Polish Greatness

Status
Not open for further replies.
No you have a lack of substance.

You've not shown any Battles of the ones you think did better like Nazis, WHO LOST at near even numbers in Operation Barbarossa.

You've ignored all the Battles I've posted, and just have moved everything to WW2 which is 1 out of 1,000's of Wars Poland was in.

Spartans also lost some battles, so it doesn't really matter if Poles sometimes lost.

You're just looking like one with some serious bone to chew with Poland for no reason at all.

you want to claim great battles where the poles lost both the battle and the war, but dismiss anyone else who did the same.

No, you want to ignore Polish victories, and harp on Nazi German's lost.

Why?
Who knows you're a clown.
It is called being objective and fair. Why don't you want to be objective when making your claims? I don't know, maybe you have a polish penis stuck up your ass?

Objective?

You haven't even come close....None of the groups you mentioned are even competition for Poland's Golden Age...

The best military commander is definitely Genghiz Khan... But... Polish Boleslaw Chrobry, and Jan Sobieski are very close, in fact so are some others.

Furthermore, Poles have a more consistent victory margin than Mongols.

Also Swedes come very close to Poles in victories when outnumbered.

Yes Spartans for only a very brief period.

It's not Nazi Germany, or Confederates, who are even in question.... You sound like a moron to even discuss that.

I am taking Hannibal on offense because I think he would rapidly learn, Napolean for fighting a defense using offense. For digging in and simply holding out as long as possible, that list would be huge, it is a lot easier. Isreal fought and won 3 wars of annilihation in 25 years, I am hiring them if I want to play defense with conventional weapons.

Ghenghiz Khan on offense.

Jan III Sobieski on defense.

Battle of Podhajce (1667) - Wikipedia

Battle of Zboriv (1649) - Wikipedia

Battle of Khotyn (1673) - Wikipedia

Battle of Vienna - Wikipedia

meanwhile, congrats to Poland on ranking well behind Sweden in scientific contribution in 2016 despite having 4 times as many people. Ranked number #24, gee I can see why you think Poland is real science powerhouse

The World's Best Countries in Science [Interactive]

1.) #24 out of roughly 200 countries in this World is not bad.

2.) I never said Poland was #1 today, just that it's doing some pretty good things for Science, once again.

3.) Presumably in this list, a lot of the recorded papers, and patents aren't ground-breaking, I'd imagine that when you account ground breaking ones, Poland's probably ahead of Sweden, today in totals at least.

4.) This list, probably doesn't account for Polish brain-drain.

Some of the best Polish scientists of today are in the U.S.A.

Like Nikoderm Poplawski who came up with the theory that every Black Hole has another Universe.

Nikodem Popławski - Wikipedia

Like Aleksander Wolszcazn who discovered the first Pulsar planets, and Planets outside of our Solar System.

Aleksander Wolszczan - Wikipedia

Like Maria Siemionow who pioneered face transplant surgery, and having did the first one in the U.S.A.

Maria Siemionow - Wikipedia

why on earth would anyone want to leave Poland?

yes, #24 is bad if you are trying to assert greatness, sorry

LOL, now you are the arbiter of 'groundbreaking'! here we go, here comes your bullshit. I guess you know more than the nobel committee

Being ranked #24 out of roughly 200 countries, would prove Poland's about in the 15% percentile of the World.

Explain how that's bad, exactly?

You don't compare Poland to Mozambique, you compare Poland to Europeans, and in that grouping they score low

According to lists like yours, Per capita some of the biggest innovation countries in the Sciences are countries which hardly have any kind of notable Scientific achievements at any point in history, such as Finland, Switzerland, and Ireland.

This proves that while they might come up with a lot of innovation in the Sciences, very little of it is even ground-breaking, or note-wrothy.

innovation and ground breaking are very hard to define, that is why we have these journal impact factors and journal rankings now. There is also a hell of a lot of self promotion in the glossy scientific articles as well, so you REALLY have to dig to know impact and innovation.

Pure physics is really struggling now, they cannot get a handle on dark matter and have not really had a lot new going on for quite a while. So who leads? probably still the USA, but CERN certainly gives Europe claim to that title. Europe is now quite united on science and given their higher GDP and population, it would be natural they lead. China put out one HELL of a lot of shitty papers, they are definitely third.

Engineering innovation is different, sadly my USA is now behind both Europe and Asia. We are stupid when it comes to trade and intellectual property, and we are lazy in our economic success. We still lead in microprocessors, but that will disappear in the next 50 years I am sure. I met some research staff at Intel, all fucking Asians. It won't be long before all the know how is transferred.

Germany is still a powerhouse in many areas, so are the Brits, Finland likes cruise ships and cell phones. Take away cell phones and I do not know what the Fins do. The Swedes are good at what they choose to do, but being so small and heavily welfare oriented they can only manage a few things. So ironic that such a liberal nation is good at defense goods like missiles and fighters. Norway won the oil lottery, so they don't really have to work. Ireland is a laggard, France and Spain are just ok, not the leaders, the low countries are small but good, Italy not as good it should be given the size and talent, Hungary- not much as I think they like math. Have not heard much from the Poles, but they also do seem eager to engage in what little I knew of them, they do seem to want to improve more than most do.

