Clinical Depression

You aren't "weak" if you are depressed. Actually, I think that some people feel the pains and sadness of others MORE deeply than perhaps they should and it builds up. And, no, if you are truly depressed, you cannot pull yourself up by your bootstraps. If you could you would.
But, you don't have to become your depression. You dont' have to allow it to be the identity of who you are. That isn't who you are. Learning to understand and manage it is what is key.

I agree, and it's a recognized mental illness. They cannot control it without medication and therapy. Some people can handle it better than others, I think. Also, for those suffering from this mental illness, one thing could put them over the edge. I think it's pretty sad that people suffer on the inside like that.

Clinical depression What does that mean - Mayo Clinic

Personally... I find that humans suffering from depression are incredibly weak at using willpower to their advantage.

Its their own fault.

And you are a fool and stupid to boot.

Don't hate on me if you lack the willpower necessary to overcome PTSD and/ or depression.

So weak in the mind are some people.

Some people have more "gentle souls" than other people. That doesn't mean they don't deserve help and compassion.

Well ,for some reason, we expect depressed people to simply have some switch that they can switch on and off and control how they feel. You don't tell a grieving person STOP feeling sad. You don't tell a happy person to be less happy. You can't control how you feel. However, you can control what you choose to do with those feelings. The feelings themselves aren't the problem per se but learning how to deal with and manage those feelings.
You may feel angry but you can break a few chairs or you can learn to control your anger. I think the approach to somehow eliminate the feelings of depression isn't always the best approach. Some people do try to do so through medication or substance abuse. But, unfeeling can be a worse sentence than feeling. And, yes , medication may be helpful so I don't knock that in anyway. But, I think it has to be a two pronged attack. If you take medication, I think you still also have to do the work of learning to manage it.

Well ,for some reason, we expect depressed people to simply have some switch that they can switch on and off and control how they feel. You don't tell a grieving person STOP feeling sad. You don't tell a happy person to be less happy. You can't control how you feel. However, you can control what you choose to do with those feelings. The feelings themselves aren't the problem per se but learning how to deal with and manage those feelings.
You may feel angry but you can break a few chairs or you can learn to control your anger. I think the approach to somehow eliminate the feelings of depression isn't always the best approach. Some people do try to do so through medication or substance abuse. But, unfeeling can be a worse sentence than feeling. And, yes , medication may be helpful so I don't knock that in anyway. But, I think it has to be a two pronged attack. If you take medication, I think you still also have to do the work of learning to manage it.

I can understand why people believe that.

But please take a moment to try and consider the extent of how much we we can actually control how we feel.

Just try to consider that our minds are more powerful than most give them credit for. That we can combat anger at Will, that we can combat sadness, or pain, or depression, merely by controlling how we think, choosing how to feel, and truly believing that we do have the power to control how we feel.... that even feelings like happiness, pleasure, and love can be conquered with Willpower, and the powers of thought, and choice, and belief.

Consider why we really feel the things we feel, and how those things are influenced by what we choose to think, and our choices and decisions that are carried out not with the body, but with the mind.​

But please take a moment to try and consider the extent of how much we we can actually control how we feel.

Just try to consider that our minds are more powerful than most give them credit for. That we can combat anger at Will, that we can combat sadness, or pain, or depression, merely by controlling how we think, choosing how to feel, and truly believing that we do have the power to control how we feel.... that even feelings like happiness, pleasure, and love can be conquered with Willpower, and the powers of thought, and choice, and belief.

Consider why we really feel the things we feel, and how those things are influenced by what we choose to think, and our choices and decisions that are carried out not with the body, but with the mind.​

I'm quite sure that you have never suffered from depression and have no idea what it is like. You should feel lucky.

I'm quite sure that you have never suffered from depression and have no idea what it is like. You should feel lucky.
I am quite sure you are absolutely WRONG. And, I am quite sure that it almost ruined my life. But, if you wish to try to invalidate my experience then go ahead. I can only offer up what worked for ME. A

I am quite sure you are absolutely WRONG. And, I am quite sure that it almost ruined my life. But, if you wish to try to invalidate my experience then go ahead. I can only offer up what worked for ME. A

Umm. I think you might be confused. That post was not meant for you. It was addressed to Goddess Ashtara. You MUST follow the order of quotes.

Really, why would I like and agree with YOUR posts, and then say you don't know what you're talking about? :lol:

Umm. I think you might be confused. That post was not meant for you. It was addressed to Goddess Ashtara. You MUST follow the order of quotes.

Really, why would I like and agree with YOUR posts, and then say you don't know what you're talking about? :lol:
OH, ok, LOL! Good point!

I went through a very bad time in my life with some personal tragedies and then a concomitant illness that really knocked me flat on my back. I could not help myself. I finally went for some counseling and he helped me see that there is a difference between an EXPLANATION and an EXCUSE. Feeling depressed might explain why I feel how I feel . However, I let that become my excuse for then being less than I could be. Slowly but sure I realized I needed to try a new approach. Stop digging and start climbing. Step by step inch by inch. You can't wait until you feel better to do better. ACTIONS precede feelings. Do better, and then you will feel better. Start by doing small things. Clean out a junk drawer. Make your home a bit nicer. Take the dog for a walk. Cook a nice meal. Step by step.

I "should feel lucky"?

I have experienced many of the same things that have caused countless people to suffer from depression or PTSD.

Why do you think that is? That two people can go through the exact same thing, and one "develops" PTSD or depression, and the other does not? Is it because I have been "blessed" with superior genetics? Is it because I am "lucky"?

Or is it because I choose not to underestimate the power of my mind and thoughts... of Willpower, choice, and belief?

It is not luck, nor is it superior genetics.... it is just mind power.

I "should feel lucky"?

I have experienced many of the same things that have caused countless people to suffer from depression or PTSD.

Why do you think that is? That two people can go through the exact same thing, and one "develops" PTSD or depression, and the other does not? Is it because I have been "blessed" with superior genetics? Is it because I am "lucky"?

Or is it because I choose not to underestimate the power of my mind and thoughts... of Willpower, choice, and belief?

It is not luck, nor is it superior genetics.... it is just mind power.

It's because everyone is different, and different people have different personalities. Some people were brought up differently. There can be any number of reasons why. Some people have lost children or have experienced other tragedies that they have a difficult time dealing with in the long-term. Perhaps they never dealt with it. Childhood trauma, the list goes on.

And there could easily be something that happens to you one day that could put you over the edge too, OR someone who you love and care for deeply, and may need help someday. Don't ever say never.

Why respond to morons and idiots, that is what she is. Some people have chemical imbalances in their brains and the medication helps remedy that. Genetics does in fact play a part as some people have problems that run in the family. And no one can not just wish it away.

I had depression my whole life and I controlled it until my mother died. A year after she died I broke down. And it was hell after that. My Navy shrink said with the level of depression and paranoia I suffered from I should never have gotten through boot camp much less risen to GySgt and spent 15 years in the Marine Corps.

So anyone that claims you can just wish away clinical depression is a moron.

Forum List

Back