Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Americans are unimpressed with their political leaders' handling of the debt ceiling crisis, with a new CBS News poll showing a majority disapprove of all the involved parties' conduct, but Republicans in Congress fare the worst, with just 21 percent backing their resistance to raising taxes.

President Obama earned the most generous approval ratings for his handling of the weeks-old negotiations, but still more people said they disapproved (48 percent) than approved (43 percent) of what he has done and said.

Even half of the Republican respondents (51 percent) voiced disapproval of how members of their own party in Congress are handling the talks. Far fewer Democrats expressed disapproval of their own party's handling (32 percent) or President Obama's (22 percent) of the urgent quest to raise the nation's debt limit ahead of a looming default on Aug. 2 if action isn't taken.

Sixty-six percent of those polled said they believe an agreement will be reached before the Aug. 2 deadline, while only 31 percent say it's unlikely.

Thoughts USMB?

Well I figured I'd post this for people like you Dr. House who like using the poll that Americans don't approve of raising the debt ceiling. :)

Though that gap between those numbers are also narrowing as more people find out what exactly not raising the debt ceiling entails.

Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Americans are unimpressed with their political leaders' handling of the debt ceiling crisis, with a new CBS News poll showing a majority disapprove of all the involved parties' conduct, but Republicans in Congress fare the worst, with just 21 percent backing their resistance to raising taxes.

President Obama earned the most generous approval ratings for his handling of the weeks-old negotiations, but still more people said they disapproved (48 percent) than approved (43 percent) of what he has done and said.

Even half of the Republican respondents (51 percent) voiced disapproval of how members of their own party in Congress are handling the talks. Far fewer Democrats expressed disapproval of their own party's handling (32 percent) or President Obama's (22 percent) of the urgent quest to raise the nation's debt limit ahead of a looming default on Aug. 2 if action isn't taken.

Sixty-six percent of those polled said they believe an agreement will be reached before the Aug. 2 deadline, while only 31 percent say it's unlikely.

Thoughts USMB?

Let's divide up the debt as cost per citizen (leave those illegal aliens out of it, cause they get a free ride) and send every citizen their portion "owed". They have one year to come up with the money or be sold into slavery.

Wonder how quickly spending would be cut, then!!!!!

It's election time already. They are all moving into or already in Campaign mode. Can't trust a thing they do or say. None of them.

I'd be pissed if I was a Republican considering how willing Mitch McConnell is to sell the ability to get real spending cuts done in order to play politics.

Let's divide up the debt as cost per citizen (leave those illegal aliens out of it, cause they get a free ride) and send every citizen their portion "owed". They have one year to come up with the money or be sold into slavery.

:lol:

Just curious about your little plan, who's going to enforce the being sold into slavery part?

a)

CBS News senior White House correspondent Bill Plante reports there was no visible progress over the weekend, despite warnings from debt rating agencies that the nation's credit rating could drop, even if there is a deal, if government spending isn't cut.

from the link...

b) from the actual poll-

Attachments

• $debt poll.jpg
    $debt poll.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 75
a)

CBS News senior White House correspondent Bill Plante reports there was no visible progress over the weekend, despite warnings from debt rating agencies that the nation's credit rating could drop, even if there is a deal, if government spending isn't cut.

from the link...

b) from the actual poll-

According to lthe left wing whackaloons on this board, only more debt can save us. What gives?

considering that 51% don't pay taxes and are looking for a continued free ride, that leaves 20% (most likely the lowest earners on the tax paying scale) that actually have a dog in the fight.
Now this also tells me that 80% of the tax paying public (those that actually pay the bills) do not want to pay anymore.

If that is not clear enough, look at who did the poll. Now find me a respectable poll.

There would be no talk about debt if it wasn't for the Tea Party putting backbone into the republican party. What do radical lefties want? A total left wing government that spends our great-grandkids money to pay off campaign debts? Democrats lied to us just before Fannie Mae brought the banking industry down. House Banking chairman Barney Frank told Americans that Fannie was fine while it was in critical financial trouble. My guess is that Barry and the boys would lie us right into the poor house and we would wake up some day to Euro bills in banks and Chinese writing on the traffic signs.

I'd say they've both handed us a Rome in flames and cut the water off.

I'd like to see a poll in which everyone's taxes are going to be raised and see how many approve.

Last edited:
Obama is getting some mileage with his class warfare rhetoric. That's to be understood given so many lemmings fell for his 'hope' and 'change' nonsense in 2008.

a)

from the link...

b) from the actual poll-

According to lthe left wing whackaloons on this board, only more debt can save us. What gives?

the thread title based naturally on the cbs site title doesn't really play fair but hey, shocker right?

51% of reps don't like what their own party is doing?

48% don't approve of obamas handling.......see what I mean? they slanted it to read exactly what they wanted the message to be, how about just as many reps are mad at their party own as there are people who think obama is not doing a good job?

a)

from the link...

b) from the actual poll-

the thread title based naturally on the cbs site title doesn't really play fair but hey, shocker right?

48% don't approve of obamas handling.......see what I mean? they slanted it to read exactly what they wanted the message to be, how about just as many reps are mad at their party own as there are people who think obama is not doing a good job?

Well, it is a modbert thread. He sees a story that's pro-Obama/anti-GOP and has an orgasm. :lol:

Maybe he should stick to jazz. ;)

:lol:

Just curious about your little plan, who's going to enforce the being sold into slavery part?

The UN human rights commision?

Except the second thing I quoted in my OP:

Attempt at playing victim fail. :thup:

There are far more Americans according to this poll who disagree with the GOP on their handling of the debt crisis than who disapprove of President Obama handling of it.

The UN human rights commision?

What? You must have some good stuff over there. :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCsYDZ2M04M]‪The beatles yellow submarine‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back