In the Renaissance Poland was superior in Science.

- Albert Brudzewski's proper rotation of the Moon.

- Copernicus's Heliocentric model.

- Michal Sedziwoj's discovery of Oxygen.

- Jozef Struthius's modern Pulse taking methods.

- Jan Heweliusz first map of the Moon

- Kazimierz Siemienowicz Delta wing multistage rocket.

- Marcin Bylica critique of existing Astronomy.

- Alexius Polonus pioneering in sunspot detection.

-Maria Cunitz new tables in Astronomy.

- Maciej Miechowita's pioneering work in benefits of sanitation against epidemics.

- Jan Brozek's theory of numbers, and discovery of why Bee's make Hexagons for storage.

there it is again, the patented polish dumbfuck method of proof - only list polish anecdotes, ignore all others and pronounce Poland superior.

This is easier to prove, because battles are too much to post, or to even grasp.

The most important Renaissance astronomers are Copernicus of Poland, Galileo of Italy, Kepler of Germany, Albert Brudzewski of Poland, Tycho Brahee of Denmark, Jan Heweliusz of Poland, Giordano Bruno of Italy, and Christian Huygens of Holland.

That out of 8 of those, 3 of them are from Poland.

The most important Renaissance Physicians are Flemish Andreas Vesalius, Polish Jozef Struthius, English William Harvey, Italian Leonardo DaVinci, French Jacques Dubois,
and French Ambroise Pare.

1 out of 6 are from Poland.

Out of the 2 pioneers of Rocket Science during the Renaissance.

Polish Kazimierz Siemonowicz, and Conrad Hass an Austrian are the 2 most important.

In Miscellaneous science the most important are Polish Albert Brudzewski, English Francis Bacon, Fausto Venzio from Croatia,
and German Martin Behain.

1 out of 4 are from Poland.

That out of 18 noble scientist of the Renaissance period, 5 are from Poland, 2 are from Germany, 2 from Italy, 2 from England, 2 from France, 1 from Austria, 1 from Holland, 1 from Denmark, 1 from Croatia, and 1 from Flanders.

hmmm, not dominated by polish accomplishment, and being a trained physicist I have never encountered anybody previously asserting how poland used to be number 1.!

A list which acts like Galileo started it all.

When it was Albert Brudzewski, and Copernicus 2 Poles which initiated modern Astronomy.

Why would you hear about Poland?

The West routinely neglects Poland, probably because they're mostly Germanic peoples, and will fight for Germany's claim to Poland.

I think the West is even worse than Russia.

Poland should really be aligning more with Russia.

there is no question Copernicus was great, no argument there, but placing poland number 1 is altogether different

I am a physicist, when we learn our stuff there are a lot of famous results that are named after the inventor/discoverer. Examples: Newton's Second Law, Maxwell's equations, Gauss' Law, etc. ok so I can't even think of one Polish name there, not one off the top of my head. When I start to make the list of great Physicists like Newton, Einstein, Maxwell, Faraday, Feynman, Tesla, Laplace..... I can't even get to a Polish person until I get down to say Rabi or Curie. The list is dominated by Germans and British really. I am neither, so one can't claim I am biased, it is just observation.

I said Poland was #1 in the Renaissance in Science.

I said nothing about in all time, nor just in Physics.

The fact is Poland after the Partitions was oppressed of Education, which obviously would've hurt it's Scientific Ability.

Germanisation of Poles during the Partitions - Wikipedia

In 1819 the gradual elimination of Polish language in schools began, with German being introduced in its place.[6] This procedure was briefly stopped in 1822 but restarted in 1824.

In 1825 August Jacob, a politician hostile to Poles, gained power over newly created Provincial Educational Collegium in Posen (Poznań).[6] Across the Polish territories Polish teachers were being removed from work, German educational programs were being introduced, and primary schooling was being replaced by German one that aimed at creation of loyal Prussian citizens.[6] Already in 1816 the Polish gymnasium in Bromberg (Bydgoszcz) was turned into a German school and Polish language removed from classes.

In 1825 the Teacher's Seminary in Bromberg was Germanized as well.[6] While in 1824 a Provincial Parliament was invoked in Greater Poland, the representation was based on wealth census, meaning that the end result gave most of the power to German minority in the area.[6] Even when Poles managed to issue calls asking for enforcing of the guarantees formulated in treaties of Congress of Vienna and proclamations of Prussian King in 1815 they were rejected by Prussia.[6] Thus neither the attempt to create Polish University in Posen or Polish Society of Friends of Agriculture, Industry and Education were accepted by authorities.[6] Nevertheless, Poles continued to ask for Polish representation in administration of the area, representing the separate character of the Duchy, keeping the Polish character of schools.[6]

