Police Seize First Firearms Under Florida's New Gun Control Laws

Broward County judge on Friday issued the state’s first order temporarily removing guns from a person under Florida’s new gun-control laws.

Four firearms and 267 rounds of ammunition were ordered removed from a 56-year-old Lighthouse Point man who was determined to be a potential risk to himself or others.

The guns and ammunition have been temporarily removed from the man under the state’s new “risk protection” law, which is also sometimes called “red flag” legislation, Lighthouse Point City Attorney Michael Cirullo confirmed.

Police seize first firearms under Florida's new gun-control laws

Don't doubt your article but the new laws are not suppose to take effect until July 1.

Likely drawing a law suite.
suit. suite is a collection of furniture. or a connected set of rooms

Maybe the red flag went into effect before the rest of the laws.

It's incorrect and perhaps intentionally inflammatory to say "police seize". The police have limited power to seize firearms without permission from a judge and a court order, just like it's always been.

Broward County judge on Friday issued the state’s first order temporarily removing guns from a person under Florida’s new gun-control laws.

Four firearms and 267 rounds of ammunition were ordered removed from a 56-year-old Lighthouse Point man who was determined to be a potential risk to himself or others.

The guns and ammunition have been temporarily removed from the man under the state’s new “risk protection” law, which is also sometimes called “red flag” legislation, Lighthouse Point City Attorney Michael Cirullo confirmed.

And so it starts. This time with someone who may actually be a threat. But notice no allegation of a crime-let alone due process and proof-no required testimony by mental health professionals, no compensation for the man's valuable property and no proof the man will ever actually get any promised hearing or that if they ever actually occur they won't be accompanied by required "legal fees" far higher than the average person could possibly afford. Tyranny dressed up to look good.

Just think of it. You piss someone off at work, or your ex gets a wild hair and its done. Bet Florida LE's are exempt from this.
Bullshit. You think LE's and judges are that stupid? They've heard a thing or two. Unless you're a homicidal/suicidal maniac, you have no worries.
You get more stupid with each post. These kinds of "laws" always get abused and can be used as tools to force people to do things they don't want to do. The fascists enforcing these laws rarely ever have them applied to them.
Give me a for instance.
Civil asset forfeiture. Originally started as an anti-racketeering and money laundering deterrent. It has morphed into a multi-million dollar cash cow for local and state police agencies. As such police departments at every level routinely abuse it at their leisure.
When you allow 'authority' to usurp due process it has and will be abused.

List of extremes...but extremes are inevitable.
10 Egregious Abuses Of Civil Asset Forfeiture - Listverse

Last edited:
It's incorrect and perhaps intentionally inflammatory to say "police seize". The police have limited power to seize firearms without permission from a judge and a court order, just like it's always been.

But they did it. They seized the weapons, and going by the article, for good reasons, but as I said to another poster, what happens if someone you pissed off convinces the cops to convince a judge you are dangerous? You got the money to fight them AFTER they take all your stuff?

And so it starts. This time with someone who may actually be a threat. But notice no allegation of a crime-let alone due process and proof-no required testimony by mental health professionals, no compensation for the man's valuable property and no proof the man will ever actually get any promised hearing or that if they ever actually occur they won't be accompanied by required "legal fees" far higher than the average person could possibly afford. Tyranny dressed up to look good.

Just think of it. You piss someone off at work, or your ex gets a wild hair and its done. Bet Florida LE's are exempt from this.
Bullshit. You think LE's and judges are that stupid? They've heard a thing or two. Unless you're a homicidal/suicidal maniac, you have no worries.
You get more stupid with each post. These kinds of "laws" always get abused and can be used as tools to force people to do things they don't want to do. The fascists enforcing these laws rarely ever have them applied to them.
Give me a for instance.

Okay. I’m in your Facebook clique, and you inform your hourly you are done with him and that he needs to kick rocks. So he trolls every post on Facebook and here, finds something crazy sounding gives it to cops and tells them he thinks you will hurt your self or others. Then,

A cop gets drunk and has an argument with his woman. He gets pissed when she says she is leaving, so he slaps her face, throws her down, pulls his service weapon and fires it into the ground by her head, yet gets to keep his guns and even still be a cop.

