Politicians who Quote from the Bible on Abortion,etc

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Disclaimer: I am not saying whether these are my views or not, just asking questions is all.

There are plenty of politicians who quote from the Bible from topics such as Abortion, Gay Marriage, etc. However, I wonder if those politicians will also be using the bible to quote from on immigration.

USCCB - NAB - Leviticus 19

"When an alien resides with you in your land, do not molest him.
You shall treat the alien who resides with you no differently than the natives born among you; have the same love for him as for yourself; for you too were once aliens in the land of Egypt. I, the LORD, am your God.

I don't think we molest aliens as a nation. I think we treat them pretty damn good.

I'm pretty sure the word molest in the Bible is the same as today. I think it's more of the general term.

And again, what I'm wondering is do you think the politicians will be using this part of the Bible in their shaping of Immigration Reform?

Unless you're talking about aliens from outerspace. I say we blast those fuckers out of the air.

Sodom & Gommorrah would have been spared if one good man besides Lot could have been found. God sent two (I think it was two) angels in to Lot. Lot didn't know they were angels, nobody did, they were guests, but they WERE angels and God sent them to find a good man.

The good citizens of Sodom (I think it was Sodom) got up a mob and went to Lot's house and tried to drag the angels out of the house to rape and kill them. Lot tried to get them to take his DAUGHTERS instead, because it was a huge no-no (and really, it still is in parts of the world where we're fighting, which is why it's so fucking hard to defeat the Taliban) to allow any harm to come to anyone you have given hospitality to (I guess daughters don't count). It is the code that once you have provided hospitality you, your family and your tribe are obligated to lay down your lives for them.

The angels told Lot to keep his daughters, went out with the mob and proceded to decimate them. I think they struck them blind, but there may have been more involved. Then they revealed themselves to Lot and told him to get his family the hell out of there because in the morning, God was raining down fire upon the cities.

Lot got his wife and a couple of his daughters (I think one stayed behind...and know members of his family refused to go). His wife was reluctant, and when she looked back in regret she got turned to a pillar of salt.

The moral of the story....be good to strangers. You never know when one might be an angel. And in fact, the bible actual states that somewhere.

I don't think we molest aliens as a nation. I think we treat them pretty damn good.

I'm pretty sure the word molest in the Bible is the same as today. I think it's more of the general term.

And again, what I'm wondering is do you think the politicians will be using this part of the Bible in their shaping of Immigration Reform?

I think some of them will. Maybe many. Being good to strangers to the country is not the same as protecting your country from the enemy who can use a too-open system to get in.

Let them come. After they pass a background check.

Disclaimer: I am not saying whether these are my views or not, just asking questions is all.

There are plenty of politicians who quote from the Bible from topics such as Abortion, Gay Marriage, etc. However, I wonder if those politicians will also be using the bible to quote from on immigration.

You shall treat the alien who resides with you no differently than the natives born among you; have the same love for him as for yourself; for you too were once aliens in the land of Egypt. I, the LORD, am your God.
:clap2::clap2::clap2:

There is no word in Biblical Hebrew for 'immigration'. It was a command to treat aliens (also translated "visitors", "to sojourn" as "to stay temporarily.") kindly. Arguing that illegal aliens should remain permanently finds no support in Leviticus.

There is no word in Biblical Hebrew for 'immigration'. It was a command to treat aliens (also translated "visitors", "to sojourn" as "to stay temporarily.") kindly. Arguing that illegal aliens should remain permanently finds no support in Leviticus.

Ruth the moabite was certainly welcomed into Israel on a permanent basis... and her great grandson became the greatest king Israel had ever had.... and 25 generations later, ruth the moabite had the offspring to end all offsprings

Ruth the moabite was certainly welcomed into Israel on a permanent basis... and her great grandson became the greatest king Israel had ever had.... and 25 generations later, ruth the moabite had the offspring to end all offsprings

Yep. Ruth decides to remain with her Israelite mother-in-law after her husband’s death and become an Israelite. Ruth says, “Wherever you go, I will go; And wherever you lodge, I will lodge; Your people will be my people and your God will be my God. Where you die, I will die, and there will I be buried.” Translation: patriotic assimilation.

Contrast this with the apparent indifference to national identity or loyalty of so many illegal aliens and you have your answer. Remember: Press "2" for Spanish.

They probably won't use those quotes because these quotes don't refer to telling Jews how to treat people who sneaked into their country in order to exploit the social and economic conditions Jews created for their own benefit. I always find it quite curious when people cherry pick Biblical quotes because they typically do so only for the specific purpose of taking them entirely out of context so they can insist they were intended to mean something entirely different from the context in which they were actually written. It always raises questions in my mind about the real motivation since typically the person who does that tends NOT to be Christian or Jew but only attempting to try and use the religious beliefs of Jews and Christians against them. Usually unsuccessfully since the religious are far more likely to know the context in which a specific quote was written in the first place.

These quotes refer to people who were CONQUERED by the Jews and as a defeated people FORCED to become members of their society. BIG difference. These quotes are about how to treat such people - NOT as brutal rulers over them, but with kindness so that they become more accepting of their situation, more willing to become participating members of society and more readily adapting to their new life. Now if we declare war on Mexico, conquer it and force a bunch of Mexicans to move here against their will to live among us -these quotes might actually have some applicability. For the current situation -they have none. The reference to being aliens in Egypt should have been a clue for you. The Jews didn't go to Egypt voluntarily. They were forced to Egypt to become slaves as a conquered people. The quote was intended to remind Jews of what NOT to do with a conquered people having experienced it themselves firsthand.

Last edited:

Yes, I'm certain that what God meant there was tolerance of lawbreaking. That's EXACTLY the message in that passage, as opposed to, say, lawabiding immigrants. :cuckoo:

And I seem to recall that God laid down some pretty harsh penalties for lawbreaking of all kinds around that time. I realize that leftists have a hard time wrapping their "brains" around this concept, but illegal immigrants are called that because they're breaking the law. He should be glad all we do is deport their sorry asses, instead of laying down some Old Testament justice on 'em.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ruth was welcomed because she married an Israelite. Marriage to a citizen would also make her welcome HERE under our immigration law.

Is there any politician advocating for the abuse and mistreatment of people who visit our nation? If not, then im not sure why you seem to think this passage would be ignored by anyone.

They glom onto passages of it which sound harsh, but which were legal standards for a nation which was mobile and frequently enslaved and persecuted.

Tough times call for tough love.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ruth was welcomed because she married an Israelite. Marriage to a citizen would also make her welcome HERE under our immigration law.

are you suggesting that if an Iranian woman were to marry an American expatriate living in Iran, and then her husband were to die while still living in Iran, that the Iranian woman would be welcomed into America simply because of her dead husband?

According to the bible you are supposed to stone an unfaithful wife to death. Not give them 1/2 of your posessions and divorce them.

are you suggesting that if an Iranian woman were to marry an American expatriate living in Iran, and then her husband were to die while still living in Iran, that the Iranian woman would be welcomed into America simply because of her dead husband?

Not sure what our laws are concerning widows, but I believe there are provisions for her to get a green card, yes. Particularly if his mother here in the states sponsored her. The point still remains that Ruth didn't just barge into another country and flout their laws and thumb her nose at their culture, and Biblical injunctions for the Israelites do not require that we commit national and cultural suicide by ignoring illegal immigrants.

Forum List

Back