From 1825 the increase of anti-Polish policies became more visible and intense.[6] Prussian political circles demanded end to tolerance of Polishness. Among the Poles two groups emerged, one still hoping for respect of separate status of the Duchy and insisting on working with Prussian authorities hoping that in time they would grant some freedoms. The other faction still hoped for independence of Poland. As consequence many Polish activists were imprisoned.[6] A joint operation of Russian and Prussian secret police managed to discover Polish organizations working in Breslau (Wrocław) and Berlin, whose members were arrested and detained in Prussian jails.[6]

Russification - Wikipedia

in the 1880s, Polish was banned in schools and on school grounds and offices of Congress Poland. Research and teaching of the Polish language, history or of Catholicism were forbidden. Illiteracy rose as Poles refused to learn Russian. Students were beaten for resisting Russification.[11] A Polish underground education network was formed, including the famous Flying University. According to Russian estimates, by 1901 one-third of the inhabitants in the Congress Kingdom was involved in clandestine education based on Polish literature.[12]

Starting in the 1840s Russia considered introducing Cyrillic script for spelling the Polish language, with the first school books printed in the 1860s; these attempts failed.[13]

A similar development took place in Lithuania.[10] Its Governor General, Mikhail Muravyov, prohibited the public use of spoken Polish and Lithuanian and closed Polish and Lithuanian schools; teachers from other parts of Russia who did not speak these languages were moved in to teach pupils. Muravyov also banned the use of Latin and Gothic scripts in publishing. He was reported saying, "What the Russian bayonet didn't accomplish, the Russian school will." ("что не додѣлалъ русскій штыкъ – додѣлаетъ русская школа.") This ban, which was only lifted in 1904, was disregarded by the Knygnešiai, the Lithuanian book smugglers, who brought Lithuanian publications printed in the Latin alphabet, the historic orthography of the Lithuanian language, from Lithuania Minor, a part of East Prussia, and from the United States into the Lithuanian-speaking areas of Imperial Russia. The knygnešiai became a symbol of the resistance of Lithuanians against Russification.

The campaign also promoted the Russian Orthodox faith over Catholicism. The measures used included closing down Catholic monasteries, officially banning the building of new churches and giving many of the old ones to the Russian Orthodox church, banning Catholic schools and establishing state schools which taught only the Orthodox religion, requiring Catholic priests to preach only officially approved sermons, requiring that Catholics who married members of the Orthodox church convert, requiring Catholic nobles to pay an additional tax in the amount of 10% of their profits, limiting the amount of land a Catholic peasant could own, and switching from the Gregorian calendar (used by Catholics) to the Julian one (used by members of the Orthodox churc

meanwhile, congrats to Poland on ranking well behind Sweden in scientific contribution in 2016 despite having 4 times as many people. Ranked number #24, gee I can see why you think Poland is real science powerhouse

2.) I never said Poland was #1 today, just that it's doing some pretty good things for Science, once again.

3.) Presumably in this list, a lot of the recorded papers, and patents aren't ground-breaking, I'd imagine that when you account ground breaking ones, Poland's probably ahead of Sweden, today in totals at least.

Like Nikoderm Poplawski who came up with the theory that every Black Hole has another Universe.

Like Aleksander Wolszcazn who discovered the first Pulsar planets, and Planets outside of our Solar System.

Like Maria Siemionow who pioneered face transplant surgery, and having did the first one in the U.S.A.

LOL, now you are the arbiter of 'groundbreaking'! here we go, here comes your bullshit. I guess you know more than the nobel committee

Being ranked #24 out of roughly 200 countries, would prove Poland's about in the 15% percentile of the World.

You don't compare Poland to Mozambique, you compare Poland to Europeans, and in that grouping they score low

Mozambique gained it's Independence since 1975, Poland didn't truly gain it's Independence in 1989.

Actually Poland faced a lot more oppression, and genocide than Mozambique.

So, according to Liberals, Mozambique should have a better record on Science today, as they haven't suffered the same fates as Poland of brutalization.

ok, so that is valid but I thought you were asserting today's greatness? It is odd to simultaneously make excuses while asserting greatness.

It is the same Soviet stifling of economic and intellectual achievement that made them suffer at war. The Russian officers dared not do anything outside the box or they would be shot. Only at the top levels, like with Zhukov, was there real innovation and boldness that won battles. Company grade officers simply lined up the men and charged as ordered.

According to lists like yours, Per capita some of the biggest innovation countries in the Sciences are countries which hardly have any kind of notable Scientific achievements at any point in history, such as Finland, Switzerland, and Ireland.

This proves that while they might come up with a lot of innovation in the Sciences, very little of it is even ground-breaking, or note-wrothy.

China put out one HELL of a lot of shitty papers, they are definitely third.

So, you are admitting a country can put out a lot of shitty papers, and shitty patents that propels the number forward without being ground-breaking?

So, how do you figure Sweden's beating this list of Polish innovations?

Polish Greatness

You think you are making the case that poles are a tough underdog nut-to-crack militarily when they got absolutely smoked in 1939, and they were out numbered by only 3 to 2.

No, Poland was outnumbered 2 to 1 in WW2.

When it came to Tanks Poland was outnumbered by nearly 8 to 1.

You act like Nazi Germany was a tough underdog nut to crack militarily , but they lost to Soviets in WW2.

