Politicians get criticised, but Trump can't cope

This is a familiar theme that runs through newer political parties. UKIP, whose ex leader Farage Trump is buddies with, did the same thing. They think that somehow they don't have to put up with the same level of criticism that all other presidents had to put up with.

Trump now finds it demoralizing. Oh, boo the fuck hoo. You won, and now you can't cope with the pressure of the job. So why did you bother in the first place? This is why you don't put someone in as CEO of a company who has only ever worked in a diner serving greasy food, because you don't know whether they're up to the pressure. Trump and his team are cracking already.

Government loses Supreme Court case over Article 50

As one person put it:

"Trump will be criticized for his entire presidency just as Obama, Bush, Clinton and every President since the beginning of the Republic. He better get used to it."
when Obama started feeling the pressure, the lickspittle lapdog liberal media, started calling US racists for questioning the direction(in the toilet) he was taking the US. Then again, he also blamed George Bush, even after 4 years of failed policies, and still we were called racists for his transgressions against the constitution. Now that Trump is in office, you lickspittles, turn into the fanatical maniacs, knowing that your FREE stuff will soon disappear, and you might actually have to work for a living, like the rest of the "normal" citizens of the US of A.

c96d7efb58fdc53595727ddcd8ed8a5e.jpg

Personally I liked Ronald Reagan's style of using humor and witty jabs to smack the press around when they got under his skin, Clinton was pretty good at it too.
Oh, amen. Trump is so goddamn hypersensitive and insecure that he just has to attack back.
You realize that many people said the exact same things about TR, right? IMHO the similarities in personality, energy and philosophy are striking.

But in the modern presidency, it shouldn't be about the insecurities of one man. He should have people there to advise him to SHUT THE FUCK UP.
Insecurities? What you see as insecurities others see as having the courage to speak ones mind and not back down when attacked, it's a hallmark of populism and Trump is playing it pretty well. IMHO it's one of the mechanisms he has utilized effectively to befuddle the Democrats, he puts out so many targets that they don't know which one to shoot at so they're stuck singing the same old tired tunes (racism! sexism! class warfare! yada, yada...) which haven't been working.

"I am sometimes a fox and sometimes a lion. The whole secret of government lies in knowing when to be the one or the other." -- Napoleon Bonaparte
Being a populist and being intelligent & articulate & mature do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Trump presents the highest possible risk for populists: That his personal attributes will reflect negatively on his ideology. He brings the potential to destroy it just as easily as represent it. He's the ultimate high wire act.

This is a familiar theme that runs through newer political parties. UKIP, whose ex leader Farage Trump is buddies with, did the same thing. They think that somehow they don't have to put up with the same level of criticism that all other presidents had to put up with.

Trump now finds it demoralizing. Oh, boo the fuck hoo. You won, and now you can't cope with the pressure of the job. So why did you bother in the first place? This is why you don't put someone in as CEO of a company who has only ever worked in a diner serving greasy food, because you don't know whether they're up to the pressure. Trump and his team are cracking already.

As one person put it:

"Trump will be criticized for his entire presidency just as Obama, Bush, Clinton and every President since the beginning of the Republic. He better get used to it."

Nope hell fight back, he's not W or McCain, that let's it go, and it's working, because we know the media is full of shit

As one person put it:

Criticism is freedom of speech.
Out right lies like some media do is not.
Trump is not getting rid of MLK bust. LIE!!
Outright lie.

Personally I liked Ronald Reagan's style of using humor and witty jabs to smack the press around when they got under his skin, Clinton was pretty good at it too.
Oh, amen. Trump is so goddamn hypersensitive and insecure that he just has to attack back.
You realize that many people said the exact same things about TR, right? IMHO the similarities in personality, energy and philosophy are striking.

But in the modern presidency, it shouldn't be about the insecurities of one man. He should have people there to advise him to SHUT THE FUCK UP.
Insecurities? What you see as insecurities others see as having the courage to speak ones mind and not back down when attacked, it's a hallmark of populism and Trump is playing it pretty well. IMHO it's one of the mechanisms he has utilized effectively to befuddle the Democrats, he puts out so many targets that they don't know which one to shoot at so they're stuck singing the same old tired tunes (racism! sexism! class warfare! yada, yada...) which haven't been working.

