Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Mentioning my own in another thread just now, and how I've sought and gotten counselling for it for my reactions to 9/11, the thought occured to mention here that PTSD can be aquired 'remotely.' Like me, there's doubtlessly many Americans and non-Americans abroad who have some PTSD issues because of terrorist attacks. If a jet flying overhead makes you nervous, or you stop whatever you're doing everytime something like a gunshot is heard, talk to someone. Talking it out and through helps, it really does.

Reacting to stress isn't about being a man or tough, we're biologically programmed to react certain ways to certain things. When someting traumatic happens, we react. And sometimes the reaction is a pronounced memory in our minds which doesn't subside so easily like others. But ignoring it and storing it up only makes it worse. Facing it headon and talking about it with someone helps to mitigate its effects.

Mentioning my own in another thread just now, and how I've sought and gotten counselling for it for my reactions to 9/11, the thought occured to mention here that PTSD can be aquired 'remotely.' Like me, there's doubtlessly many Americans and non-Americans abroad who have some PTSD issues because of terrorist attacks. If a jet flying overhead makes you nervous, or you stop whatever you're doing everytime something like a gunshot is heard, talk to someone. Talking it out and through helps, it really does.

Reacting to stress isn't about being a man or tough, we're biologically programmed to react certain ways to certain things. When someting traumatic happens, we react. And sometimes the reaction is a pronounced memory in our minds which doesn't subside so easily like others. But ignoring it and storing it up only makes it worse. Facing it headon and talking about it with someone helps to mitigate its effects.

Well lots of people get PTSD as some incidents in their life caused their neuro system to go into overdrive so if that event happens again or even if one perceives that it might , they get stressed out again, or some people get continually locked into the situation with just few lapses of reality, this was known once as shell shock from the Vietnam war (now know as PTSD). We are all affected differently by things so its nothing to be embarrassed about, and yes its good to be able to let it out by talking to someone who knows about it. I image a lot of people got PTSD from the 911 event. PTSD can have may degrees as well.

PTSD over 911??? Don't let the propaganda mindrape you! Use sheer force of Will to get over it and put that shit behind you!

Nobody knows why he has PTSD but automatically ASSume. Anyone think maybe he was IN or NEAR one of those towers? Or a loved one DIED?
Geez.

PTSD over 911??? Don't let the propaganda mindrape you! Use sheer force of Will to get over it and put that shit behind you!

You got it right, Over Whelming Forces. Bush #1 Dessert Storm: He gave General Powell the power to conduct Dessert Storm and Powell gave General Schwarzkopf the leeway to plan the attack. Worked well.
The Senior Generals and NCOs honed their skills in the crucible of Vietnam.
His Generals have strategic plans ready to go but it appears POTUS can't make up his mind.

Unless you served in combat, you will never understand PTSD.

Oh I have.

PTSD is all in your head. Get over it.

I do not need to explain myself to some random Mundane. Take my advice or leave it.

Last edited:
I got down and depressed from watching two weeks of non-stop 9/11 coverage, the Twin Towers falling over and over and over and over...

So I turned the TV off and put my mind to something else.

No PTSD to this day!

EDIT: TV will f*ck you up! That's why I don't watch it anymore.

Unless you served in combat, you will never understand PTSD. Your simplistic statement proves my point.

Many sufferers of PTSD have no combat service. First responders for example, especially firefighters, police, EMTs, victims of crime/terrorism, etc. And we were all the victims of terrorism on 9/11/2001.

Unless you served in combat, you will never understand PTSD. Your simplistic statement proves my point.

Many sufferers of PTSD have no combat service. First responders for example, especially firefighters, police, EMTs, victims of crime/terrorism, etc. And we were all the victims of terrorism on 9/11/2001.
You left out Rape Victims.

Unless you served in combat, you will never understand PTSD.

Oh I have.

PTSD is all in your head. Get over it.

I do not need to explain myself to some random Mundane. Take my advice or leave it.
I don't think you have the ability to explain yourself. Your quick fix is BS. I would never take advice from message boards.You can try and stuff PTSD down low. However, one day it will rise to the surface especially as one ages.
Then you have a greater problem. What you need to get over is that you are wrong.
I served as an USMC Infantry Fire Team Leader in Vietnam with the 1st Bn 4th Marines. And you?

I mean no disrespect to the OP, but it is seriously unlikely that you have PTSD from watching tv. My girlfriend has it (she was gang raped) and I have two friends who were in the Marines who have it. Both experienced extreme combat. Sitting on one's couch and watching tv (however upsetting it might be) would not produce enough adrenaline to wire the brain for hypersensitivity and hyper vigilance.

Cut the cord, Delta! It's not worth it! Sorry to hear about people suffering from PTSD. Childhood trauma can give a person PTSD also.

For those who served..thank you for your service.
For Delta4embassy...I think you suffer depression. 9/11 traumatized many people. I hope you get some help.

Forum List

Back