So, what's the difference?

The difference is Poland was more outnumbered in WW2, than Nazis were.

In the Battle of Stalingrad for example Nazis, and Soviets had nearly equal numbers of forces, and Nazis still lost.

Battle of Stalingrad - Wikipedia

Actually Wikipedia puts Nazis as having more frontline strength in Operation Barbarossa, than Soviets.

Operation Barbarossa - Wikipedia

This was the first truly modern war too, with constant aerial bombardment and battle. Allied commanders needed overwhelming firepower to achieve battle success

Actually, in a modern war, it's less about tactics, and more about how much you can afford to buy.

Poland was a rather new Nation for only 21 years when WW2 hit, as opposed to Germany which was around to build up it's economy much longer.

So, it's no wonder why Germany could afford to spend far more on military.

Pure bullshit- France and England were technology peers, it was German tactics, efficiency, and leadership that mattered. Any analysis of the battle of France comes to that conclusion, it is almost universal consensus, but here genius you comes along and asserts otherwise.

Nazi Germany, and France in WW2 had similar numbers during the Battle of France AKA the French Invasion.

How does that prove that Nazi Germany somehow had more victories when outnumbered?

Yes, Nazi Germany won, but they were hardly outnumbered against France.

It doesn't, it was just part of the discussion and I was countering your point about modern war. The western allies outnumbered the Germans, had higher GDP bases to draw from, had technological parity in weapons, and entered the Battle of France with only 1 disadvantage- the Luftwaffe had more aircraft. The Maginot line was so strong, Hitler dared not touch it. Hitler also knew that if he waited too long then the economic and population resources of the western allies would make victory impossible, he wanted to attack right after poland but the field commanders said no way was that possible. It was hardly a situation where Germany was an unbeatable monster.

So why did the Germans mop the floor with them? The German organization, battle plan, and tactics were way ahead of the allies. The German morale was sky high and discipline was outstanding. That coupled with insanely poor French leadership gave the result. It had nothing to do with how much each spent on their military in this case since there was parity in that regard.

Here is an interesting article below. I grew up a proud american thinking that our guys were supermen on the battlefield, GI Joe and John Wayne type shit. The more I studied war, the more I realized that the average american army unit in WWII wasn't that good. I don't know why we kids could not be taught the truth, there is nothing wrong really by winning the war with quantity over quality.

Their Wehrmacht Was Better Than Our Army

On a man for man basis, German ground soldiers consistently inflicted casualties at about a 50 percent higher rate than they incurred from the opposing British and American troops under all circumstances (emphasis in original). This was true when they were attacking and when they were defending, when they had a local numerical superiority and when, as was usually the case, they were outnumbered, when they had air superiority and when they did not, when they won and when they lost.

China put out one HELL of a lot of shitty papers, they are definitely third.

So, you are admitting a country can put out a lot of shitty papers, and shitty patents that propels the number forward without being ground-breaking?

So, how do you figure Sweden's beating this list of Polish innovations?

Polish Greatness

I am not going to waste my time digging up Sweden's list, frankly I just dont care enough. I am going by the Scientific American ranking system of papers, tech spending, and patents. But come on, stop making lists and take a look at the rest of the world. Sweden makes Volvos and fighter jets, maybe someday Poland will catch up

Why Does Sweden Have So Many Start-Ups?

Stockholm produces the second-highest number of billion-dollar tech companies per capita, after Silicon Valley, and in Sweden overall, there are 20 start-ups—here defined as companies of any size that have been around for at most three years—per 1,000 employees, compared to just five in the United States, according to data from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). “What you see is that start-ups have a high survival rate in Sweden, and they have relatively fast growth,” Flavio Calvino, an OECD economist, told me. Sweden also ranks highest in the developed world when it comes to perceptions of opportunity: Around 65 percent of Swedes aged 18 to 64 think there are good opportunities to start a firm where they live, compared to just 47 percent of Americans in that age group.

Mozambique gained it's Independence since 1975, Poland didn't truly gain it's Independence in 1989.

Actually Poland faced a lot more oppression, and genocide than Mozambique.

So, according to Liberals, Mozambique should have a better record on Science today, as they haven't suffered the same fates as Poland of brutalization.

ok, so that is valid but I thought you were asserting today's greatness? It is odd to simultaneously make excuses while asserting greatness.

It is the same Soviet stifling of economic and intellectual achievement that made them suffer at war. The Russian officers dared not do anything outside the box or they would be shot. Only at the top levels, like with Zhukov, was there real innovation and boldness that won battles. Company grade officers simply lined up the men and charged as ordered.

Konstantin Rokossovsky was an ethnic Pole, who was one of the best Soviet generals of WW2.

Otto Skorzeny was also an ethnic Pole, who was one of the more interesting Nazi German military commanders.

- Maciej Miechowita's pioneering work in benefits of sanitation against epidemics.

- Jan Brozek's theory of numbers, and discovery of why Bee's make Hexagons for storage.

there it is again, the patented polish dumbfuck method of proof - only list polish anecdotes, ignore all others and pronounce Poland superior.