More than 140 Minnesota cops are still on the job after being convicted of serious crimes

Time and again it’s proves that there are two separate legal systems. One for those who at “in” and us. You don’t have to have guns to get screwed by this law. Just be glad you don’t live in Florida.
What is happening with those cops has absolutely nothing to do with the Emergency act. Their private weapons should have been taken by law, if they were properly prosecuted, and I'd seriously question if they should be cops if they did something like that.

But anyway, this law will save lives, not ruin them. I realize you have no trust in your judges or LE, and that's too bad, but at least where I live, they've got half a brain and I'm pretty thankful for it. We are a pro-gun state and no one's guns are getting taken away without good reason.

I know you can't hear me, though, so I'm gonna give up arguing in circles with you.

Give me a for instance.

Okay. I’m in your Facebook clique, and you inform your hourly you are done with him and that he needs to kick rocks. So he trolls every post on Facebook and here, finds something crazy sounding gives it to cops and tells them he thinks you will hurt your self or others. Then,

A cop gets drunk and has an argument with his woman. He gets pissed when she says she is leaving, so he slaps her face, throws her down, pulls his service weapon and fires it into the ground by her head, yet gets to keep his guns and even still be a cop.

More than 140 Minnesota cops are still on the job after being convicted of serious crimes

Time and again it’s proves that there are two separate legal systems. One for those who at “in” and us. You don’t have to have guns to get screwed by this law. Just be glad you don’t live in Florida.
What is happening with those cops has absolutely nothing to do with the Emergency act. Their private weapons should have been taken by law, if they were properly prosecuted, and I'd seriously question if they should be cops if they did something like that.

But anyway, this law will save lives, not ruin them. I realize you have no trust in your judges or LE, and that's too bad, but at least where I live, they've got half a brain and I'm pretty thankful for it. We are a pro-gun state and no one's guns are getting taken away without good reason.

I know you can't hear me, though, so I'm gonna give up arguing in circles with you.

It has everything to do with it.

Really? Had a poster threaten to data mine me here and send the info to my Job. Now think hard, even though you aren’t a poster who says really crazy shit (Far as I know) anyone who diddnt like you can cut, paste and email to your cops and boom, all your rights are gone. You don’t own guns? Ma’am, I still need to check. No you say? Then you get tased , cuffed and stuffed.

Far as LE go’s, they can still have guns even if convicted of DUL or domestic violance. I bet five paychecks they won’t have to give up their guns/
No cop can do any of the above until a judge has been presented with clear and convincing evidence that I am dangerous. One thing we got here is a damned smart judge.
If anything good came from this tragedy, it is that this law got some much needed attention and will no doubt be passed in other states, too, that have been considering it.
It could easily be imagined that if this law had been in effect a year ago, Cruz would not have had the weapons to kill those kids and permanently scar the lives of how many?
There is nothing to be afraid of, unless you are crazy. And that's the truth.
More lying. Cruz was on every LE radar there is and they did nothing! In order for laws to work the LE people have to do something besides hide while murder is committed. Why do you trolls always lie?

Well, in fairness, he IS being observed and tested by psychiatric professionals, and the removal is temporary pending that report.

Do we think law enforcement is that stupid? I give you Sheriff Israel as Exhibit A.

Give me a for instance.

"But anyway, this law will save lives, not ruin them."

Unfortunately that remains to be seen. Laws-like cancer-are very hard to get rid of and are quite capable of causing bloodshed. Ask the British. Ask someone tasked with stealing property from and armed and dangerous person.

Really? Had a poster threaten to data mine me here and send the info to my Job. Now think hard, even though you aren’t a poster who says really crazy shit (Far as I know) anyone who diddnt like you can cut, paste and email to your cops and boom, all your rights are gone. You don’t own guns? Ma’am, I still need to check. No you say? Then you get tased , cuffed and stuffed.

