Police State: Man Detained For Walking With Hands In Pockets...

Reasonable suspicion is a catch all phrase.
Not if it can be reasonably articulated.
Not to hard to say he looked "shifty eyed".
In truth, the real reason is sometimes he did look shifty eyed to the cop, so the cop says "he broke out in a sweat and began patting his pockets and gave evasive answers ..." (-:

That's not probable cause.
You live in a fantasy world, thinking law and order is the same for whites as it is for blacks. And we can talk about stats and black crime all you want. When it comes down to it, proportions or not..whites commit a major amount of crime and violence.

You guys don't seem to realize...if a cop wants to arrest you, he can without any issues or blowback White people don't realize this because the coppers lets them go...black people realize this because they experience it...why do you think the arrest numbers are skewed.

Bull. Cops can certainly do some things like say they smelled marijuana when they didn't and other cops are probably going to back them up. So if you have pot and they say that and they find it, you are probably screwed.
Yeah...they can justify the arrest after the fact...you make my point for me!
No, I didn't. You are making the ridiculous jump to that everyone is guilty. What I am saying is that it isn't arresting the guilty ones that are likely to bring them down, it's arresting the innocent ones. Probable cause isn't evidence. You start arresting blacks becasue they are black, you will be brought down.

However, to say they can "arrest you" and do it "without any issues or throwback" is complete crap. They can't arrest you because you sweated or have shifty eyes. They have to be able to give an actual reason. And if they are wrong, like they smell pot and you don't have it, they can get away with it to a degree, but if they overdo it they will get into trouble eventually. What lawyers look at are patterns. So if they are establishing that complaints are consistently coming from certain groups, it will probably be noticed.
Not true. Disturbing the peace...loitering...littering...trespassing...a cop can arrest anyone for any reason. Outside of the arrest being video taped, it is their word against a ******* word. The cops word will always win.
Right, it's 50s Mississippi. Again, can they get away with it once? Probably? Repeatedly? No.

Most cops care about their job and try to do a good job. That there are bad ones is certainly true, and that blacks have gotten far more scrutiny is undeniable, and I'm not claiming it's 100% even now. On the other hand, this isn't 1950s Mississippi no matter how much you want to pretend it is.
I agree...most cops are honorable and should be given the same (If not more) respect that we give to our military heroes.

As for Jim Crow era...you would be surprised how much gruff blacks get from cops. Look at how they treated the protesters in Ferguson (prior to the looting and rioting). Look how they treated blacks in the wake of Katrina...guns pointed at refugees who lost everything...Towns blocking bridges so blacks couldn't enter their town. Open your eyes. Look at the difference between teapers threatening to use women as human shields and snipers zeroing in on LEO during the Bundy fiasco...Jim Crow may be gone, but police bias towards the negro has not been eradicated.

Sweeping statements and anectodal arguments are so powerful, thanks for that insight.

In truth, the real reason is sometimes he did look shifty eyed to the cop, so the cop says "he broke out in a sweat and began patting his pockets and gave evasive answers ..." (-:

You live in a fantasy world, thinking law and order is the same for whites as it is for blacks. And we can talk about stats and black crime all you want. When it comes down to it, proportions or not..whites commit a major amount of crime and violence.

Strawman, I never said it was the same and I have said several times it isn't. Further, it is begging the question, it isn't an argument against anything I argued.

You guys don't seem to realize...if a cop wants to arrest you, he can without any issues or blowback White people don't realize this because the coppers lets them go...black people realize this because they experience it...why do you think the arrest numbers are skewed.

Bull. Cops can certainly do some things like say they smelled marijuana when they didn't and other cops are probably going to back them up. So if you have pot and they say that and they find it, you are probably screwed.
No, I didn't. You are making the ridiculous jump to that everyone is guilty. What I am saying is that it isn't arresting the guilty ones that are likely to bring them down, it's arresting the innocent ones. Probable cause isn't evidence. You start arresting blacks becasue they are black, you will be brought down.

However, to say they can "arrest you" and do it "without any issues or throwback" is complete crap. They can't arrest you because you sweated or have shifty eyes. They have to be able to give an actual reason. And if they are wrong, like they smell pot and you don't have it, they can get away with it to a degree, but if they overdo it they will get into trouble eventually. What lawyers look at are patterns. So if they are establishing that complaints are consistently coming from certain groups, it will probably be noticed.
Not true. Disturbing the peace...loitering...littering...trespassing...a cop can arrest anyone for any reason. Outside of the arrest being video taped, it is their word against a ******* word. The cops word will always win.
Right, it's 50s Mississippi. Again, can they get away with it once? Probably? Repeatedly? No.
The stats speak for themselves...they get away with it all of the time.

Most cops care about their job and try to do a good job. That there are bad ones is certainly true, and that blacks have gotten far more scrutiny is undeniable, and I'm not claiming it's 100% even now. On the other hand, this isn't 1950s Mississippi no matter how much you want to pretend it is.
I agree...most cops are honorable and should be given the same (If not more) respect that we give to our military heroes.

As for Jim Crow era...you would be surprised how much gruff blacks get from cops. Look at how they treated the protesters in Ferguson (prior to the looting and rioting). Look how they treated blacks in the wake of Katrina...guns pointed at refugees who lost everything...Towns blocking bridges so blacks couldn't enter their town. Open your eyes. Look at the difference between teapers threatening to use women as human shields and snipers zeroing in on LEO during the Bundy fiasco...Jim Crow may be gone, but police bias towards the negro has not been eradicated.
Sweeping statements and anectodal arguments are so powerful, thanks for that insight.
No response is so powerful...thanks for your lack of ability to respond.

Strawman, I never said it was the same and I have said several times it isn't. Further, it is begging the question, it isn't an argument against anything I argued.
Okay. I stand corrected.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
Yep. But that isn't cause for arrest. What's found is. A cop would be grossly incompetent to ignore an evasive shifty eyed individual in that situation.

Proportionately? Can you prove that?

Proportionately? Can you prove that?
Prove what? Proportionately, blacks commit more crimes according to FBI statistics...but that is not the entire story.

Prove what? Proportionately, blacks commit more crimes according to FBI statistics...but that is not the entire story.
Unfortunately, I am unable to read the few tea leaves in your spittoon.
I don't understand what you want me to justify.

And why would there be tea leaves in a spittoon. What, are you from Appalachia or something?

No tea leaves. Whites commit the majority of crime. When you start trying to make inroads on that fact or try to make that stat go away that simply means you are embarrassed.

OK, fair enough. Show where the stats show that the United States of the 20 teens is all Mississippi in the 50s and we're good. Else, I'm calling you a useless, partisan leftist authoritarian biatch who has no intellectual integrity, morality, intelligence or manhood. Your choice, so what is it?

I don't understand what you want me to justify.

And why would there be tea leaves in a spittoon. What, are you from Appalachia or something?
You failed to tell us what you think 'the rest' of the story is.

OK, fair enough. Show where the stats show that the United States of the 20 teens is all Mississippi in the 50s and we're good. Else, I'm calling you a useless, partisan leftist authoritarian biatch who has no intellectual integrity, morality, intelligence or manhood. Your choice, so what is it?
Ask your question in English with proper grammar and maybe I can understand how you want me to respond. I have no idea what the hell you are saying.

Forum List

Back