Popular misrepresentations of the idea of heaven

Questioner

Nov 26, 2019
In popular culture, "heaven" is erroneously described as a cloudy place full of angels. I'm not sure where such childish notions or ideas of it originated, and may have little specifically to do with Christianity to begin with, but I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts on heaven in the context of the Bible or theology, thanks.

(The same in regards to popular depictions of "Satan", hell or the "Devil" as a red person with a pitchfork; I'm curious where those actually originated; as far as the Bible, I don't recall any physical description of Satan or the Devil, beyond the serpent in Eden, or the fallen angel Lucifer, who was supposedly very comely, rather than hidieous).

In Hebrew Olam Habah means world to come aka future perfected-paradise.
Our intention and purpose is to always strive to be all we could and should be aka stable complete and whole(meaning of the word Shalem).
It's in the name of the Holy city as a beacon and focus as if to be our cliff notes to discern and keep in that path of progressing to that state and attain it sooner rather then later.

In popular culture, "heaven" is erroneously described as a cloudy place full of angels. I'm not sure where such childish notions or ideas of it originated, and may have little specifically to do with Christianity to begin with, but I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts on heaven in the context of the Bible or theology, thanks.

(The same in regards to popular depictions of "Satan", hell or the "Devil" as a red person with a pitchfork; I'm curious where those actually originated; as far as the Bible, I don't recall any physical description of Satan or the Devil, beyond the serpent in Eden, or the fallen angel Lucifer, who was supposedly very comely, rather than hidieous).
I like the Talking Heads' idea of what heaven is. David Byrne sings, "Heaven, heaven is a place, where nothing, nothing ever happens." It's calm and peaceful, but nothing ever happens. An interesting idea. I believe heaven is in your mind and your soul, and your soul goes "there" after you die. You won't need your physical self there, your soul will be able to communicate with the other souls there telepathically. At least that's MY take on heaven.

On earth as we know it good and evil exist together...in hell only evil resides and in heaven only good....how we live our lives determine where we fit in after we die...I caught a glimpse once and it change my life....

The kingdom of heaven is within you according Luke 17:21 if I recalled the proper verse offhand. I've noticed that same verse has been left out in some Bibles. In the Bible several levels of heaven are mentioned.

Per the serpent the origins of the work is to look or gaze intently. < A little more to it than that but that is the gest of it.

The comical version of satan red with little pointed horns a figment of someones imagination. I can say I saw a very nasty looking appearance of a spirit in a friend's face once for a brief moment who denied God. My husband wrote a brief story about the event. It was shortly after that the friend sat at our table with the Bible and us and pour his heart out in tears as he described how his faith had been shaken years earlier. I do not believe for one moment that our dear friend's soul was not saved even though he was given over here in this world. Jesus told us to keep that which is good as that is what is kept. He also said only God was good so that should give everyone an inclination to what part is kept.

The comical version of satan red with little pointed horns a figment of someones imagination.
Symbolism, usually used in the same way kids use slang to hide from parents what they are saying or who they are talking about.
Scarlet red was the color of the Roman army and horns means powers of authority. Romes 2 horn system was Political and religious authority one hiding behind the other. Devil in Theslonians is the power of death and destruction which this 2 horn system of Rome carried and wielded to cause over 50 million murders throughout history.

The comical version of satan red with little pointed horns a figment of someones imagination.
Symbolism, usually used in the same way kids use slang to hide from parents what they are saying or who they are talking about.
Scarlet red was the color of the Roman army and horns means powers of authority. Romes 2 horn system was Political and religious authority one hiding behind the other. Devil in Theslonians is the power of death and destruction which this 2 horn system of Rome carried and wielded to cause over 50 million murders throughout history.
I consider it after posting that first response it could be possible that someone actually saw a little red guy with a tail and the two horns. That is the first description I've heard such on Thessalonians. I'm kinda busy with other things at the moment but if I get a chance later I go back an check on it.

