Polygamy

Polygamy? Viable and safe option to traditional 1 man 1 woman?

• Yes

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
Originally posted by OCA
It goes without saying though that it is illegal throughout the U.S. although i'm not sure if Utah doesn't have some weird statute concerning it considering all the Mormons there and their obsession with it by some members.

Its illegal in Utah. its just hard to crack down on. And despite the claims of anyone practicing it, they arent mormon. Any mormon found practicing polygamy is excommunicated from the Church.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
The official position of Mormonism for the first years of their religion were that Joseph Smith (founder of Mormonism) had a divine revalation that polygamy was OK. The reasoning behind it was that Mormonism teaches that there are a finite number of people waiting to be born, and the sooner that they are all born, the sooner Jesus would return. So polygamy was instituted.
However, after the Mormons had settled Utah and were applying for statehood, Congress balked because of polygamy. The leading prophet of Mormonism at the time (whose name escapes me) then had another revelation that outlawed polygamy, and the official church doctrine banned it.
The fallout from this can still be felt today. First, on the issue itself, there are many fundamentalist Mormons who believe that polygamy is still OK, and they still practice it. Second, it questions the other "revelations" of Joseph Smith. Was he wrong about polygamy? If so, what other "revelations" was he wrong about? Or did God change his mind about it? If so, what else has the Mormon God changed his mind about?

Actually the whole reason the polygamy issue came up in Mormonism was that Joseph Smith questioned how Abraham, Jacob, Moses and other men in the Old Testament were justified having more than one wife.

Also, I think the Church's position on polygamy is the same its always been. When God says its ok, its ok, when He says its not, its not.

Originally posted by nycflasher
I know, it sure is hard to derive meaning from OCA's strange ramblings.

I am waiting to see how he ties this into gay marriage... :laugh:

Chippewa you are on the wrong side of all issues. Plus you have your hands full with RWA plus I whipped you in the Massachusets thread, do you really want to tangle with me?

Originally posted by Zhukov
I think it would probably be safe for children. As opposed to same-sex marriages where a child is legally deprived of a mother or father, in this case they would have both, multiple in the case of the mother.

Absolutely correct, I hadn't thought of it that way. Hell being brought up by grandparents or I surmise just 1 grandparent is better than being brought up by queers.

In those societies where polygamy and polyandry are practiced, and the relationships are between adults and are wholly consensual , it does not seem to have an adverse effect on the children. It provides an extended family to help care for, and raise the children.

In some isolated Mormon communities in Utah where, polygamy is practiced, the relationships are often non-consensual, with the brides barely into their teens. These child brides have been found to exhibit most of the characteristics of abused children. Also in those countries where children are still sold as brides, the same thing happens.

So, where the partners in the polygamous/polyandrous marriage are all adults and the relationships are consensual, there really seems to be no harm. But where these relationships are coerced, and involve children fullfilling the sexual roles of adults, then polygamous /polyandrous relationships become dark, destructive perversions that bring untold suffering to thier victims.

Originally posted by OCA
I think it would probably be safe for children. As opposed to same-sex marriages where a child is legally deprived of a mother or father, in this case they would have both, multiple in the case of the mother.

Absolutely correct, I hadn't thought of it that way. Hell being brought up by grandparents or I surmise just 1 grandparent is better than being brought up by queers.

There is little, if any, difference between children raised by heterosexual couples vs homosexual couples.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
There is little, if any, difference between children raised by heterosexual couples vs homosexual couples.

Wow! Over 50% voted "Yes". Over half of you must be insane according to OCA. See a doctor fast.

I didnt vote:p: Im a rebel who wants to cause problems dont you know.....:rolleyes: :p:

Originally posted by OCA

here it is flasher----the tie in you talked about. OCA has proved that polygamy is "better" for kids than a gay marriage. Will the next poll be " Is being rich better than being gay " He still can't stand his defeat in the Mass thread and trying to squirm out of it:funnyface

Originally posted by Avatar4321
You really think you are going to get a guy to do laundry? what would happen is youd probably end up having twice as much to clean yourself.

ummmmm no
See, I know that trick and it just doenst fly around here.

However, thanks for playing!:rolleyes:

:p:

:cof:

Originally posted by Bullypulpit

Except for that whole thing about not having a mother or father.....

After all a man doesn't bring anything to raising a child, so two moms is fine....

Oh, and a woman doesn't bring anything to raising a child, so two dads is fine....

But of course....it takes a village.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
Actually the whole reason the polygamy issue came up in Mormonism was that Joseph Smith questioned how Abraham, Jacob, Moses and other men in the Old Testament were justified having more than one wife.

Also, I think the Church's position on polygamy is the same its always been. When God says its ok, its ok, when He says its not, its not.

God has never said that it's OK, though. Jacob had two wives, and David had a few, and Solomon had a few hundred (!), but nowhere does God condone polygamy. The Biblical texts on marriage talk about 'the two become one flesh,' inferring that marriage was meant to be between two people - and more specifically, one man and one woman.

Forum List

Back