This is easier to prove, because battles are too much to post, or to even grasp.

The most important Renaissance astronomers are Copernicus of Poland, Galileo of Italy, Kepler of Germany, Albert Brudzewski of Poland, Tycho Brahee of Denmark, Jan Heweliusz of Poland, Giordano Bruno of Italy, and Christian Huygens of Holland.

The most important Renaissance Physicians are Flemish Andreas Vesalius, Polish Jozef Struthius, English William Harvey, Italian Leonardo DaVinci, French Jacques Dubois,

Polish Kazimierz Siemonowicz, and Conrad Hass an Austrian are the 2 most important.

In Miscellaneous science the most important are Polish Albert Brudzewski, English Francis Bacon, Fausto Venzio from Croatia,

That out of 18 noble scientist of the Renaissance period, 5 are from Poland, 2 are from Germany, 2 from Italy, 2 from England, 2 from France, 1 from Austria, 1 from Holland, 1 from Denmark, 1 from Croatia, and 1 from Flanders.

hmmm, not dominated by polish accomplishment, and being a trained physicist I have never encountered anybody previously asserting how poland used to be number 1.!

When it was Albert Brudzewski, and Copernicus 2 Poles which initiated modern Astronomy.

The West routinely neglects Poland, probably because they're mostly Germanic peoples, and will fight for Germany's claim to Poland.

there is no question Copernicus was great, no argument there, but placing poland number 1 is altogether different

Feynman,

Feynman was a Polish American Jew who looked Polish.

Feynman looked way more like a Pole, than like a Semite.

Karl Marx on the other hand....

Nobel prize winners in Physics

List of Nobel laureates in Physics - Wikipedia
List of Nobel laureates by country - Wikipedia

Poland 3
Austria 3
Canada 3
Denmark 3
Hungary 3
France 8
Holland 7
Germany 29
UK 22
Russia 7

so don't even bother with some sort of 'poland is great at science' crap

The start of the Scientific Revolution is considered generally when Polish Copernicus formulated the Heliocentric Model, his Polish mentor Albert Brudzewski could be considered part of that, having discovered the proper Rotation of the Moon.

Poland was #1 in Science before the Partitions.

Post Partitions Germans, land Russians limited, or even eliminated Polish education.

Soviets stifled creative potential.

But, Poland's done some pretty good things for Science, once again.

Not that it ever stopped.

This was a pretty important Polish Physicist of the 20th century, for example.

Marian Smoluchowski - Wikipedia

I've read somewhere before that in in the Interwar period Poland was #5, or #6 in patents in Europe... (I can't find the link)

Which was quite impressive, actually, considering Poland was left as one of poorest, and most illiterate nations, due to the Partitions oppression against Polish education.

Why is it surprising Poland would have declined in Patents since then?

Nazis killed many Polish intellectual elites, as did Soviets.

German AB-Aktion in Poland - Wikipedia

Massacre of Lwów professors - Wikipedia

Operation Tannenberg - Wikipedia

Katyn massacre - Wikipedia

Soviet stagnated Polish wealth behind even further, and had stifled creativity.

When I start to make the list of great Physicists like Newton, Einstein, Maxwell, Faraday, Feynman, Tesla, Laplace..... I can't even get to a Polish person until I get down to say Rabi or Curie. The list is dominated by Germans and British really. I am neither, so one can't claim I am biased, it is just observation.

Newton is probably #1 in psychics , but before Newton, in the 1400's - early 1600's Poland had produced quite more impressive scientists than Britain.

Around the time of Newton's birth, Poland had 4 million people people killed, in the Deluge + Khmelnytsky Uprising where Sweden, Russia, Cossacks, and Tatars ganged up on Poland.

How do you know the Polish version of Newton didn't get killed in this period, actually?

This Pole co-discovered Brownian Motion, had it not been for Einstein's existence, this Pole would've probably been a much bigger name.

Marian Smoluchowski - Wikipedia

Poland played a bigger role in cinema than Britain.

A Foreigner's Guide to Polish Cinema | Article | Culture.pl

There is no mistaking the forefathers of cinematography - while Edison created the kinetoscope which recorded film onto tape, Auguste and Louis Lumière patented the cinematograph, which allowed viewing by multiple parties at once. But the geniuses from France and America weren't alone in contributing to the invention of film.

In 19th-century Poland, several inventors, among them Piotr Lebiedziński, were working on creating a cinematograph of their own. In 1893, Lebiedziński, a chemist and amateur photographer, beat the Lumière brothers by two years in developing a machine called the pleograph, which could record short films. For technical reasons, the device was never used on a large scale. The invention, however, continued to evolve thanks to inventor Kazimierz Prószyński.

Polish inventors played an important role in the development of cinematography and television. In 1897, a brilliant inventor referred to as the "Polish Edison", Jan Szczepanik, obtained a British patent for his "telectroscope". This television prototype could transmit image and sound, thus enabling live viewing of remote images and sounds. With the invention of appropriate technology years later, his concept became reality.

