Pontificating President says no deal; GOP must "budge."

The dope we put into the Oval Office is now publicly playing a national game of "chicken"

I might be willing to agree with you if the GOP had compromised on anything, ever, at any point. They haven't. In fact, they picked up their toys and stormed out when someone said something about their toy jets.

Obama is being tough because tough is what we need right now.

It is all well and good, politically, to engage in meaningful compromise on some points, under proper circumstances.

It is another thing ENTIRELY to compromise on principle when the fate of our Republic is hanging in the balance.

Under the present circumstances, if the President wants to play chicken, i say BRING IT.

I think its more posturing, they are all jockeying for position, I will say I find it politically ill-advised to paint himself into a corner.

if the reps say ok to 'revenue' plus agreement, as they craft a short term fix, he'll still say no?

If the Republicans agree, now, to ANY tax increase, the President will take credit for "forcing" their hands.

The conservatives and responsible Republicans and any sane Democrat Congressman SHOULD now REFUSE to do anything but vote on MASSIVE spending cuts. They should call the President on his game of "chicken" by firmly declaring, "No to any new taxes of any kind in any form. And no to a debt ceiling increase."

Make that officious idiot be the one to blink.

What tax increase?

Bush tax cuts were never meant to permanent.

If you terminate ANY tax cut, now, you are increasing taxes now.

It's not that difficult.

This is no time to be raising anybody's taxes.

They were elected to reduce the deficit and reduce taxes. The President is the one refusing to compromise.

No, they were elected to fix the job situation. Something they haven't even touched yet.

No. They aren't elected to fix the job situation.

They are elected to help govern the Republic responsibly within the limitations imposed on them by the Constitution.

The government doesn't create ANY jobs. The government does not produce any wealth.

If the Republicans agree, now, to ANY tax increase, the President will take credit for "forcing" their hands.

The conservatives and responsible Republicans and any sane Democrat Congressman SHOULD now REFUSE to do anything but vote on MASSIVE spending cuts. They should call the President on his game of "chicken" by firmly declaring, "No to any new taxes of any kind in any form. And no to a debt ceiling increase."

Make that officious idiot be the one to blink.

What tax increase?

It's not that difficult.

So, when the House Republicans voted to eliminate the Ethanol subsidy, was that a tax increase?

They were elected to reduce the deficit and reduce taxes. The President is the one refusing to compromise.

No, they were elected to fix the job situation. Something they haven't even touched yet.

They are elected to help govern the Republic responsibly within the limitations imposed on them by the Constitution.

The government doesn't create ANY jobs. The government does not produce any wealth.

So, during the mid-terms, why was Boehner's war cry "Obama, where are the jobs"???

It's about time Obama grew a pair. The last thing the GOP needs right now is to carry the "no compromise" label into the 2012 campaign season, especially if the US ends up defaulting on it's debt, causing a worse economy than we already have.

Actually, the last thing the GOP needs before the 2012 campaign is a "We will capitulate" label. They were elected to reduce the deficit and reduce taxes. The President is the one refusing to compromise.

I believe you are thinking short term, or small picture. I agree that the "conservatives" and GOP base put them into office to reduce taxes. However, the "conservatives" and GOP base is not enough to get any of them elected in a general election. But, keep with the strategery. It will get you a GOP nominee, if nothing else.

Of course you just contradicted yourself. The GOP swept the mid-terms precisely on reining in government spending and not raising taxes. Those were two firm pledges. If they back off that now they are toast, no credibility at all.
Obama has never compromised on anytihng. Ever. All he has done is hector one side or another.

What tax increase?

It's not that difficult.

So, when the House Republicans voted to eliminate the Ethanol subsidy, was that a tax increase?

Do you really imagine that a tax credit is a tax cut?

I tell ya what: we should not be engaged in the business of using ANY kind of taxation or tax relief as a tool for social engineering anyway.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh....THAT was the mid-term promise. They are trying to get a POTUS elected now.

Except no, that isn't why they were elected. They ran on a platform of reducing spending.

