Powerful tornado strikes China; At least 78 reportedly dead

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
At least 78 people died Thursday after a powerful tornado, hailstorms and heavy rain slammed into eastern China, turning buildings into rubble, crushing trees and leaving many homeless, according to various reports.

In addition to the dead, at least 500 people suffered injuries -- 200 of them critical -- the Xinhua news agency reported after the weather barreled through Yancheng City in China's Jiangsu province on Thursday afternoon. Hundreds of villagers were trapped in rubble, according to Xinhua.

"I heard the gales and ran upstairs to shut the windows," area resident Xie Litian, 62, told Xinhua. "I had hardly reached the top of the stairs when I heard a boom and saw the entire wall with the windows on it torn away."

The roof then collapsed as he raced downstairs, Xie said. After sheltering in a corner for 20 minutes, he emerged to find the neighborhood transformed into a wasteland. "It was like the end of the world," he said.

The affected area is about 500 miles south of Beijing.

Video from the disaster showed scenes of children being carried on the back of mopeds, broken trees and overturned cars, the BBC reported.
Powerful tornado strikes China; 78 reportedly dead

You can see some of the damage here:
Devastating tornado kills 51 people in China after it rips through homes

It's tragic.

Forum List

Back