Politics and Secondhand Smoke

Political Chick, I wanted to add this one thing to your list of interesting tobacco history tidbits:

9. Lung cancer was a virtually unknown disease until the invention of the cigarette machine around 1880. As smoking rates increased due to increased production and sales of cigarettes, so did rates of lung cancer.

Too interesting to leave off the list.

We call it lung cancer today. Way back, it was consumption and many people died of consumption.

. In 2003 he wrote a study, published in the British Medical Journal, in which he found no causal relationship between secondhand smoke and tobacco-related death – a conclusion that drew fire both because it was contrary to popular scientific belief and because it was funded by Philip Morris….

And the tobacco companies have such a long history of delivering scientifically honest research on tobacco's impact on human health...

Lord you and FOX are dumb. Enstrom and Kabat used data from as early as 1959 - when nearly everyone was exposed to 2nd hand smoke - and compared people whose spouses smoked to those whose spouses did not smoke. They essentially wound up proving that 2nd hand smoke from your spouse isn't any more harmful than 2nd hand smoke from other people - wow - like we couldn't have figured that one out on our own.

I know you're like 12 years old and you therefore couldn't possibly remember this - but smoking used to be allowed pretty much everywhere. Even in hospital rooms. There is no control group not exposed to 2nd hand smoke in 1959. The study's methodology is designed to come to a particular conclusion.

Last edited:
Apparently second hand smoke kills 600,000 annually worldwide. So why no war on tobacco? Oh yeah, they pay taxes.

You think we'd quit the War on Terror if the Terrorists paid a tax to the US?

No need to debate it, because the correlation has been established.

That's correct.. Because the point you wanted to force cannot be verified with any degree of scientific accuracy..

That lung cancer is inextricably connected with cigarette smoking? Can you at least make friends with even the most basic of truths?

No -- c'mon man follow along.. You were attempted to correlate the outbreak of lung tumors with the advent of the cigarrette machines PRE - 1900.. Claiming that such tumors virtually didn't exist before then. That simply can't be done for the reasons that I gave.

Not denying the linkage -- I stated so.. Just trying to stop you from hurting yourself trying to prove UNPROVABLE linkages with no scientific numerical traceability. Get it???

I HATE cigarette smoking as it KILLED my Dad and Grandma. Fucking Cancer caused by this evil poisonous thing must be banned.

It was their choice, don't they deserve any of the responsibility? It was all those evil cigarettes?

My grandmother died from it. Not a lot of sympathy on my part for people in this day and age that smoke knowing the links to lung cancer.

I get pissed to high hell about people that smoke around their kids though. The connection to asthma and parents who smoke is pretty slam dunk. You're guaranteeing your kids a lifetime of pretty terrible health.

As for second hand smoke, I know I get physically ill, as does my wife, from the smell of tobacco and the smoke. If you were to light up in my house, I'd toss you out by force. I change out hotel rooms if I get one that smells of smoke.

I will take responsibility for my own health though. If I'm someplace that allows for smoking patrons and it's at the point it bothers me, I leave. I've got two legs, and they work. If you're on my property around my kids though, you're the one getting the boot.

Forum List

Back