Another inventor whose work was part of the incremental development process is Siegmund Lubin (Zygmunt Lubszyński), an American Jew of Polish origins. He is credited with the invention of the first cinema projector. While Thomas Edison patented a kinetoscope that weighed almost a ton, Lubin's phantoscope weighed a mere 25 kilograms (55 pounds) and was altered to be even lighter. In the dog-eat-dog film industry, Lubin, previously a contact lens salesman, became Edison's number one competitor.

Polish cinematography dates back to the end of World War I, when Poland regained independence following 120 years of occupation. Yet the first, and only left undamaged, Polish feature film is Pruska kultura (Prussian Culture) from 1908. The large majority of the films produced by the burgeoning industry were melodramas and patriotic films.

Polish cinematography developed dynamically during the inter-war period. Over 150 film studios were set up. Among the most important ones were Sfinks, Leo-Film and Falanga. Their yearly production would amount to 30 features and between 100 and 300 shorts. The most important film of the period was an adaptation of Eliza Orzeszkowa's novel Cham (The Boor) directed by Jan Nowina-Przybylski, which was shown in 13 different countries.

The inter-war period also had its star actors: Adolf Dymsza, Jadwiga Smosarska and Eugeniusz Bodo.

Remembering Stefan Kudelski, the man whose tape recorder changed filmmaking forever

Remembering Stefan Kudelski, the man whose tape recorder changed filmmaking forever
By Amar Toor@amartoo Feb 4, 2013, 3:55am EST SHARE

kudelskidapper-45987a60118d9361bd0c65b4f58a49ea7c152d63.jpg

stefan kudelski
Stefan Kudelski, the Polish engineer whose Nagra III portable tape recorder revolutionized Hollywood and documentary filmmaking, died last week at the age of 83. Unveiled in 1958, the 14-pound Nagra III made it possible for New Wave filmmakers like Jean-Luc Godard and François Truffaut to shoot in an off-the-cuff, improvisational style, while enabling D.A. Pennebaker to more easily record audio for his seminal Bob Dylan documentary, Don't Look Back. Kudeski's innovations earned him Academy Awards in 1965, 1977, 1978, and 1990, as well as Emmy awards in 1984 and 1986.

"There was virtually no film made from 1961 until the early ’90s that did not use the Nagra," Oscar-winning sound engineer Chris Newman told the New York Times. "We would not have the movies we have today without it."

Aeroscope - Wikipedia

Patented in England in 1910 by the Polish inventor Kazimierz Prószyński,[1] Aeroscope was the first successful hand-held operated film camera. It has been powered by compressed air pumped before filming into the camera with a simple hand pump, similar to the one we still use to pump bicycle tires. Filming with Aeroscope, a cameraman did not have to turn the crank to advance the material filming, as in all cameras of that time, so he could operate the camera with both hands, holding the camera and controlling the focus. This made it possible to film with the Aeroscope hand-held in most difficult circumstances, as well as made possible to film from the airplanes, also for the military purposes. Camera carried 400 feet (120 m) of 35mm film and, once pressurised, could work with no further pumping for up to 10 minutes. The Aeroscope was known for its simplicity and reliability.[1]

Popularity[edit]
Hundreds of light and relatively compact Aeroscope cameras were used by the British War Office for the combat cameramen on the battlefields of World War I, and later by all newsreel cameramen all over world, until the late 1920s. Aeroscope has been used among others by Arthur Herbert Malins recognized by Kelly (1997, Page 60) as “the most famous of the war cinematographers” who used it at the battle of the Somme. As several of the cameramen died filming from the firing lines Aeroscope got a name of camera of death.

In 1928 Prószyński built an improved version of his camera, with an air pressure meter, but the more practical spring cameras like Eyemo and later Bolex took over. However, even by the beginning of World War II, some of the improved Aeroscope cameras were in use by the British combat cameramen.

I can't even get to a Polish person until I get down to say Rabi or Curie. The list is dominated by Germans and British really. I am neither, so one can't claim I am biased, it is just observation.

Germans, and British have dominated European brutality, and genocide as well.

The intellectual elite of these countries, doesn't necessarily make them smarter as a collective.

China has fared modestly for about the past 800 years, but none the less they top in IQ scores, and also PISA scores.

Actually, I think that the typical Brits, and Germans are a little slow intellectually.

How did Germany go from voting in Hitler, to voting in Merkel?
Neither is a logical choice.

It seems Germans are kind of dumb, and are very thuggish, and violent.... Even if their intellectual elite has been impressive.

but CERN certainly gives Europe claim to that title.

CERN was heavily developed thanks to Georges Charpak, a Polish Jew, who looked 100% Polish, and 0% Jewish.

I can't even get to a Polish person until I get down to say Rabi or Curie. The list is dominated by Germans and British really. I am neither, so one can't claim I am biased, it is just observation.

Germans, and British have dominated European brutality, and genocide as well.

The intellectual elite of these countries, doesn't necessarily make them smarter as a collective.

China has fared modestly for about the past 800 years, but none the less they top in IQ scores, and also PISA scores.

Actually, I think that the typical Brits, and Germans are a little slow intellectually.