I consider it after posting that first response it could be possible that someone actually saw a little red guy with a tail and the two horns. That is the first description I've heard such on Thessalonians. I'm kinda busy with other things at the moment but if I get a chance later I go back an check on it.
Sorry I always get that wrong, I used to post Rev 1:14 from memory then realized it was actually
Hebrews 2:14,15
power of death that is the devil.
My memory of verses come and go when not discussing them for a while.

The kingdom of heaven is within you according Luke 17:21 if I recalled the proper verse offhand. I've noticed that same verse has been left out in some Bibles. In the Bible several levels of heaven are mentioned.

Per the serpent the origins of the work is to look or gaze intently. < A little more to it than that but that is the gest of it.

The comical version of satan red with little pointed horns a figment of someones imagination. I can say I saw a very nasty looking appearance of a spirit in a friend's face once for a brief moment who denied God. My husband wrote a brief story about the event. It was shortly after that the friend sat at our table with the Bible and us and pour his heart out in tears as he described how his faith had been shaken years earlier. I do not believe for one moment that our dear friend's soul was not saved even though he was given over here in this world. Jesus told us to keep that which is good as that is what is kept. He also said only God was good so that should give everyone an inclination to what part is kept.
The kingdom of God is in the midst of you. Many believers insist that when Christ told this audience of Pharisees that the kingdom was in their midst, the correct translation ought to be that the kingdom was within them, as some translations have led them to believe. That is, that the kingdom was in their hearts. To be fair to this interpretation, the Greek translates to the word within as well. But this would imply that the kingdom was available to the degenerate and unfaithful, as the crowd Jesus was addressing included Pharisees, a group of people he called a brood of vipers and children of the devil and who lacked the righteousness to enter the kingdom (Mt 5:20).

Literal translations such as the ESV and the NRSV render the Greek in context. The kingdom is in the midst of you (ESV) or among you (NRSV). The character of his audience aside, Jesus was addressing a crowd. The kingdom was in the midst of a group of people, or among it. It was not in the midst of an individual, which itself would be a nonsensical phrase, unless, as some translations may render it, it was within the individual’s grasp. The kingdom of God is in the midst of you, plural, not you, singular. The Greek you in this verse – ὑμῶν – is the genitive second-person plural. The kingdom was among the audience that Jesus was addressing.

I agree that the depictions of Satan are comical. So is the very idea of eternal torment, as if God punishes for the sake of punishing.

The kingdom of God is in the midst of you. Many believers insist that when Christ told this audience of Pharisees that the kingdom was in their midst, the correct translation ought to be that the kingdom was within them, as some translations have led them to believe. That is, that the kingdom was in their hearts. To be fair to this interpretation, the Greek translates to the word within as well. But this would imply that the kingdom was available to the degenerate and unfaithful, as the crowd Jesus was addressing included Pharisees, a group of people he called a brood of vipers and children of the devil and who lacked the righteousness to enter the kingdom (Mt 5:20).

Literal translations such as the ESV and the NRSV render the Greek in context. The kingdom is in the midst of you (ESV) or among you (NRSV). The character of his audience aside, Jesus was addressing a crowd. The kingdom was in the midst of a group of people, or among it. It was not in the midst of an individual, which itself would be a nonsensical phrase, unless, as some translations may render it, it was within the individual’s grasp. The kingdom of God is in the midst of you, plural, not you, singular. The Greek you in this verse – ὑμῶν – is the genitive second-person plural. The kingdom was among the audience that Jesus was addressing.

I agree that the depictions of Satan are comical. So is the very idea of eternal torment, as if God punishes for the sake of punishing.
Because the "world to come" can be a paradise or a hell hole, the proper expression is to say heaven is "in you" as in "capabilities to progress and create that paradise". It's like we recently told
N. Korea and Iran, it's in them to make those right choices to choose progress that comes in peaceful approaches rather then destructive waring postures.
It's in them to chose tech and biz and trade over military and proxy wars.
It's in them to chose to be a Cyrus rather then a Belshazadar. Financial windfalls rather then financial collapse and unrest. Choose life and paradise rather then death and destruction liken to the description of Gehinnom (trash heap outside the kingdom walls)

I was just hearing about hell or lake of fire as a sulfur fire. That's burning rock as in fire and brimstone. I think that part is an accurate description. Heaven is living with a new physically perfect body of new flesh and new bone. There won't be any marrow as no flesh and blood from our current bodies will be able to enter heaven. The believers will have a body like the resurrected Jesus.

