Poll: 85% of GOP approve of Trump's emergency to build the wall

Yes, referring to the use of national emergency powers as opposed to going through Congress the way he should.

The law Trump used WAS PASSED BY CONGRESS.

That is how it is SUPPOSED to work.

Congress can pass a resolution denying the emergency, Trump can veto it, and Congress can vote to override the veto.

That is EXACTLY how the Constitution says it is supposed to work.

My Gawd, try reading the law sometime.

Try reading the Constitution. This is how it works.

“No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.”
— U.S. Constitution, Article I, section 9, clause 7

The Constitution has priority over a law. The Constitution says the Congress has the power of the purse. Even Alan Dershowitz agrees that Congress' refusal to fund something is not a emergency.
/----/ "The Constitution says the Congress has the power of the purse."
That's odd because libtards are always saying Trump increased the deficit with wild spending.

Trump and the Republicans are responsible for the increasing deficit just as Obama and Republicans in Congress were responsible for increasing the deficit. In both instances, Congress passed and the President signed.
/——/ What was the reaction from the Left when Trimp refused to sign the CR and let the Gubmint shutdown? Go ahead tell us the reaction.

The interesting number here is that 15% don't.
I dont find that interesting or surprising.
Well, given the fact that Trump has zero votes to spare after having lost the popular vote, it's a potential electoral concern for him.
/——/ What does the meaningless popular vote have to do with Trump?
Nothing. All that matters to him is his base.

The rest of us are looking at a larger picture.

You mean the Things-finally-getting-fixed picture?

OK, I buy that.
Whatever works for ya.
lol, oh come on Mac.

The Political class has been play fighting these problems for decades, turning every 'crisis' into a 'War on _____________' government industry.

Finally Trump is trying to fix these issues rather than merely managing them.

I love that about him enough to overlook him being a Yankee til he leaves office.

You mean the Things-finally-getting-fixed picture?

OK, I buy that.
Whatever works for ya.
lol, oh come on Mac.

The Political class has been play fighting these problems for decades, turning every 'crisis' into a 'War on _____________' government industry.

Finally Trump is trying to fix these issues rather than merely managing them.

I love that about him enough to overlook him being a Yankee til he leaves office.
A wall is a band aid. It will come down when the Democrats are able to do it. I think we all know that.

I'm not interested in band aids. I'm sick of 'em.

Band Aids, Borders, Burritos & Bejing

A wall is a band aid. It will come down when the Democrats are able to do it. I think we all know that.

Democrats have been trying to pass gun confiscation for decades as well. Cant t do it.

I think the likelihood is we will have Republican Presidents for a couple of decades if the Dems say they will take down that wall.

Hell Dems helped put most of it up under Clinton. Trump is replacing about 600 miles of fencing with bollard fence and adding another 300 to it. That is not even half of the Southern border.

Poll: 85% of GOP Approve of Trump's Emergency to Build the Wall
Eighty-five percent of Republicans approve of President Donald J. Trump’s use of national emergency powers to build the southern wall, according to a poll released on Tuesday.

THERE IS A GAWD DAM INVASION YOU PATHETIC MORONS!!
TRUTH HURTS DOESN'T SKANK TRUMP HATERS.............. THEY ONLY WEAPON YOU IDIOTS HAVE IS " IT'S FAKE" LMFAO.. OR INFOWARS SAID IT'S FAKE LMFAO OMFG

you have no idea how bad we wish we could show you what you look like in your severe stupidity and the lower plains you assholes sit on lmvao.

LOL you idiots hate Trump so bad and no matter how much you try pushing all the lies you do the truth still comes to the top and the hate ofr Democrats grows and grows and grows including your own who are stepping away from you desensitized, selfish greedy ass wants you morons want.
Republicans always hated the Constitution.

No surprise here.

Democrats have been trying to pass gun confiscation for decades as well. Cant t do it.

I think the likelihood is we will have Republican Presidents for a couple of decades if the Dems say they will take down that wall.

Hell Dems helped put most of it up under Clinton. Trump is replacing about 600 miles of fencing with bollard fence and adding another 300 to it. That is not even half of the Southern border.
You assfucks really need to learn the difference between the fencing we have & Trump's stupid 40' Concrete wall.

But hey, the next Democrat president cam call a national emergency & take your precious guns. Thanks to the Trump precedent.

Don't worry, it will be temporary & we will track them in the same manner as Trump kept track of the children he stole. Rest assured you will get them back.

You totally misunderstand the role of the Executive Branch. The president is not a monarch. The Founders made the Executive the weakest branch for a reason.
/---/ WTF? I'm responding t the idiotic notion that we want a small Gubmint except when it comes to national security (border control) and that is one of the few roles it has according to the Constitution. Your original post I'm responding to: "Shocking that those "small government conservatives" suddenly love big government when they can get what they want from it."

Yes, referring to the use of national emergency powers as opposed to going through Congress the way he should.
If the politicians that hold the purse strings were adults this wouldn't be an issue.
It wasn't an issue with past administrations....but, it certainly is now.