How did Germany go from voting in Hitler, to voting in Merkel?
Neither is a logical choice.

It seems Germans are kind of dumb, and are very thuggish, and violent.... Even if their intellectual elite has been impressive.

I was a research scientist, I did deal with the elites. I don't know what the hell you mean by collective smarts other than how large groups behave, but if you look at tech companies and product output then Germany is a real world leader.

This list is a little misleading. Ireland makes a lot of things as a low tax manufacturing country, but their value added is only that. Germany actually developed a lot of what the sell. Finland looks so good since they built so much of their economy on cell phones. Poland is #41, so again maybe they will move on up as they get over their Soviet hangover, but as of today they have a ways to go. I don't see why not, to me Northern Europe is all pretty much the same as far as genetic talent.

Countries Compared by Economy > High-technology > Exports > Current US$ > Per capita. International Statistics at NationMaster.com

To me the real story is the drop of the USA, we used to lead, now we are net importers. The mighty have fallen.

Considering the mockery, and slander / libel against Poles I think it's necessary.

Has any ethnic population been more scapegoated, and slandered?

There's so many negative stereotypes upon Poles, like dumb Polak, thieves, criminals, drunks, prostitutes, weak at war, using horses in WW2, starting WW2 in Bromberg Massacre, being the land of the Holocaust, being Nazi collaborators.

Most of these are downright slander / libel, or and many others are extreme exaggerations.

.1.) Are Poles dumb?
Poland in the Renaissance was the European leader in science, even the Scientific Revolution came from Poland thanks to Copernicus, and Albert Brudzewski.

Polish Americans scored a massive 109 IQ.
While Poland's IQ is considered to be 99, this is by no means low.
The PISA scores of Poland are high, the literacy rates of Poland are high, and Poland wins many intellectual competitions like the IBM Battle of the Brains Contest, the University Rover Challenge, the Google Online Marketing Challenge, Google Code Jam, among others.

So, no I wouldn't say Poles are particularly dumb.,

2.) Thieves, or criminals?

Poland was the first European country to successfully hold off slavery.

Poland had no involved in Colonialism, nor the Atlantic Slave Trade of thievery, or Criminality.

As for common criminals?

Poland's murder rate is now lower than the EU average.

There's an extreme exaggeration of Polish as being a particularly criminal population in UK media, and British circles.

But, Poles are estimated to have 6,700 or so criminals yearly, as opposed to 1.19 million criminals yearly in the UK.

This would support that 0.5% of criminals in the UK were Polish, while over 1.0% of the UK was Polish.

So, actually Poles are underrepresented in crime in the UK.

3.) Drunks?

This map shows that Poles were less likely to be diagnosed with alcoholism than most of Northern Europe.

pca_sociocultural_plots.png

4.) Prostitutes?

Poles have one of the latest ages for losing virginity in Europe.

While, there might be some Polish prostitutes.

Most Polish girls are if anything more prude than most of Europe.

5.) Weak at war?

I don't think anyone has won more battles when outnumbered than Poles.

Quite a few Polish battles come to mind, the Battle of Hodow, Battle of Klushino, Battle of Kircholm, Battle of Lubieszow, Battle of Trembowla, battle of fuengirola etc.

6.( While it's true that Poles had Horse units in WW2.

So did everyone else except Great Britain.

Actually the Nazis, and Soviets each had many times more Horses than Poland.

So, why do many anti-Polish Nazis, and anti-Polish Soviets ignore these facts?

7.) Bromberg Massacre starting before WW2 is not historically accepted.

But, many Nazis, or German sympathizers try, none the less.

I think the fact that Nazi Germany had claimed a Bromberg Massacre was going on since March of 1939, but invaded Czechoslovakia in March of 1939 instead of Poland says all that needs to be said.

8.) While it's true that Poland is where many Concentration Camps are located.

The Nazi Germans had annexed this land.

Furthermore Nazi Germany first put Poles into Auschwitz, rather than Jews.

Up to 100's of thousands of Poles passed through the Concentration Camps, and 100's of thousands of more Poles were killed in Nazi massacres, including Wola Massacre, the Ponary Massace, Operation Tannenberg etc.

9.) Poland was the first nation to fight the Nazis.

After the Nazis had invaded, Poland had the biggest anti-Nazi resistance in occupied Europe.

Poles had the highest number of Righteous Among the Nations risk their lives to save Holocaust victim Jews, some serious names come to mind like Eugene Lazowski, Henryk Slawik, or Irena Sendler.
(This is in spite of the fact that Poland was the only nation in occupied Europe that a death penalty was created for aiding Holocaust Jews.

Zegota was an entire Polish organization which had dedicate their time, lives, and resources to aiding Holocaust victim Jews.

With that said, Poles like all populations of Europe had some Nazi collaborators.

But, there's no recorded Polish Nazi SS units in Europe.

Furthermore even the Jews had some Nazi collaborators.
Actually the Jewish historian Emanuel Ringelblum who lived his last days in the Nazi controlled Warsaw Ghetto, had admitted that Jewish Nazi collaborators of the Jewish Ghetto Police, were more brutal than Polish Nazi collaborators of the Polish Blue Police.

