Poll: Do You Support Extending Unemployment Beyond 99 Weeks?

Do You Support Extending Unemployment Beyond 99 Weeks?

• YES

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • NO

Votes: 47 77.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think that I voted yes, under the condition that Congress cut some other social spending program to PAY for this extrension.

Sorry if my yes vote skewed the results.

How about cutting the social spending we're doing in the ASIAN land wars we're currently pissing money away on?

You down with that?

And I respond with AGAIN as no one opts to address it.....

Exactly how will that help small and medium sized firms that ALSO need to put into the system with every extension?

That is a large unexpected burden that could tip them overt the edge. Certainly it will cost others their jobs as well.

Why is everyone avoiding addressing this?

On top of those "slave wages" there is the cost to build a factory there and the cost to proodcue there (taxes, etc) and the cost to ship back to the US.

So I again ask, what prompted those employers to ship the jobs overseas?

Maybe the unions got a little greedy with those "for life" benefits that no one else gets?

Everything the companies have given the unions was worked for and agreed upon. In all cases, the employees gave up something for a secure retirement, ie, lower wages currently, no increase or a low increase in wages, etc. Now you think those companies, after getting the work out of the workers shouldn't have to keep up their end of the bargain?

Unions accepted a certain package of wages and benefits.
What happens when companies cannot pay those wages and benefits anymore? Two possibilities: THe company closes, throwing all the workers out of work. The company renegotiates its contract, allowing them to continue to employ people, albeit at lower wages and benefits.
Which would you choose? There's no real third choice.

Of course there is, stop borrowing from the retirement plans...turn the laws back to pre-1970's when they had to put those funds into retirement plans and couldn't borrow from them to help the company.

But of course, there's your way, where the workers give and the corporations just take advantage...nothing like virtual slave labor Long live America and it's lack of freedom thanks to giving the rights of the individual to corporations.

7/01 The number of people filing first-time claims for unemployment benefits climbed 13,000 in the latest week to 472,000, indicating continued weakness in the labor market.

No worries folks, since benefits are expiring for hundreds of thousands the total "unemployed" will be reduced in the coming weeks. Spare some change?

I do not support extending unemployment benefits beyond 99 weeks. Some other type of assistance may be appropriate, but I think continuing this benefit ignores the problem is really a shift in the global economy. At ninety-nine weeks you are either not employable, in the wrong location, lazy, not able to make ends meet on the lower wage or global economics are in play. Best to figure out which and move on.

Yeah. that's what people who lost their jobs are thinking! How on earth can I just sit here for a while longer?

If that's what you truly believe, then I submit you have never lost a job and watched your family wonder if and when the next meal will be served.

You've surveyed every single unemployed person and found they all fit this category, right? You never came across some 20-somthing who said "gov't paid holiday, let's party!"? You never came across someone else who said, "i've got 2 months severance plus unemployment. I can afford to wait for the right job" right?
Because that is exactly what happens.
Wow! you're right! Because some twenty something sees unemployment as a paid vacation, those benefits should be denied to a forty something with two kids and a mortgage! Brilliant solution!

While we're at it, let's stop all housing assistance to everyone because there are a few folks abusing that system!

baby? gone with the bathwater.

I personally have 3 friends around around age 45, two with kids who think it is a vacation. My wife has at least 50 financial clients who think the same. Many of these people work on the side for cash. One of my friends was really pissed when one of the companies he applied for hired him. Since August he was 5 months on unemployment & was looking foreword to taking the entire summer off. Just last week he told me he got himself let go again so he could continue to enjoy the summer.

Last edited:
You've surveyed every single unemployed person and found they all fit this category, right? You never came across some 20-somthing who said "gov't paid holiday, let's party!"? You never came across someone else who said, "i've got 2 months severance plus unemployment. I can afford to wait for the right job" right?
Because that is exactly what happens.
Wow! you're right! Because some twenty something sees unemployment as a paid vacation, those benefits should be denied to a forty something with two kids and a mortgage! Brilliant solution!

While we're at it, let's stop all housing assistance to everyone because there are a few folks abusing that system!

baby? gone with the bathwater.

I personally have 3 friends around around age 45, two with kids who think it is a vacation. My wife has at least 50 financial clients who think the same. Many of these people work on the side for cash. One of my friends was really pissed when one of the companies he applied for hired him. Since August he was 5 months on unemployment & was looking foreword to taking the entire summer off. Just last week he told me he got himself let go again so he could continue to enjoy the summer.
and everyone knows a fall down drunk. Should we bring back prohibition?

I think that I voted yes, under the condition that Congress cut some other social spending program to PAY for this extrension.

Sorry if my yes vote skewed the results.

But what about the small and mid sized companies that will have their unemployment burden put them over the top?

It is not as cut and dry as congress eliminating other expenses. What about the businesses? We have already cut all other expenses to bare bones minimum.
We have no leeway.

This is a fair point. But doesn't the business stop contributing to an employee's unemployment insurance once they are laid off? :confused:

Are you a business owner?

After I leave the Army I hope unemployment gets extended indef!!! I mean if you cant beat them join em!!! I cant wait to get paid to do nothing!!! America is aweome!!!

Only if we cut from some of the dumb things we are paying for to pay for it.

No. I think that provides more than enough time to find a new job or make alternative plans.

While some small percentage of these unemployed Americans are slackers the vast majority of them are not and I am concerned about what they are going to do when those minimal Unemployment checks are stopped. So I support extending their eligibility period and we can finance it by suspending Israel's annual $3 billion welfare check. And if need be we can start hacking away at a lot more "foreign aid" and start aiding our own.

Another thing we can do is knock off the goddam drug war which produces more harm than good.

I'm also in favor of confiscating any individual personal assets in excess of twenty million dollars and restoring the progressive income tax to a maximum level of 90%.

Anyone else have suggestions?

While some small percentage of these unemployed Americans are slackers the vast majority of them are not and I am concerned about what they are going to do when those minimal Unemployment checks are stopped. So I support extending their eligibility period and we can finance it by suspending Israel's annual $3 billion welfare check. And if need be we can start hacking away at a lot more "foreign aid" and start aiding our own.

Another thing we can do is knock off the goddam drug war which produces more harm than good.

I'm also in favor of confiscating any individual personal assets in excess of twenty million dollars and restoring the progressive income tax to a maximum level of 90%.

Yeah.
I suggest you go fuck yourself.

99 weeks seemed to not be enough.The GOP's crime in all this was to ask...How do we pay for it?
My question is what happened to the stimulus? where are the jobs?...Did someone think to ask the President that?...and finally my last question,how long do we extend the benefit? If 99 weeks aren't enough what is...199.299,399...

99 weeks seemed to not be enough.The GOP's crime in all this was to ask...How do we pay for it?
My question is what happened to the stimulus? where are the jobs?...Did someone think to ask the President that?...and finally my last question,how long do we extend the benefit? If 99 weeks aren't enough what is...199.299,399...

"To infinity and beyond!" - Buzz Lightyear

Why don't you suggest that to all those filthy rich democrats in congress?

Democrats make-up 8 of the 10 richest members in congress. Democrats also make-up 9 of the 12 members of congress worth over the $20 million threshold who's assets you suggest we confiscate.

50richestchart2009.jpg

Last edited:

Yeah. Quit being pea green with envy and quit worrying that someone else has more money than you do.

Yeah. Quit being pea green with envy and quit worrying that someone else has more money than you do.

Yeah, if you're starving to death it's your own fault, even though you worked the master's field. It's not his fault he has so much more than you.

Please, no country can long survive with such a huge income gap.

Forum List

Back