Political Correctness from the eyes of a liberal

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
This is just sad. A liberal professor wrote this piece, although no doubt the PC Police will deny he/she is liberal. Colleges used to be a place for the free flow of ideas, and now they are quite the opposite.

What happened? And why don't these people see that closed young minds are not a good thing?

I m a liberal professor and my liberal students terrify me - Vox

So it's not just that students refuse to countenance uncomfortable ideas — they refuse to engage them, period. Engagement is considered unnecessary, as the immediate, emotional reactions of students contain all the analysis and judgment that sensitive issues demand. As Judith Shulevitz wrote in the New York Times, these refusals can shut down discussion in genuinely contentious areas, such as when Oxford canceled an abortion debate. More often, they affect surprisingly minor matters, as when Hamsphire College disinvited an Afrobeat band because their lineup had too many white people in it.

Funny, I thought that these kids were in college to get a degree to get them ready for the workforce, not engaging in political debates.
you love indoctrination K through 12th grade, don't ya?

There is no better place than college for young people to experience the widest possible range of ideas and opinions. It teaches them to be curious, to seek out opposing thought, to develop their own independent points of view, and to sincerely challenge their own views. Absolutely wonderful and fantastic preparation for the world.

Instead, we're turning out narcissistic, intolerant, angry robots. A goddamn shame. Colleges should not only be inviting it, they should be promoting it. What a fuckin' waste.

Funny, I thought that these kids were in college to get a degree to get them ready for the workforce, not engaging in political debates.

Not sure what you are talking about, exactly. You mean they are taught science and not about Talking Snakes?

That said, right now, they have Common core, a plan billionaires came up with to make the workforce more compliant. It's a terrible idea.

This is just sad. A liberal professor wrote this piece, although no doubt the PC Police will deny he/she is liberal. Colleges used to be a place for the free flow of ideas, and now they are quite the opposite.

What happened? And why don't these people see that closed young minds are not a good thing?

So it's not just that students refuse to countenance uncomfortable ideas — they refuse to engage them, period. Engagement is considered unnecessary, as the immediate, emotional reactions of students contain all the analysis and judgment that sensitive issues demand. As Judith Shulevitz wrote in the New York Times, these refusals can shut down discussion in genuinely contentious areas, such as when Oxford canceled an abortion debate. More often, they affect surprisingly minor matters, as when Hamsphire College disinvited an Afrobeat band because their lineup had too many white people in it.

Something has to be done about the hate-speech that is being spread throughout our education system.

This is the legacy of liberalism and progressivism.

They're turning our kids into bigots purely to win elections.

They really don't give a damn what the side-effects are as long as they stay in power. And the most amazing aspect of this is it all has to do with money. It's about wealth. Taking from us and giving to themselves.

Something has to be done about the hate-speech that is being spread throughout our education system.

They really don't give a damn what the side-effects are as long as they stay in power. And the most amazing aspect of this is it all has to do with money. It's about wealth. Taking from us and giving to themselves.
It's terribly short-sighted.

And also, if a person is truly confident in their beliefs, they wouldn't be worried about avoiding opposing views.

There's a massive well funded rightwing propaganda machine operating 24 hours a day for the purpose of indoctrinating people with the rightwing agenda.

Not to indulge Mac's crazy, but here's the thing.

The problem with Colleges is NOT political correctness, it's commercialization. The problem with colleges is that they've become BUSINESSES. Their goal is to get people to buy their product - a degree - and like any other business, they don't want their product to become 'controversial" and have the consumer choose another product.

My sister and niece work for the Catholic School system. But since 30% of their students are now non-Catholics getting away from the Public School system, they've found the schools are watering down the Catholicism and just teaching a pasty non-denominational sort of Christianity.

Is this a bad thing? Maybe, maybe not. It depends on what you think that piece of paper is good for.

Not sure what you are talking about, exactly. You mean they are taught science and not about Talking Snakes?

That said, right now, they have Common core, a plan billionaires came up with to make the workforce more compliant. It's a terrible idea.
you grew up in the Chicago system, no? ( by the way I always find it laughable you always claim you were a conservative growing up in that atmosphere)

So did I for a few year's, before I went to a burb school, just as liberal, with Union teachers.

And for those who won't read the article I posted,

by the 'liberal' pro-choicer who was scheduled to be in the debate, this is what he said about the shutdown:

"The alarmingly intolerant students who wanted to shut down tonight’s debate* also call into question the idea of autonomy.

They claim tonight’s discussion will harm female students’ ‘mental safety’ and ‘self-esteem’.

The irony is terrible: they present themselves as pro-choice but want to deny people the choice to attend this debate; they claim to fight for women’s bodily autonomy but don’t think women have the basic mental autonomy to attend a discussion like this, listen, think, agree or disagree, and then get on with the business of cultivating their own minds."

Of course the OP conveniently ignores such opinions when they interfere with his obsession with broadbrushing all liberals as 'PC'.

And for those who won't read the article I posted,

by the 'liberal' pro-choicer who was scheduled to be in the debate, this is what he said about the shutdown:

"The alarmingly intolerant students who wanted to shut down tonight’s debate* also call into question the idea of autonomy.

They claim tonight’s discussion will harm female students’ ‘mental safety’ and ‘self-esteem’.

The irony is terrible: they present themselves as pro-choice but want to deny people the choice to attend this debate; they claim to fight for women’s bodily autonomy but don’t think women have the basic mental autonomy to attend a discussion like this, listen, think, agree or disagree, and then get on with the business of cultivating their own minds."

Of course the OP conveniently ignores such opinions when they interfere with his obsession with broadbrushing all liberals as 'PC'.
Deflection noted.

Forum List

Back