Poll: More blame Obama for poor economy, unemployment

Its so simple folks.

If the economy and jobs are improved by Nov 2010 or 2012 The Prez will get the credit.

If they ain't.

Well he'll get the blame.

Thats politics.

Thats the way it always has worked. When Reagan was struggling with the economy that Carter left him....he took the blame and had a 38% approval rating

When the economy recovered.........he was given the credit

[
You obviously ignored the unemployment figures, stock market prices, decline in GDP during the last six months of Bush. You also ignored the reversal of these numbers two months after Obama took office

No, I have not.

Private sector unemployment decreased (again) in March, which I have pointed out in a couple of other threads today.

The recession, which began in 2007, should have bottomed out by late 2008 - instead, the Obama policies have prolonged it. Increasing taxes and expanding government suppress private sector recovery, which is exactly what is happening today.

Thanks for making my point. The recession began in 2007 and was ignored by president Bush. He did not even acknowledge a recession existed until Nov 2008. Yes, if he had taken immediate action it would have bottomed out in 2008.

Obama did not take office until 2009

Ok, I thought I was the only person who noticed that. I was about to say, if it should've bottomed out by 2008, and it didn't, how could that possibly be Obama's fault, who was not in office?

[
You obviously ignored the unemployment figures, stock market prices, decline in GDP during the last six months of Bush. You also ignored the reversal of these numbers two months after Obama took office

No, I have not.

Private sector unemployment decreased (again) in March, which I have pointed out in a couple of other threads today.

The recession, which began in 2007, should have bottomed out by late 2008 - instead, the Obama policies have prolonged it. Increasing taxes and expanding government suppress private sector recovery, which is exactly what is happening today.

Thanks for making my point. The recession began in 2007 and was ignored by president Bush. He did not even acknowledge a recession existed until Nov 2008. Yes, if he had taken immediate action it would have bottomed out in 2008.

President Bush took action early 2008. Action that did not work, but action non-the-less. It was the wrong move by him and I said so back then. Giving people $500 when there is a recession will, at best. give them some cash to fall back on when they need it. They will not go out and buy things they do not absolutley need during a recession. So it was a failure, and a waste of time.

However, passing legislation that will increase taxes on those that create jobs is also not the answer in my eyes. And I emphasize "IN MY EYES".

My answer?

Allow the market to correct itself. Not referring to the stock market. I am referring to the marketplace in general. It always corrects itself in time. Demand for goods increases as obsolescence of existing goods increases and only time allows that to happen.

Agian, my opinion. Call me an idiot, call me a right wing loon, call me a talking point regurgitator or call me Sal.

This is one stance I feel pretty confident about; but I am open to someone showing me how I may be wrong.

No, I have not.

Ok, I thought I was the only person who noticed that. I was about to say, if it should've bottomed out by 2008, and it didn't, how could that possibly be Obama's fault, who was not in office?

recession: A period of general economic decline; typically defined as a decline in GDP for two or more consecutive quarters.

recession Definition

The 2008/2009 recession is seeing private consumption fall for the first time in nearly 20 years. This indicates the depth and severity of the current recession. With consumer confidence so low, recovery will take a long time. Consumers in the U.S. have been hard hit by the current recession, with the value of their houses dropping and their pension savings decimated on the stock market. Not only have consumers watched their wealth being eroded – they are now fearing for their jobs as unemployment rises.

Recession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A housing crisis, brought on by Congressional meddling in home financing, caused credit to be tighten in the commerical and personal environment. That credit tightening caused a contraction in consumer spending, which, in turn, caused job losses. Despite a stimulus effort, we are thirteen months past when credit was supposed to be easing. Unemployment has continued to grow. At best we have seen brief periods of slower job losses.

And without that unemployment, many may take that job for 12 an hour working at the 7-11.

With that unemployment, many say "why make only 12 an hour".

Argue it if you wish Truthmatters, but this is fact.

Those that want to; those that need to; those that have to, will always do what they gotta do.

If you were unemployed and you did not have unemployment, and you did not have money in the bank, would you not take that $12 an hour job?

recession: A period of general economic decline; typically defined as a decline in GDP for two or more consecutive quarters.

And since the GDP has been positive for THREE consecutive quarters, we are out of a recession

Thanks President Obama!

