having his name attached to this abortion.

Isn't that somewhat of a clue?

Actually, I don't think it has ever been figured out who wrote the initial draft of the bill. Who sponsored it, yes, but not who put pen to paper in the first place.[/QUOTE

Liz Fowler of WellPoint wrote the original 87 page draft! It's in the op.

87 pages? Just how did it turn into a 2,700 page monstrosity? At any rate, I guess the insurance industry has a death wish...

Well you know how it works. 87 pages was the basis, the foundation, blueprint. Then after all the committees, all the legislators get their hands on it, further insurance company consultations and links to existing laws and policies, things tend to grow. I can tell you this, I own a medical billing company, although this just kicked in for the average guy, the doctors and insurance companies have been implementing aspects of it for a couple years. While there are aspects of the PPACA that will be improvements for the insured, there are things that will be degenerate.

Just to focus on one big one. Older doctors most often are not computer savvy and they do NOT like the EMR (Electronic Medical records) some few have and will continue to conform, but many will not. If they remain paper charts and hand written notes, they are penalised 1-2% to begin with and that rate rises. I have doctors that are paying it but no telling how high they will be willing to go. So, already I have had doctors retire early and my colleagues have informed me of the same. Not just for the EMR but a lot of intrusive regulations and changes are prompting that. So we are going to increasingly see older doctors retire early over the frustration of trying to practice medicine and keep up with the changes. That equates to a loss of the experienced doctors, the ones you and I want to go to when we need surgery.

Another trend already happening is doctors, unable to retire for whatever reason going to work for hospitals. You will NOT receive the same quality care from a salaried hospital doctor that you will from a private practice doctor. Some doctors are working less and installing NP's and PA's in their clinics. You will NOT get the same care from them that you will an MD!

Yet another trend is new doctors going straight to work for hospitals. And we're seeing insurance companies buying up hospitals.

Those are things that will NOT be an improvement to access and quality. And there's plenty more negatives but this post is long enough now. Point being, it remains to be seen whether the positives of PPACA outweigh the negatives. That is FAR from determined no matter what anybody says. This is a monstrosity with huge changes being implemented and it is a chore for me to keep doctors abreast of the newest regulations that are coming weekly and I swear, that is not an exaggeration. Doctors want to practice medicine, not be CPA's and attorneys. The penalties for violations are staggering and scaring and pissing off my doctors and that is the truth.

Honestly, whether PPACA is going to be a plus for Americans is yet to be determined! It will certainly be a plus for the insurance industry though.

Last edited:
Wellpoint stock is up 300% since PPACA became law.
z

[YouTube]hZ5tj4cN9Jk[/YouTube]

I have maintained from the beginning that the PPACA will certainly be a boon for insurance, for Americans, well that remains to be seen. That is NOT a given.

You know, I've been saying this for 4 years now, but everyone keeps claiming that the ACA is a secret plan to bankrupt Insurance companies and lead to single-payer.

I think it's more along the line of the fact that it is giving extra life to the insurance industry before we have to bite the bullet and go to single payer.

Here's the underlying problem. Insurance, at the end of the day is gambling. You are placing a bet that if you get sick, you get the payout. If you don't get seriously sick, you lose the money (or your employer does).

And the fact that we do this through employer pools is a large part of the problem. If our employers just gave us the equivlent to what they pay on our behalfs and we all went to the private market, it would collapse faster. Young people wouldn't buy insurnace or would buy minimum insurance, while older folks like me probably couldn't get insurance without paying through the nose for it.

Did you see the HHS website on Monday? Yesterday? Today? Were you in la-la land when Obama delayed the employer mandate? Do you know how many business are laying people off or cutting hours because of this thing? Have you noticed how many insurance companies have withdrawn from the exchanges? Have you seen how the AFL-CIO and other unions across the country have reacted to this?

Yes, but the law is still in place. The Democrats aren't budging. The economy, the citizens, the nation be damned - they're going to force us into this shit.

I hope you like hell you're right, and it all comes apart. But I suspect they'll whether the storm and we'll be saddled with a few huge insurance corporations milking us dry as defacto public utilities (run for private profit).

Exactly. It's not designed to destroy the insurance industry. It's designed to consolidate the competition and turn the remaining top few into for profit "nationalized" utilities for public healthcare. That's going to take some time, but just the way the law was written, it screams that the goal was to do just that.

Of course, it was. As it USUALLY happens, the lying dimocraps sold out Americans to the big corporations, which ALWAYS benefit the most from dimocrap administrations and from dimocrap policies.

Exactly. It's not designed to destroy the insurance industry. It's designed to consolidate the competition and turn the remaining top few into for profit "nationalized" utilities for public healthcare. That's going to take some time, but just the way the law was written, it screams that the goal was to do just that.

It's designed to eliminate the competition & back big business just like any regulation from congress over the past 40 years. This law withholds Medicare & Medicaid payments from new upstarts, but pays big business A.S.A.P. It imposes massive regs on small practice who can't afford a dedicated compliance officer. This is forcing small practice to join massive healthcare groups eliminating competition.

ACA is NOT going to be a good thing in the long run.

You'll see...the insurance companies are lovin' it.

It's designed to eliminate the competition & back big business just like any regulation from congress over the past 40 years. This law withholds Medicare & Medicaid payments from new upstarts, but pays big business A.S.A.P. It imposes massive regs on small practice who can't afford a dedicated compliance officer. This is forcing small practice to join massive healthcare groups eliminating competition.

Democrats, contrary to their assertions, love corporatism. As long as it is them conducting such "transactions". Lately, they make republicans actually look honest and decent.

Yep. Two very detailed examples of why in post 25

Yes I noted those and was impressed that you gave us some detailed examples of how this law was written ENTIRELY for the benefit of the HC INSURANCE industry.

Obama betrayed his constitutents when he abandoned single payer HC.

He knew he was going to do that long before he took office, I suspect.

American workers got NOBODY working on their behalf.

Yep. Two very detailed examples of why in post 25

Yes I noted those and was impressed that you gave us some detailed examples of how this law was written ENTIRELY for the benefit of the HC INSURANCE industry.

Obama betrayed his constitutents when he abandoned single payer HC.

He knew he was going to do that long before he took office, I suspect.

American workers got NOBODY working on their behalf.

Yes, that's exactly right, remember he never really even had it on the table to begin with as a bargaining point. We didn't even get to start from there. Many of us, perhaps you too were very upset at the time because of that.

Forum List

Back