Over-parenting our youth.. an ethical injustice to our kiddos

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by JD_2B, Nov 21, 2009.

?

Do you oversupervise/ overprotect your kids??

Poll closed Dec 21, 2009.
  1. I give my kids all the freedom in the world.. They do whatever they want.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. My kids have a lot of freedom, but they sometimes have to check with me on certain things.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. My kids are overall in charge of their own lives, and I am always here for guidance.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. My kids have to check in frequently. There are no secrets kept from my family.

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  5. If I am not with my kids, or know a lot about who they are with, well, they will not partake at all.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JD_2B

JD_2B Little Vixen

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Full 5 page article:

Can These Parents Be Saved: The Growing Backlash Against Over-Parenting - TIME

Related

Photos

[​IMG]
    The Evolution of the College Dorm

Specials

[​IMG]
    America's 10 Best College Presidents

Stories

More Related

2. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    My wife hovers over our son like a preditor drone at a Pakistani wedding, I on the other hand am more laissez fair, I am so lazy the boy thinks I am fair.

Last time I saw him he was in a life and death struggle with our doberman.

I am betting on the boy, because I love him.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  3. JD_2B

JD_2B Little Vixen

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +118
    LOL!! I have family that also acts like their kids will break if they arent constantly directing them. Ugh..

I am a little more like you, always available for my kid- even when he doesn't want me to be, lol.. I can tell when something is not right. I am kinda like the doberman, when it comes to it. Not with my kid, of course, lol, but with those who mess with him, who are bigger and badder.

You mess wit my kid, you messin wit me.. :lol:

4. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,120
    I read this article earlier today and absolutely agree. Parents have turned into hovering, annoying, interfering worry-warts with their kids. God forbid little Johnny suffer the consequences of forgetting his homework or uniform . . . mom or dad to the rescue, bringing them their goods! God forbid kids learn that failing to turn in assignments on time or studying for tests results in consequences like failing and detentions. . . . mom or dad to the rescue with a conference demanding that their kid can't suffer these consequences! Oh puleeezze.

My youngest - almost 13 - was friends with the kid a few doors down since they were little. A few years ago my kid decided that she didn't want to be friends with this kid cause she really didn't like this kid. So why was I on the phone with the school guidance counselor discussing this? Because the dropped friend whined about it and the 'feel good counselor' had the kids get together in the office at school to 'talk about it' and my kid called me during this 'discussion'. wtf?? I told the counselor that if my kid ever gets called down by another kid because they had a fight or a falling out or whatever, that under no circumstances was my kid allowed to partake in said discussion. For crying out loud the adults need to butt the hell out and let these kids learn how to solve their own problems. Talk to your kids, offer them advice then butt out. I told the kid's mom the same thing when she called to 'discuss the situation'. She was puzzled at my attitude as she gave me the impression that we should get together and figure this out. Give me a break.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  5. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    I tried to treat my kids with the attitude my father had. Let them teeter on the brink of self-destruction, grab their britches and pull them back. Very calm lecture followed by a hug. But each time the pesky spouse got in the way.

So I learned to boil it down to a sermon of sorts: "You're very lucky to have been born with the ability to tell right from wrong- some folks aren't. The challenge in life comes in choosing right over wrong".

I hope that shit sinks in.

6. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Two problems in America about parenting, under and over parenting ... we are a country of extremes now, some don't do enough, others do too much ... no one takes the middle ground anymore.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,851
    The article is just another reason to remain child-free. Who needs a bunch of do-gooders telling you how to raise your own kids?

8. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    And the strangest thing is that most of the do-gooders who rush in to tell you how to parent "properly" don't actually have any children of their own.

9. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    As a result of the generation spawned of the helicopter parents, we have an entire generation whose EQs are seriously retarded.

10. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    What I find ironic is that whenever this subject comes up pretty much all the responses are about how helicopter parents are bad, but if anyone ever suggests lowering the age we call people adults or using some form of testing to decide when 1 should be considered an adult no 1 seems in favor of it. It feels to me like we live in a helicopter society.