Political Neoteny

Leucol

Unelectable Libertarian
Jun 25, 2010
Colcord, OK
Well, it seems that the term "adult" in the United States has become more of an honorary title than anything else. The right to decide how we want to live our lives continues to be eroded as the government assumes more and more responsibility for our well-being, like some over-protective daddy who can justify any extreme all in the name of protecting his children.

Take for example seatbelt laws. While a very good case can be made that not strapping a child into the car amounts to negligence at best and endangerment at worst, why in the hell can't an adult decide for themselves what level of risk they are comfortable assuming in life? Because a bunch of self-righteous do-gooders have decided that the rest of us don't have enough sense to make such decisions. In describing those who choose not to wear seatbelts as basically morons who "just don't get it" who better "for your own sake, click that safety belt or plan on getting a ticket", these self-righteous guardians of my safety make it plain that they have no problem imposing their standards on the rest of us.

Now don't misunderstand. There is no such thing as a free lunch. If a person chooses to exercise their right of personal freedom by living a little more dangerously, then they also have the burden of personal responsibility to bear. Don't want to wear seatbelts? Then you need to carry a little more insurance so that the government doesn't have to send you a check every month if you leave a substantial portion of your brains smeared all over the windshield. Ditto for motorcycle helmets and kite tubing.

The bottom line is this: Look, Big Brother, I am a grown man and you ain't my daddy. Whats next? Are you going to invade my backyard and issue me a ticket because I didn't remove that unhealthy skin from the chicken before I cooked it? Do you know how much we fat-ass, chicken-skin-eaters are costing the government every year? Better crack down, because obviously we can't be allowed to make such decisions for ourselves.

We are not allowed to decide (in many states) whether or not we want to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. Two states don't think the average adult has enough sense to pump their own freakin' gas. You can't legally decide to end your own life if you choose, you can't decide to opt-out of Social Security and take your chances when you get too old to work, and you can't decide to marry a person of the same sex.

What happens if the government decides that it is allowed to legislate any aspect of our lives that involves our health and safety? Will there be a prohibition on tobacco? Will the Temperance League make another run at alcohol? A ban on skydiving? Waterskiing? Tatoos? Rough sex?

Folks, this is one of the slipperiest of all slopes. We have to decide whether or not the government can force us to take care of ourselves.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
The government is already wielding that power. Seatbelt laws, helmet laws, laws agaisnt kite tubing, laws against tattoos, laws that don't allow people to pump their own gas, laws that make you save for retirement, etc.

Forum List

Back