Clinical Depression

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
As a result of Robin Williams' suicide, and discussions about clinical depression I thought a thread to discuss it (as opposed to going way off-topic in other threads would be a good idea.

Causes
By Mayo Clinic Staff

* Biological differences. People with depression appear to have physical changes in their brains. The significance of these changes is still uncertain, but may eventually help pinpoint causes.
* Brain chemistry. Neurotransmitters are naturally occurring brain chemicals that likely play a role in depression. When these chemicals are out of balance, it may be associated with depressive symptoms.
* Hormones. Changes in the body's balance of hormones may be involved in causing or triggering depression. Hormone changes can result from thyroid problems, menopause or a number of other conditions.
* Inherited traits. Depression is more common in people whose biological (blood) relatives also have this condition. Researchers are trying to find genes that may be involved in causing depression.
* Life events. Traumatic events such as the death or loss of a loved one, financial problems, high stress, or childhood trauma can trigger depression in some people.
Depression (major depression) Causes - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

_________

Illness

You may have a higher risk of depression if you have a longstanding or life-threatening illness, such as coronary heart disease or cancer.

Head injuries are also an often under-recognised cause of depression. A severe head injury can trigger mood swings and emotional problems.

Some people may have an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) due to problems with their immune system. In rarer cases a minor head injury can damage the pituitary gland, a pea-sized gland at the base of your brain that produces thyroid-stimulating hormones.

This can cause a number of symptoms, such as extreme tiredness and a loss of interest in sex (loss of libido), which can in turn lead to depression.
Personality

You may be more vulnerable to depression if you have certain personality traits, such as low self-esteem or being overly self-critical. This may be due to the genes you've inherited from your parents, or because of your personality or early life experiences.
Family history

If someone else in your family has suffered from depression in the past, such as a parent or sister or brother, then it's more likely you will too.
Giving birth

Some women are particularly vulnerable to depression after pregnancy. The hormonal and physical changes, as well as added responsibility of a new life, can lead to postnatal depression.
Loneliness

Becoming cut off from your family and friends can increase your risk of depression.
Alcohol and drugs

Some people try to cope when life is getting them down by drinking too much alcohol or taking drugs. This can result in a spiral of depression.

Cannabis helps you relax, but there is evidence that it can bring on depression, especially in teenagers.

And don't be tempted to drown your sorrows with a drink. Alcohol is categorised as a "strong depressant" and actually makes depression worse.
Clinical depression - Causes - NHS Choices

That's a good cross-section of our current understanding. What we've ruled out as causing depression includes: being weak-minded, possessed by demons, or not having accepted some fictional deity in your life.

Society itself can cause depression. Perhaps Robin Williams felt overwhelmed by today's media obsession with celebrity.

We live in an American capitalism state where bank fluctuations in interest rates can make everyday life seem tedious or even intolerable.

It's no wonder Americans deify bank robbers in the press and in art (i.e., Bonnie and Clyde).

There have been ideas circulating about actually using society art to discuss depression in a more comfortable setting and perhaps in a less clinical setting.

The comic book anti-heroines Harley Quinn (a psychiatrist-turned-murderer) and Poison Ivy (a scientist-turned-ecoterrorist), for example, are both anti-social nemeses of the vigilante caped crusader Batman (DC Comics), and both capture human anxieties regarding self-control and decision-making happiness.

Such connections between social art and psychiatry reveal the real market value of today's etiquette-access and etiquette-dialogue entertainment programs such as the gender-happiness cooking TV show "The Pioneer Woman" (Food Network).

:eusa_boohoo:

That's a good cross-section of our current understanding. What we've ruled out as causing depression includes: being weak-minded, possessed by demons, or not having accepted some fictional deity in your life.

Were you trying to start a real discussion thread? If so you just failed miserably. :thup:

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz

Were you trying to start a real discussion thread? If so you just failed miserably. :thup:

I always find it odd when people do that, start with a serious question then bring in an alternate agenda that kills the discussion on the question.

Also, apparently RW had recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease which is a very serious neurological disease for which there is no cure. It seems like the poor guy was just overwhelmed. Sad.

