Poll: Dropping the Rep System: good or bad?

What do you think will be the effect of dropping the Rep system?

• Good riddance -- Rep was used to get nasty under the surface

Votes: 17 20.0%
  • Opportunity lost -- Rep was used to connect with one's adversaries positively

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • Doesn't matter-- Rep was meaningless anyway

Votes: 33 38.8%
  • Never paid attention to it or didn't use it

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters
All dropping rep has done is to create a new rewards system. It's not going to somehow transform the board into a wellspring of genteel discussion.

Just sayin'.

Yeah I agree with about 98% of that Mom O'Fox. I'd just add that having the rep system there, while it didn't make possible something we now don't have, it did facilitate handing out praise that has an actual quantity on it, a tangible reward. Yeah we can still do that but now it's an extra voluntary step (and an intangible, unquanifiable reward), and just I think that's going to cut down such praise by quite a lot because it removes the incentive to do so.

To some extent you are probably right. But then there is the brutal truth of the fact that so many of those rep comments, while mostly heartfelt, could be said on open board too. And how sincere are we if we don't make that little bit of extra effort to contact a friend when we especially want to praise or comfort or encourage or give notice to that friend? Say it on open boards when we can and allow all those who do agree confirm your remark with their thanks or likes or agree--and show the names so it's open and honest and means something. And if it is something that doesn't belong on the open board, the private conversation feature is still there.

We won't miss rep once we get used to not having it.

To some extent you are probably right. But then there is the brutal truth of the fact that so many of those rep comments, while mostly heartfelt, could be said on open board too. And how sincere are we if we don't make that little bit of extra effort to contact a friend when we especially want to praise or comfort or encourage or give notice to that friend? Say it on open boards when we can and allow all those who do agree confirm your remark with their thanks or likes or agree--and show the names so it's open and honest and means something. And if it is something that doesn't belong on the open board, the private conversation feature is still there.

We won't miss rep once we get used to not having it.

Actually I would do both if I really liked or related to what somebody posted -- give 'em a pump on the board and send a rep, often with an emphasis to amplify how much I liked it. I'm not talking about secret praise.

Actually another reason to send a rep but not post in the thread would have been that the post said it all and there was nothing to add. I always thought saying nothing more substantial than "you're right" or "I agree" was a waste of bandwidth. And you know I never want to do that. :eusa_angel:

Actually I would do both if I really liked or related to what somebody posted -- give 'em a pump on the board and send a rep, often with an emphasis to amplify how much I liked it. I'm not talking about secret praise.

Actually another reason to send a rep but not post in the thread would have been that the post said it all and there was nothing to add. I always thought saying nothing more substantial than "you're right" or "I agree" was a waste of bandwidth. And you know I never want to do that. :eusa_angel:

I do too when warranted. But it something we can do without the rep function that really did become something of a status symbol unrelated to anything we contributed to the board. I won't miss that aspect of it.

We can breathe easy now, knowing that the light has been shined on us, knowing without pretense that we are people without reputation.

I really liked the rep system. I liked being able to give rep to worthy posts and to posters who, while I may not agree with their politics, I found common ground with on other issues. Bummer they got rid of it.

I never neg repped anyone. I thought doing so was nothing more than a display of spite, as it was a mark attached to the member rather than to his message.

I will click on the dislike button, though, if that doesn't follow the member around. That is, if it refers entirely to his post. Does it?

Under ratings I see three categories, which I assume translates to like/agree/disagree. They will follow you around.

Under ratings I see three categories, which I assume translates to like/agree/disagree. They will follow you around.
You're probably right. It says "Likes Received." I thought it might say "Dislikes Received," too. But I see the ratings numbers correspond to the likes received numbers.

The difference I see now is that the neg reps affected the entire rep. We'll still have all the likes we receive regardless of the number of dislikes we receive.

The likes and dislikes are still comments on the message rather than on the messenger.

Actually I found those detailed in my profile page. It says they're positive ratings, neutral ratings and negative ratings. Don't know where they derive from but the second one is curious -- how would you give something a "neutral rating"? What would be the point?
dunno1.gif

The rep system would have been a great asset if it hadn't had the negative rep attached to it. Some members used the negative rep to bully people and discourage them from staying, especially if they had different opinions. It became prime to have enough rep to counter the neggers and fun to come up with ways to obtain it. It never meant much, but it created heartache for those who could no longer use it to bully others. And, yes, I'm glad it's no longer available. If the new features become a tool for those who are only here to create havoc, then creative ways to counter it will have to be devised and it will also become of no value.

I'm sad to see it go. I disabled mine so the people unable to articulate an argument couldnt neg me and release their frustrations. I'm going to miss being called names because I had it off.

Rep system was really destroyed by the rep whoring groups around here that simply reped each other to build that number up. Pointless in the long run. Same will be true of the new rep system that is in place now. I did like the ability to basically give a fist bump to a poster that managed to articulate a good post. The new system is just like the thanks system - just not the same as rep was.

The rep system would have been a great asset if it hadn't had the negative rep attached to it. Some members used the negative rep to bully people and discourage them from staying, especially if they had different opinions. It became prime to have enough rep to counter the neggers and fun to come up with ways to obtain it. It never meant much, but it created heartache for those who could no longer use it to bully others. And, yes, I'm glad it's no longer available. If the new features become a tool for those who are only here to create havoc, then creative ways to counter it will have to be devised and it will also become of no value.
One of the things I liked about the rep system. You had to EARN that shinny red star. Having one gave me a heads up in what to expect if they actually made a post worthy of responding to as the follow up was certainly going to be garbage.

Glad it's gone. As I've said in other threads, one can still recreate the positive experience of a rep point by simply sending a private message to the person or praising them publicly in the thread itself. This way, however, nobody can privately send nasty messages to people. Now they'll either have to grow up or let everybody see how they really act.

I didn't respond to the poll because my response to it isn't offered there. I will miss hitting the rep button on posts that I really do want to give the recipient a word of encouragement or sympathy or appreciation or praise or privately laugh with them or whatever and it is an almost effortless way to do that.

But the honest side of me clearly informs me that I can still do that--I'll just have to make that extra bit of effort to open a private conversation box to do it. Will I do it as much? I think I will for those things that are inappropriate on the open board. But without the rep feature I expect to use the open board more for appropriate comments that can be placed there.

It feels to get rep from a friend or especially from a 'stranger' who happened to appreciate one of your posts. It feels good to give rep. But I won't miss the mostly unintended obligatory aspect of it--those who expect to get rep back for rep given.

I will enjoy not trying to remember who I 'owe' rep to and it will be a time saver not having to open a gazillion PMs that are rep notifications with no personal comment or those that just say 'thanks for the rep.' All are appreciated--but can be expressed in different ways.

I have enjoyed being able to give a visible thanks to good posts at another site and it is just as meaningful as rep. Evenmoreso because all can see that the person got it and rightfully so. I hope those who give the 'likes' and 'agrees' here will be made visible here too.
tl;dr

Forum List

Back