Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis

a)

CBS News senior White House correspondent Bill Plante reports there was no visible progress over the weekend, despite warnings from debt rating agencies that the nation's credit rating could drop, even if there is a deal, if government spending isn't cut.

from the link...

b) from the actual poll-

According to lthe left wing whackaloons on this board, only more debt can save us. What gives?

the thread title based naturally on the cbs site title doesn't really play fair but hey, shocker right?

51% of reps don't like what their own party is doing?

48% don't approve of obamas handling.......see what I mean? they slanted it to read exactly what they wanted the message to be, how about just as many reps are mad at their party own as there are people who think obama is not doing a good job?

Yes, the conservatives are angry about how the republicans are handling this. The house should hold the white house's monies hostage, until the Pres begs for mercy.

Fortunately this nation is not governed by push polls.

The GOP is right. IF we raise taxes we will not only not lower the deficit (because raising taxes never lowers the deficit), but we will hobble a bad economy to make it even worse.
Personally I think the GOP ought to just vote "present" on any proposal the Dems make, assuming they are capable of making them, let the economy tank completely and the Dems own the economy in time for 2012.
Of course this is what the Dems are most scared of, responsibility.

It would seem the people have a better understanding of the Framers’ original intent than House republicans, as it is Congress’ responsibility to address fiscal issues addressing matters of governmental funding, not the Executive’s.

Fortunately this nation is not governed by push polls.

The GOP is right. IF we raise taxes we will not only not lower the deficit (because raising taxes never lowers the deficit), but we will hobble a bad economy to make it even worse.
Personally I think the GOP ought to just vote "present" on any proposal the Dems make, assuming they are capable of making them, let the economy tank completely and the Dems own the economy in time for 2012.
Of course this is what the Dems are most scared of, responsibility.

If President Obama raised taxes by the largest amount in history if unemployment were over 10%, what would you say to that? Incompetent? Dangerous? Foolish?

a)

CBS News senior White House correspondent Bill Plante reports there was no visible progress over the weekend, despite warnings from debt rating agencies that the nation's credit rating could drop, even if there is a deal, if government spending isn't cut.

from the link...

b) from the actual poll-

According to lthe left wing whackaloons on this board, only more debt can save us. What gives?

Debt=money that the Fed prints which magically winds up in the hands of people.

Re the OP: "People" are brainwashed by the lib media, which remain cheerleaders for obama. Look at the news - they focus every day on the consequences of debt default, and say nothing about the effects of ever increasing debt extending infinitely into the future.

Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Americans are unimpressed with their political leaders' handling of the debt ceiling crisis, with a new CBS News poll showing a majority disapprove of all the involved parties' conduct, but Republicans in Congress fare the worst, with just 21 percent backing their resistance to raising taxes.

President Obama earned the most generous approval ratings for his handling of the weeks-old negotiations, but still more people said they disapproved (48 percent) than approved (43 percent) of what he has done and said.

Even half of the Republican respondents (51 percent) voiced disapproval of how members of their own party in Congress are handling the talks. Far fewer Democrats expressed disapproval of their own party's handling (32 percent) or President Obama's (22 percent) of the urgent quest to raise the nation's debt limit ahead of a looming default on Aug. 2 if action isn't taken.

Sixty-six percent of those polled said they believe an agreement will be reached before the Aug. 2 deadline, while only 31 percent say it's unlikely.

Thoughts USMB?

Oh this is music to my ears. :clap2:

MagsTemplate_MusicToMyEars.png

Re the OP: "People" are brainwashed by the lib media, which remain cheerleaders for obama. Look at the news - they focus every day on the consequences of debt default, and say nothing about the effects of ever increasing debt extending infinitely into the future.

Everyone's brainwashed except those who agree with you? :lol:

the thread title based naturally on the cbs site title doesn't really play fair but hey, shocker right?

51% of reps don't like what their own party is doing?

48% don't approve of obamas handling.......see what I mean? they slanted it to read exactly what they wanted the message to be, how about just as many reps are mad at their party own as there are people who think obama is not doing a good job?

Except the second thing I quoted in my OP:

President Obama earned the most generous approval ratings for his handling of the weeks-old negotiations, but still more people said they disapproved (48 percent) than approved (43 percent) of what he has done and said.

Attempt at playing victim fail. :thup:

There are far more Americans according to this poll who disagree with the GOP on their handling of the debt crisis than who disapprove of President Obama handling of it.

yes I am aware you 'quoted' it, I think poll snips are much more effective rendered from the source, than a truncated "quoted' version imho.
that is permissible? right...so, no need for you to change anything. :rolleyes:

victim?:eusa_eh: Oh, you cannot grasp what I said, I am sorry if my point is over your head, I'll have think progress send you a memo.

why yes we are all "amerikans" now...you kill me, you really do...:lol::lol:

Last edited:

Americans are unimpressed with their political leaders' handling of the debt ceiling crisis, with a new CBS News poll showing a majority disapprove of all the involved parties' conduct, but Republicans in Congress fare the worst, with just 21 percent backing their resistance to raising taxes.

Even half of the Republican respondents (51 percent) voiced disapproval of how members of their own party in Congress are handling the talks. Far fewer Democrats expressed disapproval of their own party's handling (32 percent) or President Obama's (22 percent) of the urgent quest to raise the nation's debt limit ahead of a looming default on Aug. 2 if action isn't taken.

Sixty-six percent of those polled said they believe an agreement will be reached before the Aug. 2 deadline, while only 31 percent say it's unlikely.

Thoughts USMB?

The question was "Do you approve or disapprove of the way Republicans in Congress are handling the current negotiations on the debt ceiling?" with no follow up questions regarding various proposals for spending cuts or tax increases.

In other words it was a loaded question.

Now, what does the poll tell us?

Well, that isn't the conclusion drawn. All we know is a percentage of respondents didn't like the way the Republicans were handling the debt crisis. They didn't say why. Do they want a deal or do they want the GOP to walk away and leave Obama hanging and fending for himself?

My guess it's a mixture of both.

The truth is most Republican voters don't trust Obama so they don't want a deal of any kind because they feel Obama won't honor it. One thing is for certain, Obama has less then half of the respondents supporting his actions.....even when he's only been involved in negotiations for a couple of weeks. Imagine if he had been involved all along.

Seems whenever anyone tries........their poll numbers plummet. Now that Obama is finally getting his hands dirty his numbers are falling.

Last edited:

Thoughts USMB?

The question was "Do you approve or disapprove of the way Republicans in Congress are handling the current negotiations on the debt ceiling?" with no follow up questions regarding various proposals for spending cuts or tax increases.

In other words it was a loaded question.

Now, what does the poll tell us?

Well, that isn't the conclusion drawn. All we know is a percentage of respondents didn't like the way the Republicans were handling the debt crisis. They didn't say why. Do they want a deal or do they want the GOP to walk away and leave Obama hanging and fending for himself?

My guess it's a mixture of both.

The truth is most Republican voters don't trust Obama so they don't want a deal of any kind because they feel Obama won't honor it. One thing is for certain, Obama has less then half of the respondents supporting his actions.....even when he's only been involved in negotiations for a couple of weeks. Imagine if he had been involved all along.

Seems whenever anyone tries........their poll numbers plummet. Now that Obama is finally getting his hands dirty his numbers are falling.

hey!! no fair actually reading the Poll Mud... you're supposed to parrot the title and just move along.........

agreed. in fact looking at that entire poll, Q by Q theres a number of different ways to read it........

I do however agree, obama right now is to an extent winning the spin war.

Forum List

Back