When we stop wasting money and stealing more of it from individuals, jobs creation will take care of itself.

It's amazing how you fools think the government is going to solve your idleness problem.

It's not that difficult.

I tell ya what: we should not be engaged in the business of using ANY kind of taxation or tax relief as a tool for social engineering anyway.

That was a simple "yes" or "no" question. And I only ask because the GOP swore that NOT extending the Bush tax cuts on the wealthy equalled a tax increase. Aren't subsidies and tax breaks similar in nature?

So, during the mid-terms, why was Boehner's war cry "Obama, where are the jobs"???

At the risk of permitting you to drive this off-topic:

Politicians engage in all kinds of pandering. They say stupid shit to get elected. They deviate from principles.

This is news to you?

The point is NOT that they periodically do and say such crap. The point is that they shouldn't.

The function of government is not now and never was to create jobs. Governments don't create wealth.

The PROPER function of a limited government is to (within the bounds of practicality and reason) do what they can to stay the fuck out of the way of the forces of the market. If they limit themselves to THAT, governments CAN (properly) foster a situation whereby jobs and wealth can be created and preserved.

That was a simple "yes" or "no" question. And I only ask because the GOP swore that NOT extending the Bush tax cuts on the wealthy equalled a tax increase. Aren't subsidies and tax breaks similar in nature?

It was a phony question.

I have answered your questions.

The point is not that this kind of shit never happens. The point is still that it SHOULDN'T.

Politicians engage in all kinds of pandering. They say stupid shit to get elected. They deviate from principles.

This is news to you?

The point is NOT that they periodically do and say such crap. The point is that they shouldn't.

The function of government is not now and never was to create jobs. Governments don't create wealth.

The PROPER function of a limited government is to (within the bounds of practicality and reason) do what they can to stay the fuck out of the way of the forces of the market. If they limit themselves to THAT, governments CAN (properly) foster a situation whereby jobs and wealth can be created and preserved.

In other words, they lied. And those that voted them into office, bought the lies. Good show!:clap2:

This is news to you?

In other words, they lied. And those that voted them into office, bought the lies. Good show!:clap2:

This coming from an Obama voter is especially rich. Obama lied about virtually everything.
The ethanol subsidies have to go. They are bad policy. Eliminating them is not raising taxes.

Back to topic: If Obama is not going to compromise, the GOP needs to pass its own bill and let the Senate Democrats defeat it or if they pass it let Obama veto it.
Then he will be responsible for whatever comes next. Obama still thinks this is the 1990s and he is Bill Clinton.
But he's no Bill Clinton.

This is news to you?

No. President Obama and the moron liberal Democraps lied and those that voted those schmucks into office not only bought into their lies, but still slavishly support the lying assholes.

But again, conservative and Republican politicians are not immune to engaging in puffery to get elected, either.

Maybe you shouldn't be so self-servingly selective in your willingness to point fingers.

He also claimed the public didn't and shouldn't care about this issue....

YouTube - ‪Obama says public shouldn't care about spending‬‏

Isn't that amazing?

What a tool.

It's almost unimaginable that we collectively permitted that imbecile to be our elected leader.
Sad.

We collectively didn't. A good number of us kept our wits about us and didn't swallow the cool aid. and he's not my leader. I don't follow fools like him.

He also claimed the public didn't and shouldn't care about this issue....

YouTube - ‪Obama says public shouldn't care about spending‬‏

Isn't that amazing?

What a tool.

It's almost unimaginable that we collectively permitted that imbecile to be our elected leader.
Sad.

We collectively didn't. A good number of us kept our wits about us and didn't swallow the cool aid. and he's not my leader. I don't follow fools like him.

I didn't vote for him either. But I failed to marshal the opposition to him. Lots of us failed to work very hard to avoid this catastrophe. I can't abide him as President. But he is still our President. Sad, but there it is.

They all suck... The GOP can redeem themselves if they sit Obama down and keep him under lock and key. In less than two years we can rid ourselves of him for good. Maybe even deport him back to Kenya or Indonesia. Bye Mr. Muslim.

Forum List

Back