Far as LE go’s, they can still have guns even if convicted of DUL or domestic violance. I bet five paychecks they won’t have to give up their guns/
No cop can do any of the above until a judge has been presented with clear and convincing evidence that I am dangerous. One thing we got here is a damned smart judge.
If anything good came from this tragedy, it is that this law got some much needed attention and will no doubt be passed in other states, too, that have been considering it.
It could easily be imagined that if this law had been in effect a year ago, Cruz would not have had the weapons to kill those kids and permanently scar the lives of how many?
More lying. Cruz was on every LE radar there is and they did nothing! In order for laws to work the LE people have to do something besides hide while murder is committed. Why do you trolls always lie?
I'm not talking about the guy who wouldn't go in the building. I'm talking about the LE who went to that home time and again and no doubt knew the kid was trouble. Did they even know the kid owned guns? There's no registration of guns because you gun nutters don't want your "privacy" violated, so who the hell knows if someone has one gun or twenty? But if they had a court order SIGNED BY A JUDGE after being shown CLEAR and CONVINCING EVIDENCE that Cruz was making threats and had actually engaged in violent behavior over and over, was involved in counseling, was unsuccessful in his home high school and had been saying for years he wanted to be a school shooter....well this new law will give the cops the chance to TRY anyway to remove the guns from the kid.

I'm not talking about the guy who wouldn't go in the building. I'm talking about the LE who went to that home time and again and no doubt knew the kid was trouble. Did they even know the kid owned guns? There's no registration of guns because you gun nutters don't want your "privacy" violated, so who the hell knows if someone has one gun or twenty? But if they had a court order SIGNED BY A JUDGE after being shown CLEAR and CONVINCING EVIDENCE that Cruz was making threats and had actually engaged in violent behavior over and over, was involved in counseling, was unsuccessful in his home high school and had been saying for years he wanted to be a school shooter....well this new law will give the cops the chance to TRY anyway to remove the guns from the kid.
More lying and spinning. LE had every chance to take his gun and did not act. It's on you! Liars like you that refuse facts.

Give me a for instance.

Unfortunately that remains to be seen. Laws-like cancer-are very hard to get rid of and are quite capable of causing bloodshed. Ask the British. Ask someone tasked with stealing property from and armed and dangerous person.
I'm sure it could be quite difficult to disarm a homicidal maniac.
Cops don't get paid enough, in my book.

More lying and spinning. LE had every chance to take his gun and did not act. It's on you! Liars like you that refuse facts.
Mike, please present those facts to me. I have not heard about any laws that would have allowed this kid to have his guns taken away. He had committed no crime. If there was some way he could have been disarmed, what was it?

Well, in fairness, he IS being observed and tested by psychiatric professionals, and the removal is temporary pending that report.

Why not done before a decision is made? And it is yet to be determined if the government will not simply destroy or "lose" his weapons no matter what decision is made. And if the government does in fact act in good faith this time who is to say that will always be the case?

Give me a for instance.

Agreed.
But LOEs and judges must also be held to legal standards the same as private citizens. Due process is an individual Constitutional Right that must take place before a person is penalized for a crime or misdemeanor. This person hasn't even been charged with either. Police seizures must be legal or they are in fact armed robbery and can be legally dealt with as such.

Give me a for instance.

Agreed.
But LOEs and judges must also be held to legal standards the same as private citizens. Due process is an individual Constitutional Right that must take place before a person is penalized for a crime or misdemeanor. This person hasn't even been charged with either. Police seizures must be legal or they are in fact armed robbery and can be legally dealt with as such.

OR, have a process that is not expensive, free is better to get the property returned.

Mike, please present those facts to me. I have not heard about any laws that would have allowed this kid to have his guns taken away. He had committed no crime. If there was some way he could have been disarmed, what was it?

Don't know about elsewhere but in my State that cop or a family member or anyone else with intimate knowledge of the person could contact a psychiatrist who (if he agreed) could contact a judge who could have the person legally committed for a period of observation and dealt with as appropriate afterward. I would call this proper procedure.

Why not done before a decision is made? And it is yet to be determined if the government will not simply destroy or "lose" his weapons no matter what decision is made. And if the government does in fact act in good faith this time who is to say that will always be the case?

There are actually legal provisions where the police have to replace items lost or damaged while in their possession, so that's not a huge worry.

As for the government acting in good faith, what makes you think I'm assuming they are or will?

Forum List

Back