Polyvagal Theory: An Approach to Understanding Trauma

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
In 1994, Stephen Porges introduced the polyvagal theory, based on an evolutionary, neuropsychological understanding of the vagus nerve’s role in emotion regulation, social connection, and fear response. Since then, the theory has brought a new understanding of trauma and recovery, providing for the first time a physiological explanation for trauma survivors’ experiences.

Deb Dana, a clinical social worker and therapist, recognized the need for a practical application of polyvagal theory and has adapted the theory for clinical and therapeutic purposes. Dana authored the books The Polyvagal Theory in Therapy, Clinical Applications of the Polyvagal Theory, and most recently, Polyvagal Exercises for Safety and Connection, published in 2020. Dana explained the theory and how it organizes the nervous system into three key principles: hierarchy, neuroception, and co-regulation.

Hierarchy refers to three nervous system states—ventral vagal, sympathetic, and dorsal vagal—and their activation in a particular order. Dana states that ventral vagal helps us feel safe, show up, communicate, and connect with others. She calls ventral vagal home, the place of safety where we want to be most of the time. Sympathetic is that energy of flight or fight that helps us mobilize to survive in dangerous environments. If we cannot fight or take flight, dorsal vagal has us shut down, collapse, or go numb to protect us.

I have always found it interesting that trauma often masks as ADHD.

This is an interview with Dr. Porges:

I haven't watched the entire thing so don't get halfway through and go off on a tangent trying to crucify me.

Forum List

Back