Parkinson’s Disease and Depression

The disease is crippling, sparking many of the depressive symptoms associated with it.
At the time of Williams’ death he was sober but dealing with depression and anxiety, as well as early onset of Parkinson’s, his wife’s statement goes on to read.

Receiving a diagnosis of an incurable disease such as Parkinson’s isn’t likely to help someone already dealing with symptoms of depression and anxiety.

I always find it odd when people do that, start with a serious question then bring in an alternate agenda that kills the discussion on the question.

That's because some posters on another thread were claiming that there is no such thing as "depression" and that it is just "feeling sad" and other such ridiculous comments.

That's because some posters on another thread were claiming that there is no such thing as "depression" and that it is just "feeling sad" and other such ridiculous comments.

That wasn't what I was or I believe Ringel was referring to, it was the Christian bashing. He just hijacked his own thread.

You're completely right though, my daughter has depression and my father was and my sister is bipolar. It's clearly a medical condition. Christan bashing is a great way to make sure it doesn't get discussed.

Last edited:

I know that yet it appeared in the initial post the OP wanted rational discussion then he posted this:

What we've ruled out as causing depression includes: being weak-minded, possessed by demons, or not having accepted some fictional deity in your life.

Kinda defeats the purpose, don'tcha think? :eusa_whistle:

I know that yet it appeared in the initial post the OP wanted rational discussion then he posted this:

What we've ruled out as causing depression includes: being weak-minded, possessed by demons, or not having accepted some fictional deity in your life.

Well, not really since some people have actually claimed those things, especially the weak-minded thing. A lot of people are completely ignorant when it comes to mental illnesses. Yes, some of them think it is just weakness (it's not - it's a legitimate mental disorder), or that if the person had God in his/her life, it would miraculously cure them of their mental illness. Doesn't work that way, unfortunately.

That wasn't what I was or I believe Ringel was referring to, it was the Christian bashing. He just hijacked his own thread.

You're completely right though, my daughter has depression and my father was and my sister is bipolar. It's clearly a medical condition. Christan bashing is a great way to make sure it doesn't get discussed.

It's not just Christian bashing, it's bashing in general that shuts down real discussion, (I know I do it from time to time myself........ :eusa_angel:).
Besides, the OP's a narcissistic prick and it's fun to bust his balloon on occasion. :thup:

Well sure, if you want to have a serious discussion, you probably shouldn't be bashing others' beliefs, but some people have been making some seriously effed up claims when it comes to mental illness, depression and suicide, which is surprising given the amount of scrutiny these things have received in recent years.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz

It's not just Christian bashing, it's bashing in general that shuts down real discussion, (I know I do it from time to time myself........ :eusa_angel:).
Besides, the OP's a narcissistic prick and it's fun to bust his balloon on occasion. :thup:

:lol: Well, I don't know a lot of the "regulars" here very well yet.

Well, not really since some people have actually claimed those things, especially the weak-minded thing. A lot of people are completely ignorant when it comes to mental illnesses. Yes, some of them think it is just weakness (it's not - it's a legitimate mental disorder), or that if the person had God in his/her life, it would miraculously cure them of their mental illness. Doesn't work that way, unfortunately.

I know what you're saying, have a background in Psych but bull shit, it's a call out thread, it's not what was said specifically, it's how it was worded, obviously to elicit flaming from some or simply for the OP to stroke his own ego. :dunno:

I know what you're saying, have a background in Psych but bull shit, it's a call out thread, it's not what was said specifically, it's how it was worded, obviously to elicit flaming from some or simply for the OP to stroke his own ego. :dunno:

Fair criticism.

Personally... I find that humans suffering from depression are incredibly weak at using willpower to their advantage.

Its their own fault.

Last edited:
You aren't "weak" if you are depressed. Actually, I think that some people feel the pains and sadness of others MORE deeply than perhaps they should and it builds up. And, no, if you are truly depressed, you cannot pull yourself up by your bootstraps. If you could you would.
But, you don't have to become your depression. You dont' have to allow it to be the identity of who you are. That isn't who you are. Learning to understand and manage it is what is key.

Forum List

Back