Polygamy is unfair to women

In the aggregate, polygamy grossly exploits women, and frequently leads to the forced marriage of underaged girls because of unavoidable mathematics.

This means a rational reason can be provided for banning polygamy, which differs from the irrational reasons given for banning gay marriage.

Thus, same sex marriages and polygamous marriages are apples and oranges.

Polygamy is illegal right now so this claim does not work.

You don't know what would happen if it were legal.

The only people practicing it are those who are in the shadows.

Nope. Polygamy is legal in several countries.

It exploits women and leads to children being forced to marry.

I believe you are making reference to countries such as the middle east.

Where they have a low and exploiting attitude towards woman anyway.

Correct ?

This may be a chicken-and-egg problem. Did polygamy lead to low and exploitative attitudes toward women, or did low and exploitative attitudes toward women lead to polygamy.

Polygamy in the Middle East has been around for millennia, so it may very well be the former.

If polygamy is allowed, then women can have more than one husband.

There are dominant and magnetic women that tend to attract weak and insecure men like moths to the fire.

Have you ever wondered why polygamy never happens that way? It is usually one man many women.

Never happens where 1 woman many husbands?
It occurs in India.

Have you not realized, all social counter-examples exist in or around India!

"I suspect that one day the Democratic Party will support polygamy because, well, they have to because if gays can get married then so do multiple men and women. "

This fails as a false comparison fallacy, a straw man fallacy, and a slippery slope fallacy.

It also exhibits ignorance of the law, ignorance of the issue, and a lack of sound reasoning skills.

The Fourteenth Amendment jurisprudence that compelled the states to allow same-sex couples access to marriage law has nothing whatsoever to do with ‘polygamy.’

Moreover, ‘polygamy’ is already legal in all 50 states, it is nothing more than living together, where no marriage law in any of the states can accommodate three or more persons.

"I suspect that one day the Democratic Party will support polygamy because, well, they have to because if gays can get married then so do multiple men and women. "

This fails as a false comparison fallacy, a straw man fallacy, and a slippery slope fallacy.

It also exhibits ignorance of the law, ignorance of the issue, and a lack of sound reasoning skills.

The Fourteenth Amendment jurisprudence that compelled the states to allow same-sex couples access to marriage law has nothing whatsoever to do with ‘polygamy.’

Moreover, ‘polygamy’ is already legal in all 50 states, it is nothing more than living together, where no marriage law in any of the states can accommodate three or more persons.

Absolutely right.

But not allowing gays to get married somehow denied people so-called "human rights".

There is no difference here.

In the aggregate, polygamy grossly exploits women, and frequently leads to the forced marriage of underaged girls because of unavoidable mathematics.

This means a rational reason can be provided for banning polygamy, which differs from the irrational reasons given for banning gay marriage.

Thus, same sex marriages and polygamous marriages are apples and oranges.

Polygamy is illegal right now so this claim does not work.

You don't know what would happen if it were legal.

The only people practicing it are those who are in the shadows.

Nope. Polygamy is legal in several countries.

It exploits women and leads to children being forced to marry.

I believe you are making reference to countries such as the middle east.

Where they have a low and exploiting attitude towards woman anyway.

Correct ?

This may be a chicken-and-egg problem. Did polygamy lead to low and exploitative attitudes toward women, or did low and exploitative attitudes toward women lead to polygamy.

Polygamy in the Middle East has been around for millennia, so it may very well be the former.

I suspect you are correct. Simply because even in this country I see the same attitudes on the part of people of certain cultural backgrounds even though they have only one wife.

I was thinking

If the women get along and they can bear sharing one man, and let say he has all the perks that the women like, ok. Then how does this degrade women?

I have seen situations in which girls shared the same boyfriend and they knew about each other before the male found out.

In other words, women do not approach relationships like us.

Forum List

Back