Polacks are decent people. Sorry, I'm just not as offended by this thread as the "other" one.

Y'all ain't superior to shit. That being said, Polacks are alright by me.

I just thought that I'd use my interwebz, and fingertipz to say that I too can post such a thread.

That's fine. :) Maybe I post a "White Greatness" thread. ;)

Oooh, I may not be as white as some other people, though.

Even though my family's been in America since before it was America.

My skin is olive-ish and I have blonde-ish hair.

If fair is fair, Whites should also have such rights to post the same way.

Although I can't help but to notice quite a few forums allow anti-White comments, but not anti-Black comments.
Polish and Jewish are white people. Ethnicity and race are different critters. You have the right to post what you want though. If people find it boring, find another thread.

you want to claim great battles where the poles lost both the battle and the war, but dismiss anyone else who did the same.

No, you want to ignore Polish victories, and harp on Nazi German's lost.

Why?
Who knows you're a clown.
It is called being objective and fair. Why don't you want to be objective when making your claims? I don't know, maybe you have a polish penis stuck up your ass?

Objective?

You haven't even come close....None of the groups you mentioned are even competition for Poland's Golden Age...

The best military commander is definitely Genghiz Khan... But... Polish Boleslaw Chrobry, and Jan Sobieski are very close, in fact so are some others.

Furthermore, Poles have a more consistent victory margin than Mongols.

Also Swedes come very close to Poles in victories when outnumbered.

Yes Spartans for only a very brief period.

It's not Nazi Germany, or Confederates, who are even in question.... You sound like a moron to even discuss that.

I am taking Hannibal on offense because I think he would rapidly learn, Napolean for fighting a defense using offense. For digging in and simply holding out as long as possible, that list would be huge, it is a lot easier. Isreal fought and won 3 wars of annilihation in 25 years, I am hiring them if I want to play defense with conventional weapons.

Ghenghiz Khan on offense.

Jan III Sobieski on defense.

Battle of Podhajce (1667) - Wikipedia

Battle of Zboriv (1649) - Wikipedia

Battle of Khotyn (1673) - Wikipedia

Battle of Vienna - Wikipedia
When the Mongols held their Kurultai to elect a new Khan, all campaigns were aborted and the warriors went home.

ber, Polish ecological rocket
29119722_29061657.jpg
Photo: Fotolia
ILR-33 "AMBER" - the world\'s first rocket capable of reaching the threshold of outer space that uses more than 98% hydrogen peroxide as an oxidizer- has recently reached the 15 km ceiling. It was developed at the Center of Space Technologies of the Institute of Aviation.

The results of construction and tests of this rocket had been presented at the Institute of Aviation in Warsaw during the plenary meeting of the Space and Satellite Research Committee of the Polish Academy of Sciences.

ILR-33 "AMBER" (Polish name: "BURSZTYN") rocket is a project of the Center of Space Technologies of the Institute of Aviation. It is the world\'s first rocket that uses more than 98% hydrogen peroxide as an oxidizer. The technology for obtaining such a high concentration was developed and patented at the Institute of Aviation a few years ago. The exceptionally concentrated oxidizer allows the rocket to achieve better performance at a lower mass - the project leader Eng. Michał Pakosz explained in an interview with PAP. (The commonly known hydrogen peroxide solution has a concentration of only 3%).

ILR-33 AMBER uses an innovative ecological rocket propulsion - instead of the commonly used toxic and caustic hydrazine, the fuel is specially prepared (also at the institute) polyethylene. Pakosz admitted that polyethylene waste could theoretically be used as rocket fuel.

The test flight took place on October 22, 2017 on the training ground in Drawsko Pomorskie. With partially filled fuel and oxidant tanks, the rocket reached the ceiling of almost 15 km - the maximum altitude flight limit for inland training grounds in Poland. However, after full refuelling, it could reach a ceiling of 100 kilometres, which is a conventional boundary of the outer space. The maximum speed is over 1200 m/s - higher than muzzle velocity of a rifle.

The project refers to the history of the Institute of Aviation - meteorological rockets "Meteor", developed in 1967-1974. However, thanks to the latest available technologies and proprietary solutions, ILR-33 "Amber" has performance similar to the historic Meteor 2 rocket at half the launch weight (about 180 kg).

ILR-33 AMBER allows to test rocket components at 10G and conduct tests in micro-gravity conditions during suborbital flights (micro-gravity 1000 times lower than the Earth gravity lasts up to 150 seconds).

"This is an alternative to such solutions as a drop tower, parabolic flights and costly research on board the International Space Station" - Eng. Pakosz told PAP. The rocket will allow to test, for example, prototypes of small devices intended for use in space.

"The development of the rocket is not only about publications in leading international scientific journals and the possibility of conducting research. It is above all a way to carry out a number of commercial project" - Pakosz emphasised. The specialist from the institute mentioned military applications, for example. (PAP)

Author: Paweł Wernicki

pmw/ zan/ kap/

tr. RL

Amber, Polish ecological rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back