Politically Correctness, Offensive use of the term XMas

LeftofLeft

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2011
In an increasingly politically correct world, why do people feel they can use the term XMas when referring to Christmas? This term is offensive to many Christians.

Girlfriend of mine way back mentioned that. I was only using it as shorthand, but to demonstrate my laziness wasn't intended to be offensive I began writing it out and still do. A small thing.

When I wanna offend, I'm more than capable of doing it graphicly and clearly. :)

Personally, I am not offended by it. In a world where the Left seems to care about illegal migrants being offended by people showing the U.S. flag, pork being too close to Muslims, A public school football coach praying before a game, the Left needs to be more consistent. Many Christians are offended by use of the term Xmas. If the Lefty PC crowd truly wants a PC world, then they need to support Christians not being offended as well.

Personally, I am not offended by it. In a world where the Left seems to care about illegal migrants being offended by people showing the U.S. flag, pork being too close to Muslims, A public school football coach praying before a game, the Left needs to be more consistent. Many Christians are offended by use of the term Xmas. If the Lefty PC crowd truly wants a PC world, then they need to support Christians not being offended as well.

if you're not offended and no one else is saying anything about it, is there a reason to whine about it?

In an increasingly politically correct world, why do people feel they can use the term XMas when referring to Christmas? This term is offensive to many Christians.

It shouldn't be. It's a term that Christians came up with.

Xmas Abbreviation

Actually, this usage is nearly as old as Christianity itself, and its origins lie in the fact that the first letter in the Greek word for 'Christ' is 'chi,' and the Greek letter 'chi' is represented by a symbol similar to the letter 'X' in the modern Roman alphabet. Hence 'Xmas' is indeed perfectly legitimate abbreviation for the word 'Christmas' (just as 'Xian' is also sometimes used as an abbreviation of the word 'Christian').

the problem with that is fucking Christians are offended by everything which doesn't involve them being able to impose their backward-ass superstitions on the rest of us.

if you're not offended and no one else is saying anything about it, is there a reason to whine about it?

Not a whine. It's an exposure.

the problem with that is fucking Christians are offended by everything which doesn't involve them being able to impose their backward-ass superstitions on the rest of us.[/QUOTE? You obviously

the problem with that is fucking Christians are offended by everything which doesn't involve them being able to impose their backward-ass superstitions on the rest of us.

See sharia law in Western cultures and get back to us on what a true imposition is in modern times.

no. there would have to be something to expose.

:cuckoo:

Girlfriend of mine way back mentioned that. I was only using it as shorthand, but to demonstrate my laziness wasn't intended to be offensive I began writing it out and still do. A small thing.

When I wanna offend, I'm more than capable of doing it graphicly and clearly. :)

Same here. I used to use xmas because it saves keystrokes. A Christian friend of mine pointed out that many Christians find it offensive because you are "crossing Christ out of Christmas". I stopped abbreviating it after that.

While I think Christ will manage to survive being "xed" out of Christmas every once in a while, I don't see a reason to needlessly offend.

=====

Calling the Winterfest " Christmas " is offensive to ME ... an agnostic.

I'm a non-believer so why should I have to go around saying " Merry Christmas " when I don't believe in Christ?

I < do > believe in the Winter Solstice and am happy to celebrate THAT but NOT the birth of a fairy tale figure.

Why do you find it offensive?

I don't but some Christians do. Got me thinking how the PC Police always react when a minority says something offends them (American Flag, Prayer, cartoon of Muhammad) and the PC police jumps to their defense and cause.

I stated above I don't find it offensive but am calling out yet more Hypocrisy from the Left created PC Police. Like a block of Swiss cheese, it has many holes.

=====

Calling the Winterfest " Christmas " is offensive to ME ... an agnostic.

I'm a non-believer so why should I have to go around saying " Merry Christmas " when I don't believe in Christ?

I < do > believe in the Winter Solstice and am happy to celebrate THAT but NOT the birth of a fairy tale figure.

If and when you do find it offensive, the PC Police will jump fast to your side and ignore any Christian complaint. Not a whine, just an exposure and analysis.

she is too stupid to know the difference, an atheist and muslime ISIS sympathizer. :up:
======================

You do like to display your ignorance don't you?

A muslim ( or sympathizer ) would be VERY religious and NOT an atheist.

Atheists have no more use for Islam than we have for Christianity.

All religions are con jobs.

Forum List

Back