"I am sometimes a fox and sometimes a lion. The whole secret of government lies in knowing when to be the one or the other." -- Napoleon Bonaparte
Being a populist and being intelligent & articulate & mature do not have to be mutually exclusive.
No one said they were mutually exclusive; you missed the point entirely, the hallmark I was referring to was the tendency to speak directly to the citizenry in language that appeals to their current emotional state, the citizenry is at present angry and defiant in their attitudes toward the federal government, Trumps rhetoric reflects that very effectively, that's a principle reason that he won the election.

Trump presents the highest possible risk for populists: That his personal attributes will reflect negatively on his ideology. He brings the potential to destroy it just as easily as represent it. He's the ultimate high wire act.
Populists don't have any ideology, it's a direct appeal to the interests and emotions of the common citizenry and as such only works when the populist leader adopts language and mannerisms that mimic those of the masses, it's a "he's one of us" gambit not a "he shares my philosophy" one.

What you seem to be suggesting is that Trump abandon that and start speaking in Washingtonese and behaving as the much maligned, self anointed aristocracy in Washington behaves, that runs counter to everything he's been saying and doing up to now.

"Whenever you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, 'Certainly I can!' Then get busy and find out how to do it" -- Theodore Roosevelt

No one said they were mutually exclusive; you missed the point entirely, the hallmark I was referring to was the tendency to speak directly to the citizenry in language that appeals to their current emotional state, the citizenry is at present angry and defiant in their attitudes toward the federal government, Trumps rhetoric reflects that very effectively, that's a principle reason that he won the election.

Populists don't have any ideology, it's a direct appeal to the interests and emotions of the common citizenry and as such only works when the populist leader adopts language and mannerisms that mimic those of the masses, it's a "he's one of us" gambit not a "he shares my philosophy" one.

What you seem to be suggesting is that Trump abandon that and start speaking in Washingtonese and behaving as the much maligned, self anointed aristocracy in Washington behaves, that runs counter to everything he's been saying and doing up to now.

"Whenever you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, 'Certainly I can!' Then get busy and find out how to do it" -- Theodore Roosevelt
I'm really not asking for much. I'd like to see him just act like a normal, well-adjusted, intelligent adult. That's it. There are plenty of ways to do that and still be a populist. There are ways to do that and "speak plainly", or whatever it is that his base is so excited about.

And speaking of his "base", I have to admit I'm a little troubled that they want someone who talks like them, down to their level. Whatever happened to aspiration? Don't we want to improve on ourselves, and who would be better to inspire that than a President?

Meh. There's nothing I can do about it, and I'm getting used to being embarrassed by the guy, already. I'll just continue to hope for the best.

As one person put it:

The mainstream media worshiped Obama and slick willy... and still do

I'm really not asking for much. I'd like to see him just act like a normal, well-adjusted, intelligent adult. That's it. There are plenty of ways to do that and still be a populist. There are ways to do that and "speak plainly", or whatever it is that his base is so excited about.

And speaking of his "base", I have to admit I'm a little troubled that they want someone who talks like them, down to their level. Whatever happened to aspiration? Don't we want to improve on ourselves, and who would be better to inspire that than a President?

Meh. There's nothing I can do about it, and I'm getting used to being embarrassed by the guy, already. I'll just continue to hope for the best.

I think you're missing the point Mac, that's not his style, you're asking for him to, in chameleon like fashion, become something other than what he is and at the same time abandon the methodology that got him to where he is. We've had plenty of chameleons in the Oval Office lately, how's that been working out so far? Personally I'm enjoying watching the reactions on both sides to Trumps combative and boisterous style, it not only makes for good entertainment it also keeps everyone guessing as to what he'll say or do next, time will tell if that works out for the best but doing the same things we've been doing certainly isn't what's called for.

"And what is it that makes one man an exceptional leader? We see indications that it is his negative side which makes him strong, that his 'evil side', if you will, properly controlled and disciplined is vital to his strength" -- Spock, Star Trek

As one person put it:

Pretty much every President has had their own style and methods for pushing back against the Press when they get irritated by them, Trump's style just happens to be more boisterous (and at times obnoxious) than what we've seen in a long time (TR was probably the last President that even came close), no big deal.

Some have style, some are Trump, yeah. But it's ridiculous and he's going to have to fight them every day for 4 years....
Makes for good entertainment besides I'm not comfortable when politicians and the press have a comfy, lovey-dovey relationship, nor should any citizen be, since it doesn't make for an effective check on power, so let 'em fight tooth and nail every day.

