Poll: The most unpopular institution in America? The Republican Party

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DeadCanDance, Aug 14, 2007.

1. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    After six years of George Bush, right-wing control of Congress, neoconservative dominance, corruption, Katrina response, budget deficits, and the Iraq War, what is the most disliked institution in America?

Answer: the Republican Party

2. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    At least the military is favorable. They put up with so much shit.

3. actsnoblemartin

actsnoblemartin I love Andrea & April

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    I am really saddended by your hatred of the conservatives and republican party, and your need to lump us all together.

4. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Hard to believe there's only 9 institutions in America. Even harder to believe that the Republican Party is more unpopular than the Ku Klux Klan, eh?

5. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I was actually thinking of bringing up this example...but really I'm not sure they deserve the name of an "institution". But your point still stands.

6. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Wow, talk about distorting something. I concur with Semper Fi. Surely there are more institutions than that. Big tobacco, big oil, just to name a couple.

That and 42% approval rating (which is almost half the population) isn't exactley a scatheing indictment of the Republican party. Given the political split in this country that's not much lower than it should be.

Few questions also that i can't get libs to answer?

What's a neo-con? Is it a mythical creature like a leprachaun? I can't see that I've ever seen either.

The Katrina response had nothing to do with management at the state level?

7. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservative

Katrina had to do with failures on both the state and the national level. But when a disaster that large happens, the feds need to step in and help out...they dropped the ball. Before trying to "get libs to anwser" really simple questions, you should do some research on your own.

8. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Last I checked, "feds" meant everyone on the federal level of government. Therefore, any national failures dealing with the "feds" includes Democrats, Republicans, and everyone in between. It's not fair to only limit blame for whatever failures occurred during Katrina to Republicans, or even the "feds," especially when the initiative for preparing for an obviously large-scale disaster beforehand depends largely on local initiative (by state and local governments, that is).

9. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Whose responsibility is it to deal with federal disasters? Its generally the executives...a.k.a. Bush. FEMA is run by Bush, not Congress. Bush declares it a federal disaster area, not Congress. Yes there are differences between the failures of preparing for Katrina, and the failures of properly responding to it, and I think that politicians in general have to share the blame for failing to prepare for it...but I think Bush has the lions share in the federal government for the failure to respond to it properly.

10. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    The Governor of the State refused to ask for Military help for over 3 days. Then blamed the Current admin for NOT invading her State and usurping her power. Now IF the military had moved before she requested it, we would be hearing how the evil Bush was trying to take over State Governments.

The mayor of the City of New Orleans IGNORED advice to evacuate until the day just before the strom hit, then refused to use the busses at his disposal to move people that had no way out, THEN after the story got out DEMANDED the US Government confiscate all the greyhound busses in the US and help his " people".

The Police in New Orleans provided NO protection at the location for people to gather for shelter, the city provided no water and no food at those locations, further the city did not even inform FEMA of all the locations, but afterwards demanded to know why FEMA couldn't move food , water and security to a city cut off from land and most air travel. The city police abandoned their jobs and some looted along with the mobs. County police blocked roads and bridges out of the city still intact and at gun point ordered survivors back into the city. The Governor placed most of the State National Guard troops with her OUTSIDE the city, to protect her ass. Then the city police seized private citizens weapons to prevent them from defending their property from thugs, thieves and looters. A US Representative commandered National Guard troops and vehicles to "rescue" HIS private property and his illegal money gotten from bribes.

FEMA had assets in the city with in hours of the storm passing, but could not move prepositioned supplies in for several days because the land links were out, the airports were down and there was no quick way to get material in. BUT with in 3 days they were in New Orleans in force.

The main problems in that State were caused BY the State and local officials.