Polygamy

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by OCA, May 22, 2004.

?

Polygamy? Viable and safe option to traditional 1 man 1 woman?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Do you consider polygamy to be a viable and safe alternative to a traditional 1 man and 1 woman unit?

2. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    It's certainly viable. What do you mean by safe?

3. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Ok Zhukov is it safe as far as children are concerned? Is it conducive to a healthy mental state? Do you think the petty jealousies and other ailments that afflict a traditional marriage from time to time would not be magnified? It certainly is viable, hell anybody can get married a bunch of times and have them all living under 1 roof, David Koresh did it although if they were legally married or not i'm not sure but same type of deal, but I don't know any man in his right mind who wants more than 1 wife so there would have to be some sort of brainwashing involved to keep everybody on the same page. It goes without saying though that it is illegal throughout the U.S. although i'm not sure if Utah doesn't have some weird statute concerning it considering all the Mormons there and their obsession with it by some members.

Anyway polygamy is so far out in leftfield in modern society and so ancient in its thinking its hardly worth mentioning. BTW are you a supporter of it? You didn't mention 1 way or the other.

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Are you asking if it should be legal ? I assume by "safe" you meant " Is it a threat to the 1 male--1 female traditional family unit? "

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I say no but that is based on my religious beliefs. Besides, I have enough trouble trying to keep one wife happy.

6. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    No Dildo, think of the problems a traditional marriage goes through then magnify that times how many wifes. Also think of the children, the myriad of posssible problems are too many to mention, just think on it for a while.

7. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I think it would probably be safe for children. As opposed to same-sex marriages where a child is legally deprived of a mother or father, in this case they would have both, multiple in the case of the mother.

Conducive to a healthy mental state? Considering men are hardwired against monogamy, it might be better for the man. I have no idea how a woman would feel. Absent some type of strong religious conviction, I doubt they would prefer it.

There might be the creation of jealousies between wives, but the wives could talk amongst themselves concerning any problems they may have with the husband. But, having not been involved in a relationship with mutiple women (well...) I could only theorize on what sort of drama could ensue.

I believe Mormons only supported polygamy in the early days when their were many more women than men in their....collectives. Some Morons still do support it, but I don't believe the church does.

I don't know.

But I did vote yes.

8. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    The official position of Mormonism for the first years of their religion were that Joseph Smith (founder of Mormonism) had a divine revalation that polygamy was OK. The reasoning behind it was that Mormonism teaches that there are a finite number of people waiting to be born, and the sooner that they are all born, the sooner Jesus would return. So polygamy was instituted.
    However, after the Mormons had settled Utah and were applying for statehood, Congress balked because of polygamy. The leading prophet of Mormonism at the time (whose name escapes me) then had another revelation that outlawed polygamy, and the official church doctrine banned it.
    The fallout from this can still be felt today. First, on the issue itself, there are many fundamentalist Mormons who believe that polygamy is still OK, and they still practice it. Second, it questions the other "revelations" of Joseph Smith. Was he wrong about polygamy? If so, what other "revelations" was he wrong about? Or did God change his mind about it? If so, what else has the Mormon God changed his mind about?

9. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Haha........those crazy mormons. Part of me says, let them have multiple wives, what do I care.

10. KLSuddeth

KLSuddeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    would that mean that I could have multiple husbands? Id still want DK as my bed partner, but I wouldnt mind having another to clean, another to cook, another to buy me even more stuff (because Im a materialistic biotch dontcha know) and so on.