"I'm in a hostile environment. I'm totally unprepared. And I'm surrounded by a bunch of guys who probably want to kick my ass... it's like being back in high school." -- Johnny Cage, Mortal Kombat

But then it ends up with more fighting that substance. The press has a part to play in the political process. Fighting the politicians is good when that fighting is uncovering the bullshit. But right now there's so much bullshit that it's getting ridiculous and while the press care, the Trump supporters don't, so what's the point any more when people will believe whatever is convenient.

I think you're missing the point Mac, that's not his style, you're asking for him to, in chameleon like fashion, become something other than what he is and at the same time abandon the methodology that got him to where he is. We've had plenty of chameleons in the Oval Office lately, how's that been working out so far? Personally I'm enjoying watching the reactions on both sides to Trumps combative and boisterous style, it not only makes for good entertainment it also keeps everyone guessing as to what he'll say or do next, time will tell if that works out for the best but doing the same things we've been doing certainly isn't what's called for.

"And what is it that makes one man an exceptional leader? We see indications that it is his negative side which makes him strong, that his 'evil side', if you will, properly controlled and disciplined is vital to his strength" -- Spock, Star Trek
Yeah, I do see that, and I don't expect him to change now. I just wish he would.

I also wish scotch didn't have so many calories, and I have to live with that too. It is what it is.

Like the last president?

Or his constituents

Yes, I see tons of insecurities. I see him speaking his mind, the problem is his mind isn't developed for the job. He's getting into nonsense petty fights like he's a high school kid. He can't rise above it, he can't use his position of power to give himself the power to do what he wants to do.

Like the last president?

Or his constituents

You might want to equate the behaviors of Obama and Trump. Personally, I think that's ridiculous.

Yes, I see tons of insecurities. I see him speaking his mind, the problem is his mind isn't developed for the job. He's getting into nonsense petty fights like he's a high school kid. He can't rise above it, he can't use his position of power to give himself the power to do what he wants to do.
.. and yet he keeps winning and I suspect he'll keep on winning as long as the opposition keeps attempting to demean and marginalize him with the same type of petty insults and innuendo that they accuse Trump of being the fountain of.

In other words, the evidence so far suggests that he's A LOT smarter and more politically adroit than his opponents give him credit for and thus they continue to play his game instead of figuring out how to play their own.

.. and yet he keeps winning and I suspect he'll keep on winning as long as the opposition keeps attempting to demean and marginalize him with the same type of petty insults and innuendo that they accuse Trump of being the fountain of.

In other words, the evidence so far suggests that he's A LOT smarter and more politically adroit than his opponents give him credit for and thus they continue to play his game instead of figuring out how to play their own.

Perhaps. He's tapped into something that shows the direction the US is going. People have so much self belief in their country they don't see the need to elect sensible politicians any more, just those that entertain them. It's not going to end well, is it?

You might want to equate the behaviors of Obama and Trump. Personally, I think that's ridiculous.
Agreed Mac, they're polar opposites with respect to personality and style, Obama the Ice Man, Trump the Fire Breather.

"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." -- Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones

I guess what you democrats are missing is that Trump simply doesn't give a flying fuck while he destroys you....he is doing it for entertainment...and that should scare the hell out of you.....
And you do not give a flying fuck while he destroys your country.
First full day and he impressed me. And I damn sure don't want to destroy this country.

Perhaps. He's tapped into something that shows the direction the US is going. People have so much self belief in their country they don't see the need to elect sensible politicians any more, just those that entertain them. It's not going to end well, is it?
We've been through these populist cycles before so this isn't new and generally speaking it's been effective at keeping the political class from going full on European Nobility on us citizens, whether or not it's going to "end well" this time remains an open question but IMHO you have to give the guy a chance (I'd say 6 months) before condemning him to the trashbin.

We've been through these populist cycles before so this isn't new and generally speaking it's been effective at keeping the political class from going full on European Nobility on us citizens, whether or not it's going to "end well" this time remains an open question but IMHO you have to give the guy a chance (I'd say 6 months) before condemning him to the trashbin.

Well, really the writing has been on the wall for a long time for the US. Trump is merely a symptom of the problem, rather than the problem itself. Obama too. He got elected by saying "hope" Trump got elected by saying "hope", and what hope has anyone ever actually given since Reagan?

What I've noticed this morning is that while everyone on the left is complaining about something trump says or tweets, he is changing and implementing policies with little criticism.

Look ay yesterday. He made a lot of changes and the left is still asking when he is going to start getting to work because they are too busy ranting about trumps response to the women's march and the popular vote.

Forum List

Back