Polygamy

Polygamy? Viable and safe option to traditional 1 man 1 woman?

• Yes

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
Ok Zhukov is it safe as far as children are concerned? Is it conducive to a healthy mental state? Do you think the petty jealousies and other ailments that afflict a traditional marriage from time to time would not be magnified? It certainly is viable, hell anybody can get married a bunch of times and have them all living under 1 roof, David Koresh did it although if they were legally married or not i'm not sure but same type of deal, but I don't know any man in his right mind who wants more than 1 wife so there would have to be some sort of brainwashing involved to keep everybody on the same page. It goes without saying though that it is illegal throughout the U.S. although i'm not sure if Utah doesn't have some weird statute concerning it considering all the Mormons there and their obsession with it by some members.

Anyway polygamy is so far out in leftfield in modern society and so ancient in its thinking its hardly worth mentioning. BTW are you a supporter of it? You didn't mention 1 way or the other.

Are you asking if it should be legal ? I assume by "safe" you meant " Is it a threat to the 1 male--1 female traditional family unit? "

Originally posted by dilloduck
Are you asking if it should be legal ? I assume by "safe" you meant " Is it a threat to the 1 male--1 female traditional family unit? "

No Dildo, think of the problems a traditional marriage goes through then magnify that times how many wifes. Also think of the children, the myriad of posssible problems are too many to mention, just think on it for a while.

Originally posted by OCA
Ok Zhukov is it safe as far as children are concerned? Is it conducive to a healthy mental state? Do you think the petty jealousies and other ailments that afflict a traditional marriage from time to time would not be magnified

I think it would probably be safe for children. As opposed to same-sex marriages where a child is legally deprived of a mother or father, in this case they would have both, multiple in the case of the mother.

Conducive to a healthy mental state? Considering men are hardwired against monogamy, it might be better for the man. I have no idea how a woman would feel. Absent some type of strong religious conviction, I doubt they would prefer it.

There might be the creation of jealousies between wives, but the wives could talk amongst themselves concerning any problems they may have with the husband. But, having not been involved in a relationship with mutiple women (well...) I could only theorize on what sort of drama could ensue.

i'm not sure if Utah doesn't have some weird statute concerning it considering all the Mormons there and their obsession with it by some members.

I believe Mormons only supported polygamy in the early days when their were many more women than men in their....collectives. Some Morons still do support it, but I don't believe the church does.

BTW are you a supporter of it? You didn't mention 1 way or the other.

I don't know.

But I did vote yes.

Originally posted by Zhukov
I believe Mormons only supported polygamy in the early days when their were many more women than men in their....collectives. Some Morons still do support it, but I don't believe the church does.

The official position of Mormonism for the first years of their religion were that Joseph Smith (founder of Mormonism) had a divine revalation that polygamy was OK. The reasoning behind it was that Mormonism teaches that there are a finite number of people waiting to be born, and the sooner that they are all born, the sooner Jesus would return. So polygamy was instituted.
However, after the Mormons had settled Utah and were applying for statehood, Congress balked because of polygamy. The leading prophet of Mormonism at the time (whose name escapes me) then had another revelation that outlawed polygamy, and the official church doctrine banned it.
The fallout from this can still be felt today. First, on the issue itself, there are many fundamentalist Mormons who believe that polygamy is still OK, and they still practice it. Second, it questions the other "revelations" of Joseph Smith. Was he wrong about polygamy? If so, what other "revelations" was he wrong about? Or did God change his mind about it? If so, what else has the Mormon God changed his mind about?

Originally posted by gop_jeff
The reasoning behind it was that Mormonism teaches that there are a finite number of people waiting to be born, and the sooner that they are all born, the sooner Jesus would return.

Haha........those crazy mormons. Part of me says, let them have multiple wives, what do I care.

would that mean that I could have multiple husbands? Id still want DK as my bed partner, but I wouldnt mind having another to clean, another to cook, another to buy me even more stuff (because Im a materialistic biotch dontcha know) and so on.

Originally posted by dilloduck

I know, it sure is hard to derive meaning from OCA's strange ramblings.

I am waiting to see how he ties this into gay marriage... :laugh:

Originally posted by KLSuddeth
would that mean that I could have multiple husbands? Id still want DK as my bed partner, but I wouldnt mind having another to clean, another to cook, another to buy me even more stuff (because Im a materialistic biotch dontcha know) and so on.

Ha-ha. I often get my girlfriend to dress up like a French maid, it's the closest I get to cheating on her...

I dont want to CHEAT on dk - I just want an entourage of men to take care of my every wish insofar as cleaning, cooking, etc. That way DK doesnt have to leave the bedroom as much.

I can be every bit as sexist as a man. Its a hobby of mine...

I dont want to CHEAT on dk - I just want an entourage of men to take care of my every wish insofar as cleaning, cooking, etc. That way DK doesnt have to leave the bedroom as much.

I can be every bit as sexist as a man. Its a hobby of mine...

Understood.;)

I see no reason to proscribe polyamorous relationships (that covers polygamy- 2or more wives, polyandry- 2or more husbands and various mixes of husbands and wives). I'm sure you are all surprised by that heh. Yes, it is exponentionally more complex than a 1 on 1 relationship but it has the potential to be exponentially more supportive as well. I would not recommend it for anyone without a superior capacity in areas such as understanding of their partners, emotional stability, responsibility and other areas I'm sure. just as not every monogamous relationship is guaranteed to work polyamorous relationships can fail too, but I see no reason to deny anyone the right to try. Heinlein used this model in more than one of his stories (sci fi), "time enough for love" being my favorite.

Hey KL I may take a couple of husbands like that too !!
I need a hubby just to do laundry !! :clap:

Personally. I see polygamy as better than the homosexual marriage. Becuase the purpose of marriage is to create a family and produce children. Polygamy atleast provides for that. I also think its rather silly that men can get four women pregnant and run away, but if he married them all and took care of them and their offspring it would be illegal. Seems a bit silly.

Regardless, my personal view on the matter is you either have to be inspired of God or a lunatic to marry more than one woman anyway.:D

Originally posted by Sandy73

AMEN SISTER!

Originally posted by Sandy73

You really think you are going to get a guy to do laundry? what would happen is youd probably end up having twice as much to clean yourself.

Forum List

Back