More ECONOMIC GOOD NEWS

First of all, even the constitution recognizes that the point of government is to protect the rights and liberties of the people. Otherwise, we'd just live in anarchic blocs of people and self govern ourselves, and we as a collective species moved AWAY from that. I don't know why you would want to go BACK into decadence, poverty and technological stupidity all to say that you can run around naked without anyone yelling at you.

AS for as economic certainty, in a capitalist, liberal democratic state, i expect the state to facilitate conditions so that the market can work as freely as possible while being bound by the natural constraints that liberal democracies provide. These constraints aren't bad, they prevent irresponsible policies of a few who may hold temporary power from affecting the quality of life for the whole who hold PERMANENT power through their voting voice. WE voted these initial regulations and institutions in.

WE are the government. I'm tired of this older generation trying to distance themselves and cause some type of weird divide. I didn't sell my soul to the government, I AM the government. You ARE the government.

American's seem to have forgotten why we founded this country. We're not supposed to be afraid of OUR government, because we designed the AMERICAN government to be one of the PEOPLE. The reason we are slowly losing control to private interests, lobbying groups and political parties is because we are slowly allowing outside sources to compose our government. We are allowing our complacency and our rising standard of living to dull our minds and strengthen our bones.

I won't allow it. My generation is one in which we have grown up with a War on an ideology, American standing has fallen, and we are at a moment where we can regain our position as leaders and innovators, or we can begin a slow decline from hegemon to simple world power. I'm not willing to see America's status falter, but i'm also not willing to stick to ideological idiocies.

It's time to stop being defeatist and realize that our country operated like that just fine up until about 80 years ago (I really detest Woodrow Wilson, ironic as a democrat). We were providing ourselves with unbiased information and making smart economic plans for economic certainty. WE did this by electing and voting for officials who would represent these interests based on clear cut information that was far harder to pollute and dilute due to the limited amount of channels then (Books, telegrams, etc).

This is the true problem, alarmist like you, who fail to recognize that fear of the government in AMERICA means fear of yourself, fear of your neighbor, and fear of the power you all hold as one nation. Until you learn this simple fact, you'll mistake it for government takeover, but once you have learned this, you'll understand that WE should be the government, as it was designed to be, not the interests we are slowly allowing to usurp our political thrones.

Seriously, kid. SaveLiberty is right.... it's time to grow up. There ain't nothing new under the sun and your generation is not somehow more special than any other that's gone before you. All this philosophy has been hashed and rehashed. Today's Progressivism, for example isn't much more that warmed-over, Mussolini-styled fascism, which was quite lauded in its day. And wow, did you ever let loose your inner fascist in telling us what YOU are willing to "allow". :lol:

Your trust in Big Government is sorely misplaced. Progressives are NOT about "We The People". They're about strong central government and cookie-cutter law. They fail to notice that good government comes from the bottom up, not from the top down. At the state and local level, your voice is strong, you have more control over your immediate environment. At the central level, your vote is diluted, your community far-removed from power and unimportant in the grand scheme of national politics.

If progressives were really about sovereign citizenship... they'd be federalists. (We call those 'anarchic blocs of self-governance' States, btw. :lol: )

The founders knew the dangers of an overly strong central government. And they knew that Democracy was no counter to it. Pure democracy always fails. It's "two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch". Democracy can only work when utilized within the confines of agreed-upon and established law. And not just any law. Not arbitrary law.

"But the most foolish notion of all is the belief that everything is just which is found in the customs of laws of nations.... What of the many deadly, the many pestilential statutes which nations put in force? These no more deserve to be called laws than the rules a band of robbers might pass in their assembly. For if ignorant and unskillful men have prescribed deadly poisons instead of healing drugs, these cannot possibly be called physicians' prescriptions; neither in a nation can a statute of any sort be called a law, even though the nation, in spite of being a ruinous regulation has accepted it.
-Cicero

Anyway, before I post a tome... my point is that you kids think you're reinventing the wheel. But all your grand schemes are either tried and failed, or pondered upon and discarded. YOU are not Cicero. You're not Benjamin Franklin. And while your weight in human value might be the same as theirs... the weight of your philosophy is not.

And without that unemployment, many may take that job for 12 an hour working at the 7-11.

Those that want to; those that need to; those that have to, will always do what they gotta do.