Anyway, most of it is prophecy, so it's metaphor and allegory. We don't know exactly what will happen, but only know how to get to heaven. The rest of the paths lead to the other place. Even the bad guys and non-believers have a chance as there has to be a war to settle it all. Of course, we know the good guys win in the end. The fire and brimstone seems to be for Satan and his followers. As for the human souls, it will be torment, but I think there are themes such as you reap what you sow and something like the Groundhog Day movie where you relive a part of you life or death until you get it right. However, it's too late and one can't make it right anymore.

As for the rest, the OP should refer to near-death experiences for possible answers and the Bible.

For some reason, I watched this youtube regarding NDE recently. It's about the pastor who was going to hell instead of heaven as he thought because he could not forgive his wife.

Knock yourself out for others (I haven't seen most of them)
Testimonies of Heaven and Hell - Near Death Experiences

Another thought that came to mind was Jesse Duplantis description of what he saw. He saw the house prepared for him and it was furnished just like his house. Again 'the kingdom of heaven is in you' it was put there with that first blow of breath from the Lord that made you a living soul. The flesh is merely the container for the spirit of life and the living soul. A Hebrew Levite host open a curtain for him to get a peek at the spiritual realm within him.

For some reason, I watched this youtube regarding NDE recently. It's about the pastor who was going to hell instead of heaven as he thought because he could not forgive his wife.
Good point. One cannot be an overcomer if one holds onto something born of hate, jealousy, ignorance, etc. Letting go of these things within that interfere with the spirit is a portion of overcoming the pitfalls of the carnal world. That doesn't mean one has to find them acceptable but love one another enough to want them saved misery as you would want to be saved from it also.

Another thought that came to mind was Jesse Duplantis description of what he saw. He saw the house prepared for him and it was furnished just like his house.

I suppose he liked his house on Earth. What the video I posted said was the building was made from materials that he had never seen before; it was beautiful. Great beauty and complexity is evidence for God in our current world.

Another thought that came to mind was Jesse Duplantis description of what he saw. He saw the house prepared for him and it was furnished just like his house.

I suppose he liked his house on Earth. What the video I posted said was the building was made from materials that he had never seen before; it was beautiful. Great beauty and complexity is evidence for God in our current world.
Our bandwidth is really low at this time of the month so I don't watch too many videos as it takes so long for them to cache and play. If I remember I may try to watch them later.

Heavenly things and the hosts are also described briefly in the book of Enoch which may help some in their search.

I was just hearing about hell or lake of fire as a sulfur fire. That's burning rock as in fire and brimstone. I think that part is an accurate description. Heaven is living with a new physically perfect body of new flesh and new bone. There won't be any marrow as no flesh and blood from our current bodies will be able to enter heaven. The believers will have a body like the resurrected Jesus.

Anyway, most of it is prophecy, so it's metaphor and allegory. We don't know exactly what will happen, but only know how to get to heaven. The rest of the paths lead to the other place. Even the bad guys and non-believers have a chance as there has to be a war to settle it all. Of course, we know the good guys win in the end. The fire and brimstone seems to be for Satan and his followers. As for the human souls, it will be torment, but I think there are themes such as you reap what you sow and something like the Groundhog Day movie where you relive a part of you life or death until you get it right. However, it's too late and one can't make it right anymore.

As for the rest, the OP should refer to near-death experiences for possible answers and the Bible.

Knock yourself out for others (I haven't seen most of them)
Testimonies of Heaven and Hell - Near Death Experiences

True, ultimately Hell is described as Eternal Separation from God; as opposed the emphasis on fire, which seems more of a Catholic thing from my limited understanding.

I believe that most popular understandings of Heaven or hell are derived from non-biblical sources, primarily Dante's Inferno and Milton's Paradise Lost. The ideas in these works have become ingrained in our popular culture. This is true even in the Church.
The City of God described toward the end of the book of the Revelation is a cube 1500 miles on a side. It is an ark.

Forum List

Back