It wasn't an issue to this administration for the first two years either. In fact, no new walls/barriers were constructed during that time period even though they were budgeted for. Not one single inch. If it is an Emergency now then it was an Emergency now and only exasperated by the lack of construction for 2 years by the current Administration. Sounds to me like the spending bill has it about right for allocation and the requirement of the amount of addition of Wall/Barrier funding. Afterall, there is already 2.6 billion allocated to build already that hasn't been spent. Add another 1.3 (adjusted for inflation) you get the rest of the 200 miles Trump says he needs. He can still build what has been already funded. But now, he has to build the additional 55 miles as well. Call it probation for not building the damn thing in the first place in accordance with the 2006 Border Security Law. If he can't account for the 2.6 billion already budgeted then he doesn't need more money, he needs one down and dirty audit.
The monies that were allocated for border security in the past did not include, in fact, excluded the building a wall.

You forget the automatic 1.3 billion allocated for the years of 2017 and 2018 as per the 2006 Border Security Law that Does require that a certain amount of new border construction MUST be done using those funds. The 1.3 billion per year is used (notice I use the word IS, not was since the law still stands) for upgrades, repair and addition. This is why each President before Trump did an average of 73 miles of additional Wall/Barrier yet Trump did exactly Zero inches.

That law even lays out the construction methods which does include the brilliant idea that Trump claims as his own; the Slatted Wall as authorized. This is another case of Strump taking credit when it's done by someone else. He spent way too much time Ranting and Raving, Tweeting venomous tweets and Golfing to do his friggin job. Part of his job, on par with his predecessors, was to build 146 miles of NEW Wall/Barrier along the Southern Border as laid out in the 2006 Border Security Law. It was funded. And where has he spent the money? What he needs more than a National Emergency is, is a good Audit to see where he's spending this money at. I don't know about you, but, 2.6 billion dollars can buy a lot of Big Whoppers and Fries.

Trump has repaired only a few miles of the badly needed fencing/barrier/wall that needs repairing or upgrade. He's added exactly zero inches of NEW barrier/wall. He has a huge surplus from the 2.6 billion he received for this in the last 2 years. He's been too busy fighting and ranting to get any real work done to spend this money. He's been authorized to build the Slatted Steel Barrier all along as it was approved in the 2006 Border Security Act. This whole thing has been strictly amateur hour. A President is supposed to delegate this and let it happen. Like LBJ and Vietnam, Trump has ineptly micro managed the Border and got nearly as bad of an outcome. And the real total for Border Security including security fencing and walls for the border is 733 miles done by the past 2 other Presidents. The number for new additional wall/barrier/fencing for Trump is not one single inch for the last 2 years yet there has been 2.6 billion allocated for it. I can see a National Emergency on the Border but it's sitting in the White House or Golfing or Tweeting or........doing everything else instead of getting the job done on the border.

Well, given the fact that Trump has zero votes to spare after having lost the popular vote, it's a potential electoral concern for him.

Fortunately he picked up a large percentage of independents.

Which he has squandered this time around. They are up for grabs again. The Next President (for 2020) will be determined by the Dems on what kind of Candidate they present just like the last time. They screwed the pooch the last time. I don't see them making the same mistake twice. Although I have seen the Reps make that same mistake more than a few times in a row gambling that the Dems will make some pretty huge mistakes. For the most part, the Reps have been right. Don't count on it to continue forever.

Which he has squandered this time around. They are up for grabs again. The Next President (for 2020) will be determined by the Dems on what kind of Candidate they present just like the last time. They screwed the pooch the last time. I don't see them making the same mistake twice. Although I have seen the Reps make that same mistake more than a few times in a row gambling that the Dems will make some pretty huge mistakes. For the most part, the Reps have been right. Don't count on it to continue forever.

I havent seen a dem that can beat Trump.

Then you need to open your eyes. So far, there are three that have more than an even chance. Question comes up, which one will the Dems present or will they go off on another drunken bender and present another complete loser like the last time that even Trump makes look bad and that is a very hard thing to do.

Then you need to open your eyes. So far, there are three that have more than an even chance. Question comes up, which one will the Dems present or will they go off on another drunken bender and present another complete loser like the last time that even Trump makes look bad and that is a very hard thing to do.

What exactly are they going to run on is the big question. Dems have been spouting some wacked out shit these days and if their nominee agrees with the wacked out shit dems dont have a chance against Trump. And If things keep going the way they are I dont see any chance for a dem to win.

But hey, the next Democrat president cam call a national emergency & take your precious guns. Thanks to the Trump precedent.

Not, really. A call for national emergency still has to be Constitutional, so I think the gun threat is overblown. Nevertheless, I agree the precedent is not good as it is yet another power grab by the Executive that future presidents will use to their advantages and partisans will cheer them on or condemn them accordingly.

Actually no, the pertinent number is not in the headline.

Here’s the math- 25% of American voters are Republicans (3/12), 33% are democrats (4/12), and the rest are independents (5/12). Per the story
“Ninety-four percent of Democrats oppose the measure, while 63 percent of Independents disapprove of Trump’s use of executive authority to build the wall.”
Ergo-
.85 Republicans x 3/12 plus .06 democrats x 4/12 plus .37 i depends x 5/12 = ONLY 35% actually agree with Trump.

Forum List

Back