If you were unemployed and you did not have unemployment, and you did not have money in the bank, would you not take that $12 an hour job?

How can you take a job that doesnt exsist?

Who takes the job that does not pay enough to cover childcare?

These people SPEND this money which keeps the economy from sinking further.

The "MAGIC" market some people talk about is not so magic for the people living in it.
Yes the market will eventually take care of itsself but many people starve to death while it takes care of ITSSELF!

recession Definition

The 2008/2009 recession is seeing private consumption fall for the first time in nearly 20 years. This indicates the depth and severity of the current recession. With consumer confidence so low, recovery will take a long time. Consumers in the U.S. have been hard hit by the current recession, with the value of their houses dropping and their pension savings decimated on the stock market. Not only have consumers watched their wealth being eroded – they are now fearing for their jobs as unemployment rises.

Recession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A housing crisis, brought on by Congressional meddling in home financing, caused credit to be tighten in the commerical and personal environment. That credit tightening caused a contraction in consumer spending, which, in turn, caused job losses. Despite a stimulus effort, we are thirteen months past when credit was supposed to be easing. Unemployment has continued to grow. At best we have seen brief periods of slower job losses.

Good points, but they require an accurate recollection of history and contextualization to realize that while all those "biggest" and "most" adjectives seems extreme, they truly aren't.

For example, of course private consumption was destined to fall off, we were growing at what was historically an unsustainable rate due to our unemployement consistently being above 3%, something many economists thought wasn't possible. In addition, the dot com bubble of 90s, proceeded by the IT revolution (for when we look back in twenty or thirty years, 2000-2010 will surely be perceived as a revolutionary decade for information systems), help spurn and diffuse growth globally, which in turn bolstered our economy again.

Of course, when a global recession occurs, this will cause an inverse effect. Fortunately, we have capped job losses (which, in 2008 were projected to balloon to possible percentages of 11-13%, I can find those articles if you require citation), the economy is growing, and now we need to shore up financial regulations so we can proceed to allow the market to do its workings. The market however, has NEVER operated independently or fixed itself. I would argue, and can support with historical anecdotes from the time of Adam Smith down to Tim Geithner, that government intervention (both national and international) have always affected the market since the inception and acceptance of smith's modified capitalist system we use today.

Once again, I don't understand how you can say the measures implemented less than a year ago to stem one of the world's greatest recessions that WORKED is a failure. Historically governments (at least U.S. and many of our Western european allies) have difficulties creating jobs. What they should instead be focused on is making certain the current regulations are as non intrusive as possible while still being strong and encouraging job growth in emerging markets like alternative energy, nano technology, and others that will strengthen our global position in the future.

And since the GDP has been positive for THREE consecutive quarters, we are out of a recession

Thanks President Obama!

More ECONOMIC GOOD NEWS

Recession: I blame the marketplace

Recovery: I credit the marketplace

Relief during hard times: I thank the American people

Exactly how much money did President Obama spend of his own to help those that struggled? How much did he spend to stimulate the economy?

If, in fact, we are out of the recession, I thank the American people for helping those in need during these very difficult times.

One day people will get off of the coattails of their respective parties and give credit to those who deserve the credit.

Themselves.

The "MAGIC" market some people talk about is not so magic for the people living in it.
Yes the market will eventually take care of itsself but many people starve to death while it takes care of ITSSELF!

Yes, I know.

But few if any starve to death.

Americans do what they gotta do.

I hear stories of homeless that freeze to death. Never do I hear anything about those that starve to death.

I believe (and I say believe) that is just a talking point.

Americans do what they gotta do. We always have and we always will. Unless, of course, we find an easier way. Like a sugar daddy?

What action did Bush do in early 2008?

Tax rebates.

and you did not even mention the bailouts of late 2008?

This was very near the only thing Bush did that helped this mess. Unfortunately they did them in such a manner as to limmit the recourse for the American people to being paid back and even gain from the mess. We could have made some damn money from these bastards and punished them all at once.

Yes, I know.

But few if any starve to death.

Americans do what they gotta do.

I hear stories of homeless that freeze to death. Never do I hear anything about those that starve to death.

I believe (and I say believe) that is just a talking point.

Americans do what they gotta do. We always have and we always will. Unless, of course, we find an easier way. Like a sugar daddy?

Show me one historical example where what you claimed would work worked?

Forum List

Back